Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Culture Shock expansions "Developer and Publisher" explaining and stuff.

(1/2) > >>

Asin:
About the Culture Shock expansions, I have a plan for people who wanna make one and have it be official and that kind of stuff.

How it'll go down:

1. Dude develops expansion.

2. He messages me and tells me about it.

3. I make a topic about it and have it get sent through.

Basically it's like you're (or someone else is) the developer and I'm the publisher.

How do you feel about it?

skelepound:
You should make ur own game tbh. You seem adept with DF modding, which isnt much diff from java in complexity. I say fom experience, it'll take you a month or two to get good enough to begin work on your game, assuming it aint hyperambitious. And ur fairly creative from what i've seen - learn Game Maker, Rpg Maker, Java, or something else easy-ish, and you might be able to make something really quite rad.

bloop_bleep:
You might also try to start with something like Python with the Pygame library, since Python is basically the easiest-to-understand professional computer programming language out there.

StagnantSoul:
RPG Maker is the best! I definitely suggest using that if you're making your own game.

Putnam:

--- Quote from: skelepound on February 25, 2017, 01:36:19 am ---You seem adept with DF modding, which isnt much diff from java in complexity.

--- End quote ---

Haha, wow, as someone who likely has a lot more experience than you in DF modding, DF modding is nowhere near any programming in complexity, not by a long shot. It's one of the easiest games to mod around.

--- Quote from: skelepound on February 25, 2017, 01:36:19 am ---learn Game Maker, Rpg Maker, Java, or something else easy-ish

--- End quote ---

Is Java the only programming language you've ever used? It's one of the more complicated ones in my experience, or rather, it forces you to use bonkers design decisions due to its extreme focus on OOP.

--- Quote from: bloop_bleep on February 25, 2017, 02:31:28 am ---You might also try to start with something like Python with the Pygame library, since Python is basically the easiest-to-understand professional computer programming language out there.

--- End quote ---

These days, I'd agree, but it might be better to go with Unity or Godot or similar. Godot is the game engine I've used with the best 2D support so far. I haven't picked up game maker because it doesn't seem like it supports my person style of development much (I.E. actually code as much as possible).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version