Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Besieged by Scholars?  (Read 1033 times)

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
Besieged by Scholars?
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »

So I just had a siege that consisted of a few goblins, a few beak dogs and then a whole shit ton of human scholars and astronomers!

I raised my draw bridge and had by marksdwarfs fend off the close ones and waited for about a season until i got tired of them just standing there and got my axe dwarves lined up at the gate ready to attack when i lowered the draw bridge. The draw bridge lowers and a band of 7-8 scholars a beak dog and a goblin split off from the group and head toward by bridge. Right when they get to the bridge a human caravan shows up and the ENTIRE clan of about 50 scholars all turn friendly and act like nothing happened.

They are all currently heading to my taverns a library like they are my best friends! Anyone ever have anything like this happen!? It seems like a great story... maybe ill elaborate a little. 
Running the entire world on a 2008 macbook!

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
Re: Besieged by Scholars?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:16:17 pm »

There are also a couple of human poets and a marksman in the mix. I wonder if they are all going to join my fortress.

As a side note I did buy up an entire human caravan a few seasons back. I paid for everything they had with about 50 lavish meal barrels that where about 7000-10000* each. Maybe this triggered some sort of mass migration/siege wave heading to my fortress. Maybe when the caravan arrived they let the other humans know about what happened and they where like "aaaa, thats cool."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:08 am »

Nothing stops visitors from showing up alongside sieges. Did you check that the visiting scholars actually are marked in units list as "Invader"?

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:25:25 am »

Ah that must have been what happened. I guess the Siege just happened to end right when the caravan came? Im not exactly sure what happened to all of the attacking units. Maybe they got killed by the arriving scholars.... In that case good for them! The pen is indeed mightier than the sword!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:10:08 am »

Sapient invaders do not (usually) fight visiting civilians, so they can quite happily be present at the same time. Also, caravans do not show up during a siege, so I think the invaders were of the one season kind (the other one lasts a year: I know of no way to distinguish between the two other than waiting), leaving by the end of the season.

And, do you know you can use modify your post rather than double posting? That's usually easier on the readers.

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:34 pm »

What im figuring happened was the scholars where showing up over the siege, starting various fights with the invaders until the siege ended and the caravan arrived. That makes more sense now that I review the map and see how many dead goblins there are on the map. Maybe the scholars where left alone by the siege until their numbers rose to a high enough level that they where able to overthrow the invasion. Either way they killed about 30 goblins and beak dogs so they really took care of that for me!

I also think that there was a large influx of scholars because I am years and years into the fort but never built a library due to something happening where I cant build bookshelves for some reason. So it took me a while to decide to build a place to house the library and as soon as i did it seems like a whole boat load of scholars showed up. The shear number of them is what originally caught me off guard. Maybe they where queuing up waiting for the library to get built.