Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sending squads off map  (Read 2171 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Sending squads off map
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:19:07 pm »

So I have just read that you will be able to send squafs off the map in the future update, which is damn awesome. What do you guys think of that?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Sending squads off map
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »

i love the idea, it means a couple different things

#1: we can invade other fortresses
#2: we have a reason to build up a huge military
#3: we can steal other sites resources, weapons, and even artifacts

another thing i would like to see would be sending out our own caravans to trade with small villages and other civilizations
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:38:24 pm »

I'm really hoping we can do so with mounts... I'd love to send my warriors riding off on giant lions, or rhinos, or even cave dragons... All the treasure and resources and artifacts they could bring back! Maybe even send them to assault a fortress, and take over it's mines, sending back some ore every once in a while.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:50 pm »

I want my dwarves to use colossi like Gundams.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:23 pm »

It's great! Loads of potential.

But it's a bit early to get excited about the next release. From what we know so far we'll be able to send out sqauds of dorfs to recover artifacts. Artifacts which are as useless as they are in the current release. Kind of a fun but risky way to help dwarves meet needs like 'wander' and 'have excitement'.

The potential is great of course, and it'll hopefully help sort out bugs like hello-goodbye sieges as off-map pathing gets scrutinised.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16:45 pm »

It's been a while coming for sure, glad to see it's finally happening.

As Shonai mentioned though, the first pass for this feature will very likely limit this sending out of squads to just artifact retrieval and such. But once the base is put down, it'll make things like sending out armies to assault foreign sites hang lower on the feature tree.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:08:18 am »

The problem with off-map fighting is that you won't see any of it - you'll just send off 10 dwarves and get back 0-10 dwarves and maybe, typically, a wooden scepter or something. While a neat way to rid yourself of night creatures, that site you attacked is now weakened and will send less great sieges - imagine killing off most of the undead in a necro tower and then getting a pitiful siege of 10 dead in retaliation. Though at least you could use this to provoke a war with an ally, I expect.

Far more interesting is how the artifact seekers will target your fort from more distant out. My worst case scenario is that this could mean that it becomes even harder to get good sieges, as you'll no longer be able to rely on big and close settlements for them as they'll block out their racial slot with lower tier trigger.

But my best case scenario is that you could get ambush parties and sieges from every hostile settlement within a range far larger than 30 tiles.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 03:12:30 am »

I would LOOOOVE that feature.

Perhaps eventually a sort of integration between politics, trading, and military force could develop, so an ally you send reinforcements to brings more things next trade season, and you could demand yearly tribute from a site that you threaten to conquer.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 03:25:16 am »

The problem with off-map fighting is that you won't see any of it - you'll just send off 10 dwarves and get back 0-10 dwarves and maybe, typically, a wooden scepter or something. While a neat way to rid yourself of night creatures, that site you attacked is now weakened and will send less great sieges - imagine killing off most of the undead in a necro tower and then getting a pitiful siege of 10 dead in retaliation. Though at least you could use this to provoke a war with an ally, I expect.

Far more interesting is how the artifact seekers will target your fort from more distant out. My worst case scenario is that this could mean that it becomes even harder to get good sieges, as you'll no longer be able to rely on big and close settlements for them as they'll block out their racial slot with lower tier trigger.

But my best case scenario is that you could get ambush parties and sieges from every hostile settlement within a range far larger than 30 tiles.
This will be where the off-map rumours screen that didn't quite make the taverns release can be used. They'll come back and spout a wall of text about what they've been doing with a handy map to let you know where they've been (and where the next irate army might be coming from).

If they take a long time about it, would be nice to have visitors mention rumours about them too. Nice to hear that they're still alive 2 years after you gave them up for dead.

10 adventuring thieves won't make a dent in a site hosting a big army. Rather that army will now be targeting your site instead of someone else's, actually increasing the Fun sieges you get.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:27:23 am by Shonai_Dweller »

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:25:23 am »

Well, if the necromantic slab is considered an artifact that'd be awesome.

Would be pretty cool to enable vaults to maybe try reclaiming artifacts you've stolen too.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 01:42:02 pm »

Well, if the necromantic slab is considered an artifact that'd be awesome.

Exactly what I was thinking

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 04:43:10 pm »

I want my dwarves to use colossi like Gundams.

Made this for you.

Go Go Sock Rangers
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0