Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Something has landed on Stronghold and caused 'strange occurance'. Should we investigate this unexplainabke threat or ignore it?

Investigate- Science demands it!
Ignore- it is trivial before our might, we have more important things to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stellaris Let's Play- Dead due to Broken Save  (Read 10673 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris Let's Play- Election Time and Sentient Life, Oh my.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:29 am »

...from now on I'm writing Tankkit as a pacifist with violent tendencies that he directs to a good cause. ;D

In other news, the only difference between the two candidates is one makes military stations cheaper and the other gives bonus influence. Of the two, personally I think the influence is more useful- but I might just be missing something obvious.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 07:50:20 am »

Military stations are generally not that useful this early, especially when you've yet to find anything really threatening. The influence will go much further.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:00 pm »

Alright then- Qing Zhu for Overseer and... how in the hell am I supposed to roleplay a xenophobic race bringing a alien race under thei- Oooooooo. I just had some ideas! *evil grin* You made a mistake- you never told me how to bring them under our... tentacle? Appendage? Fin? Flipper?

EDIT: Writing a fake interview/debate is hard, especially when you make both sides have good points.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:34:59 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 06:50:03 am »

It is difficult, yes. It's something I've run into with my own writing. Just keep in mind that both parties will have a specific goal or motive and won't be swayed easily or at all. They're both pushing an ideal or perspective and the interview isn't really about convincing one or the other but about convincing those watching.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stellaris Let's Play- Fangirling Out and Yet More Incompetence
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 08:18:47 am »

2210.04.01 Toady One System- Stronghold

I, Qing Zhu, am now Overseer!

For some reason, my predecessor didn’t even try to run for a second term- normally I’d make claims of him being arrogant, but surely the council would not have let someone like that get the job.

Well, his loss is my gain. Should probably read his logs to get myself up to date.

((Just noticed she got voted in on April First in-game…))

2210.05.01 Toady One System- Stronghold

My predecessor was an sack of putrid, rotting algae. That is all.

2210.07.18 Etzios System- Etzios Class-G Sun

I just got my first taste of URIST Mandate Holdings- they built a new type of power relay over the sun in Etzios, which is tapping into the suns solar energy.

It almost doubled the economy, and almost doubled my funding. Now I know why the previous Overseer
 Was always moaning about funding- I have to spread the funding of a decent sized land-bound nation across an interstellar nation still going through its growing pains.

2210.07.20 Toady One System- Stronghold

The great Zeinab sent me footage of a moon crashing into the Veere VII gas giant. Amazing, and the data and the discoveries we could make with this...  this is why I think we should focus on the sciences! For too long, our scientists have been working with equipment over a decade out of date. Its astonishing my predecessor made as far as he did!

Even the pirates had better laboratories. That’s just embarrassing.

2211.05.23 Diceri System- OD1N-619 Asteroid

The Decimator discovered a Cybrex Listening Post within the OD1N-619 Asteroid. Apparently my predecessor managed to at least not skimp out on the research ships, thank the tides.

I’m… a little terrified of the Cybrex, to be honest. Our technology has advanced by leaps and bounds off of their abandoned leftovers, they are that far ahead of us technologically. It’s… worrisome.

2211.10.02 Toady One System- Stronghold

The Trojan report casually mentioned their sensors detecting, and I quote, “more space whales again” in the Cieksulph.

I had no idea what they were talking about.

Neither did my xenobiologists- it was actually engineering who had any idea what I was talking about.

Apparently, anyone who has ever flown a space freighter does, because these things pop up on sensors “all the time”, and everyone assumed that I knew- after all, I had all the scientists and “fancy ships”.

In short: they’re harmless, they occasionally feed off the gases of a gas giant, and they’re constantly on the move for reasons we don’t yet know since our scientists who study these things didn’t know they existed.

Now, excuse me while I rant at the scientists who knew and never mentioned it to the people who are supposed to study these things.

2211.11.25 Diceri System- OD1N-619 Asteroid

The Cybrex Listening Post was working for at least 50 000 years after the Cybrex appeared to have moved on from this section from the galaxy, presumably because they’d cleared this section of the galaxy of life.

Even more intimidating is the fact it might still have worked to the present if it were not for the fact that some kind of… “Artificial Intelligence” running the facility committed suicide.

Until now, I had never even considered the possibility of a program becoming aware enough to consider committing suicide… our computers are so primitive in comparison that the possibility never crossed our minds! We were lucky, if that ‘Artificial Intelligence’ were still around the Cybrex may well have wiped us out by now…

2212.02.04 Toady One System- Stronghold

I finished one of those surveys my predecessor considered ‘useless’- with the completion of the ‘Habitable Worlds Survey’ came a little boost in funding!

…Sand in the Gills, I sound like the last Overseer.

It also brought in some public admiration of our hardworking scientists, something they don’t get often. I don’t think I’ve seen them so happy since the day I ordered them to dump any portraits of my predecessor into Sulphuric Acid.

2212.03.03 Toady One System- Toady One System- Stronghold

We finally figured out how those pirates’ deflectors worked, so I went to Admiral ‘Tankkit’ Naidoo to discuss refits.

And if I happened to bring my autograph book, well, I firmly deny any allegations of fangirling out.

I nervously met with him and asked to speak with his refit teams, only to get a blank look. According to him, they have never had refit. This is horrifying, since it means that the Venture-Class ships he’s using are of the original test platform design- they were never intended for combat, only testing so they could make a proper, spaceworthy version. Of course my predecessor was an ignorant fool and assumed it was the finished design. How so he did so much despite being incompetent is baffling in the extreme.

On the bright side, we have an enormous amount of data to work with to make a far better Venture-class, and I got to eat dinner with Naidoo. *girlish squee-ing sound before recording cuts out*

2212.05.15 Toady One System, Stronghold

My mandate has been fulfilled, assuring everyone who voted for me that I was a lady of my word. My dream of pushing Lu-Nin knowledge to new frontiers a success, I was happy to agree to an interview live. So excited!

I need a name for the last Overseer, first to claim it names it (within reason-nothing 4chan-worthy.)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:27:29 am by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris Let's Play- Fangirling Out and Yet More Incompetence
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 08:45:18 am »

Liang Nelsong
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »

Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait wait. Did I mis-read something, or is the overseer a fangirl/fanboy of my character... I'm not complaining, this should make for some intresting RPing in the future!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:17 am »

Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait wait. Did I mis-read something, or is the overseer a fangirl/fanboy of my character... I'm not complaining, this should make for some intresting RPing in the future!

You read right. The Overseer is a fangirl- I had a version where they simply met and cursed the last overseer (making fun of me is fun!), but then I had to watch one of my friends fangirl out over... something and was inspired. I hope it was amusing.

In other news, I'm going to come back to the interview once it 'clicks into place' as an... Omake? One-Shot? In the meantime I'll work on the next proper update to keep things moving. Sorry for the delay!
GENERATION 32:

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 06:39:38 am »

Take all the time you need, we'll be here.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 11:11:52 pm »

Shui "Euchre" Jiao, Head Diplomat reporting in!

If anybody cares, a report from the Head Diplomat for Xenophobic Affairs has just reached the new Overseer's desk
We at the Xenophobic Affairs department believe the following truths about the Ratzt Carbon Breathers and Galactic Society At Large:
1) If we exterminate them, anyone else we meet might hate us.  And they just might be more powerful than us, as our research into the Cybrex indicates that it is at least possible for technology beyond our own to exist in Xeno hands.
2) Slavery is not an option, as our polls of the local populace indicate general resentment to enslaving anything remotely sentient.  Killing is fine, but slavery is a "hot button issue".
3) We could try and live in harmony with them...but all that unrestricted carbon in their biosphere.  Plus, our studies show that most people believe that contact with the Ratzt Carbon Breathers would just make us all sick.

We therefore conclude that our best option is to just ignore the Ratzt Carbon Breathers.  Hopefully, when we have to acknowledge them as a spacefaring species in a 100 years or so, we won't have to be afraid of either them or other Xenos that might judge us for how we treat them.  I've heard interesting things from the scientists of The Zoo on what we might learn from covert observation...

Also on the Overseer's computer is a bio of Shui "Euchre" Jiao, Head Diplomat for Xenophobic Affairs
Shui "Euchre" Jiao has made a career of taking over the least desired jobs and putting minimal effort into completing them.  This has obviously culminated in his recent promotion to the newly created position of Head Diplomat for Xenophobic Affairs, perhaps the best paid job that nobody wants.  His famous daydreaming while others try to make demands has caused most not to bother anymore.  Rumor has it that almost his entire budget goes into furnishing his own office (complete with rather attractive staff), wardrobe, and expensive meals.  Anyone who complains is politely informed that "Those Xeno Scum would expect our Head Diplomat to act in such a way, obviously".

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 12:03:16 am »

Shui 'Euchre' Jiao is on my list of future Governors. In fact, he is the only one on my list of future Governors- I am accepting character claims!

Also- I don't have enough material for a proper update, but this is a important enough decision that you guys should have some input- Investigate or Ignore?

Investigating WILL kill a Pop immediately and devastate a tile, but may reap future benefits that are a bit of a spoiler.

Spoiler: Read at your own risk! (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Poll now up! Vote now!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:09:39 am by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stellaris Let's Play- Science is Dead, Hail Eldritch Madness!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:56 pm »

2212.06.15 Toady One System- Stronghold

My predecessor was a surprise guest at the interview. It… went downstream rather quickly.

Tankit is annoyed with the former Overseers reasons for not upgrading the fleet- he couldn’t convince the council to fund a ‘trivial’ refit. Unfortunately, without shielding technology, he simply didn’t have the leverage to convince them- all he could was expand the fleet and hope that quantity would make up for quality. I won’t admit it near the Admiral, but I have to concede this one… the Council simply wouldn’t care.

We both reamed on each others faults, and now the Council is mostly against me- I cannot rely on them as allies. Apparently, the Council doesn’t take kindly to their own being attacked from people not under their control, but areat least forced to be clandestine about it thanks to the support I have from the public.

Fine. I will make new allies- short of an Emergency Election, the Council will have to deal with me for another eight years and will learn to stay in line. Unlike my predecessor- although thanks to the groundwork he laid, I’ll give him that much now- I don’t have to rely on their goodwill to fund what I do.

We own and control patents and starcharts, have defence contracts and a hefty percentage of whatever profit is made from asteroid mining and power relays… we’ll be short on budget for awhile, but in time we’ll be stronger than ever!

2213.03.08 Toady One System- Stronghold

Tonight, we finally finally completed the refit of the fleet that has been long overdue. Touring the upgraded ships with Tankit was like taking a child to a toy store- I never thought I’d see anyone so excited over airtight bulkheads of all things!

The Admiral has expressed doubts on how useful the new shields will be in combat- he’s concerned we simply can’t put out enough power to sustain any sort of significant barrier... and the shields appear to be loosely based on Cybrex technology. He is grateful for the added durability, though… Tankit spent most of the day reminiscing how space debris be constantly tearing through the ship, forcing repair crews to work in shifts constantly… and the medical bay to always be full. Morale is at a new high, to say the least.

Meanwhile, URIST has launched another colony ship which is now heading towards Onxeis III. Haven’t heard anything more from them, curiously.

2213.04.03 Toady One System-Stronghold

Naidoo has changed the patrol routes to take advantage of the fact our ships no longer need constant repairs, allowing Lu-Nin to expand our borders and claim more territory.

2213.11.17 Umeet’e System- D-9-981 Asteroid

The Vagabond was destroyed while investigating some caverns on the D-9-981 Asteroid. Their last report describes the discovery of something ‘horrifically terrifying’ before a strange chant in a unknown language is heard and the screaming starts.  All signs point to the Vagabond having rammed the Asteroid as if to destroy what they found.

I’ve renamed the ISS Venture into the ISS Vagabonds Memory in their honor, and asked Tankit to bombard D-9-981… just in case. The public is in mourning, and to my surprise Liang is quietly visiting the families of the deceased crew himself. I… am ashamed to say I hadn’t thought about them, and now I wonder what else I’ve missed...

2214.02.03 Toady One System- Stronghold Spaceport

Something has impacted Stronghold near the Sakeni Yotta Ika Power Plant. At first it went unnoticed, ignored as a normal meteorite… but slowly reports started coming in. Rumours of strange sounds in the night, sightings of bizarrely malformed and aggressive versions of normal wildlife, an increase in Lu-Nin reported missing.

Of course, no one believed it was anything other than fear talking, so when Planetary Governor Hua He went in to reassure the populace there no one expected anything would go wrong… until we lost contact with everything in that sector.

The Council sent in a taskforce on the ground, only for the taskforce have to fight off the very land around them-the trees struck with their branches and roots, attempts to go around them through the kelp forests were met with disturbing, mutated toxin spewing serpents… Tankit ended up calling in the entire fleet to bombard the province from orbit, something we've never done to our own territory. He didn't take that order well, I think he's currently ripping through some minor pirates at the moment.

Eventually, whatever it is was contained and the distorted wildlife just withered away… Hua He was found, alive but insane, in a cargo container covered in scratches and surrounded by mounds of withered corpses.

We’ve identified what it was which caused this as some form of strange energy signature emitted by an object which is, thankfully, too weak to spread out from the now-quarantined Sakeni Yotta Ika.

The people want answers… but while our Physicists have identified three locations where the object may have come from, I fear this is far beyond our scope of understanding. The object appears to warp reality and time around itself and distort it- we can only clear its taint by bombarding it from orbit and hoping for the best. Given that the object wiped out all life around it, Council Member Liang has even voiced concerns the object may be an attack by the Cybrex! I'm more afraid of the possibility that it wasn't them... but instead another threat out to wipe us out.

2214.10.12 Laatis System- Laatis VIII

Unidentified structures have been found floating in the atmosphere of a Gas Giant during a survey mission. After some convincing, I’ve convinced URIST to finance an expedition led by Zienab to investigate the structures in hopes of finding ways to improve their Paturn IV Power Relay.

2214.12.20 Laatis System- Laatis VIII

The floating structures are the remains of a rather elaborate social experiment involving colonists of various species according to the databanks that are still on the structures.

Given the number of corpses and what our Forensics found, the experiment came to a violent end when the colonists massacred each other. What kind of scientist would run such a twisted, albeit interesting, experiment and not intervene when things took a turn for the worse?

…Would we do the same?

2215.03.03 Onxeis System- Colony II, As Yet Unnamed

Our Head Diplomat of Xenophobic Affairs, Shui ‘Euchre’ Jiao has been assigned to the new colony in hopes that the planets extraordinarily dangerous wildlife, volcanic activity and dangerous terrain will force him to do his work and STOP HITTING ON ME.

So far, his laziness and condescending attitude has proven too much for the planet to handle. In fact, there is a Science Team investigating his continued survival- they think he may have similar reality-warping abilities as the object that caused the ‘Distortion’ on Stronghold.

Speaking of Xenophobic Affairs, the populace is leaning in favor of ‘integrating’ the Denobulan. I should get around to that- Jiao obviously won’t.

2215.04.25 Laatis System- Laatis I

The Decimator has discovered an abandoned Solar Sailer similar to the one found during Liang Nelsongs term as Overseer. It’s curiously close to the abandoned social experiment, so I’ve ordered Zeinab to look for signs that they share origins.

2215.07.04 Shuyesh System- Shuyesh III

During my last inspection of our labs, I noticed that the Physicists under my command have invented all sorts of improvised equipment to get around the lack of funds my predecessor forced them to work with, making it difficult for different labs to collaborate.

No more- they now have to upgrade their labs to meet my standards by 2220, and I’ve given them the grants to do it. I shouldn’t be converting twenty different systems of measurement to understand a report on one barnacle gilled project.

2215.07.06 Laatis System- Laatis I

The ISS Decimator has been lost, along with Zeinab Alawi. No one is certain how it happened, but somehow a simulation of Solar Sailer inadvertently activated the Decimators self-destruct. Tankit is currently searching the wreckage for evidence- I haven’t seen him angry before, and I hope I never see it again. He destroyed the Solar Sailer in his rage, and frankly it was worth it to get him calmed down.

Liang has turned his funeral into a political event, the arrogant spawn of a parasitical, acid-breathing scavenger. I have secretly arranged for his ‘secret’ vacation spot on Rampart to be ‘accidentally’ leaked to the press- serves him right! I am regretting thinking he could ever have a selfless scale on his body- I bet when he gave his condolences to the families of the deceased from the Vagabond was also just politics!

The loss of Zeinab and the ISS Decimator has set back Scientific Progress by decades… but more importantly, he will be missed by his friends.

So, we have a planet to name! I'm leaving planet names to you guys from now on. Feel free to suggest names for other things as well- I can name pretty well anything in Soveriegn Stronghold space, up to and including every mining station and power relay. Stellaris is great like that.

Zienab Alawi and Maxwell are dead- the RNG Gods claimed their poor souls. Maxwell wasn't all that noteworthy until he died (as harsh as that sounds), but Zienab was involved in a lot- pretty well everything we know on the Cybrex was thanks to his efforts. How should we honor him?

Finally, a confession: I actually forgot about the Denobulan until I was proofreading this. I will get on that ASAP, I swear! *Gets pummeled by raging citizens*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:37:19 pm by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris Let's Play- Science is Dead, Hail Eldritch Madness!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 03:08:36 am »

Tankkit was in his admiral quarters, he only really went to his actual admiral quarters when he wanted some peace and quiet, because not alot of people can just waltz into an admiral's personal quarters. Unfortuantly, he wasn't getting any peace and quiet today, infact he hadn't been getting peace and quiet ever since that damn... thing, from D-9-981. He wasn't even sure what it was, all he knew was that it had ill intent, he knew that from what it had done. Planet wildlife going insane and killing everything, asteroid cults to strange beings, and even governers going insane and constantly babbling about 'It' and how 'The Cleansing Is Here', and that we should 'Run While We Still Can' or 'Face It's Wrath'.

He knew these events were connected, they had to be, he had done some study on the unknown language the people from D-9-981 were chanting and had found that the language appeared to be a combination of many ancient languages and modern ones, with a few unknown ones mixed in. He hadn't been able to translate what the actual words to the strange combination of languages yet, but he should be able to do it eventually, he just needed moire time, and luck, for if whatever was causing these events found that he was trying to find out a way to stop it...

Heh heh heh heh...
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 01:13:28 pm »

Please note I have two Science Ships I have to replace, which means two new Scientists- if you wish to claim one, now is a good time!

Nice, I like it TankKit. Does the Admiral have any opinions on the name of the new planet or how to honor Zeinab?

GENERATION 32:

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »

[Insert existing name here] Nelsong.

Name a planet after Zeinab?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4