Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Constant drowning  (Read 1115 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Constant drowning
« on: February 25, 2017, 04:53:29 pm »

Since the last update my miners continually drown in unrelated murky pools. These pools are not on their way to anything, and there was no reason for them to go to that part of the map.

I just find them, and only miners, dead in a pool. Constantly.

Any idea what's up with that?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constant drowning
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »

Only thing I can think of is the buggy pathing that can lead to visitors and enemies to enter pools on their way to the fortress. When DFHack teleported up to the edge they immediately return back down, Teleport them sufficiently far away and they find their way.

Your problem is probably something else, though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:56:29 pm »

They are already dead by the time I find them, and there are plenty of paths open to them. Closer paths, even.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:33 pm »

The only solution is to drain the ponds, and to obliterate their ability to gain water with paving.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:20:49 pm »

I mean that would stop em' drowning, but I want to find out why.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:16:19 pm »

Sort of seems like there are two questions.  Why are the miners going to the lakes, and why are they drowning there?  Wandering toward lakes could be thirst (but the rest of the fort would probably be parading there too), or some odd mining designation (but why isn't that evident?).  Them drowning suggests falling or being pulled in - the initial stun from the fall can easily become lethal underwater.  Could be a creature that drags them in (but you'd probably notice it, or its corpse...), a creature they dodge away from, or ice converting to water (causing them to fall).

I don't even know if it's possible, but my best guess would be something like the lakes freeze to ice, you've got a mining designation for one of those ice tiles, so a miner sets out; while there, the ice converts to water, the miner drowns, and the designation is invisible, ready to kill the next miner with the next freeze.  Like I said, I don't even know if that's possible (having a designation 'ghost' on ice->water->ice), but it's my best guess.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 04:02:17 pm »

Maybe it melted as they went across it?
Or they dodged a wildlife and fell in?
Or maybe a ghost pushed them in?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:34 pm »

MELTED.

It is a sometimes-frozen biome.

That must be it.

I'm building a large structure, and I bet the miners when not mining are helping build it and pathing over ice, which then melts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:02:22 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:50:40 pm »

Well, there you go. Floor over the ponds?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »

Yes indeed.

Thanks for the help, fellow dorfs.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 02:14:14 pm »

Did you change the text in your forum icon to memorialize your noble idiotsdwarves?

Because if so, lel.  I coulda sworn it said something different recently.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 02:23:47 pm »

It rotates! Hit refresh a few times :)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 04:06:26 pm »

Yes indeed.

A slightly simpler method that I use while paused at embark is to paint every water surface as a 'Restricted' tile (d-o-r).  You need to remember to paint it back to normal when you add bridges though.  A little tedious but I find this prevents almost all pond drownings and greatly minimizes river drownings.  It's not foolproof - lumber haulers will still fetch logs on ice, haulers might fetch goblinite on ice, etc.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »

Yes indeed.

A slightly simpler method that I use while paused at embark is to paint every water surface as a 'Restricted' tile (d-o-r).  You need to remember to paint it back to normal when you add bridges though.  A little tedious but I find this prevents almost all pond drownings and greatly minimizes river drownings.  It's not foolproof - lumber haulers will still fetch logs on ice, haulers might fetch goblinite on ice, etc.

This is quite clever. Thank you.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 05:38:15 pm »

I had this problem as well. Turned out that it was a combination of "poor pathing decisions in melting season" and "Oh! Hey! A sock!" (or in this case, a pick. We didn't have many, but the migrants that year wanted to start mining, and there was a pick in the nearest pond....)

If you floor over it it should be okay, but while I was flooring over the worst offender, I had a weregiraffe attack
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and we left just a single tile not floored over. So next year, the migrants all went over to the floor, and drowned themselves again.... It took me three more migrant waves to get rid of the Drowning Pit of Doom. By then it was floating with many dead bodies, socks, and not less than five good quality weapons.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: [1] 2