Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petitions and citizenship  (Read 705 times)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Petitions and citizenship
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:56:30 pm »

Wiki says after I accept residents citizenship request I need to unassign their occupation to nothing to be able to control them properly.
Now I have several bards and poets that are citizens and I want them to work in the inn officially. But I cannot change their occupation. They do the labors and I can assign them labors from the Therapist but I cannot make them performers in my inn and temples.
What am I doing wrong?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Petitions and citizenship
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:09:21 pm »

I think they need to be living there for a certain amount of time before they become actual citizens.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:45 pm »

You're saying I have to wait 2 years before they ask for citizenship and then wait another amount of time before they become actual citizens?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »

Hmmmm nope I was thinking of the wrong thing.

Yeah they should be able to have assigned labor at that point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:03:56 pm »

As I said before thei do have a labors. But they cannot be assigned as performers because their occupation is still "Resident performer" and I cannot change it. But wiki says there is some way to do it.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:21:48 pm »

-) Note the name of the citizen you want to alter.
-) Go to the 'l'ocations screen.
-) The first listed location should be the fortress itself.
-) In the righthand panel, get the cursor to the citizen you're trying to alter.
-) Hit 'enter', as though you're going to be picking a new citizen for that job slot.
-) The first entry in that 'pick a new person to fill this job' list is "Nobody".  Select that.
-) The citizen is no longer a fortwide-whatever, and can be assigned another occupation as desired.

(and for what it's worth, this is described on the wiki's "Visitor" page - is my description different enough to make sense, if the wiki's didn't?)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 08:26:16 pm »

My point is that I do exactly as wiki and you say but it doesn't work. I cannot change occupation for that person. The option is just disabled.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:59 pm »

You have to remove them from the fort-wide occupations list before you can assign any occupation to them.  That's what the instructions are trying to direct you toward - removing their current occupation, using the fort-wide occupations list in the 'l'ocations menu, since the more commonly used 'v'iew units menus don't present the option.

Can you find the converted citizens in the fort-wide occupations list?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:02:26 am »

And also note that the ability to assign them to locations is fairly new, as they were locked to the fortress wide location initially. Thus, if you're not using the latest version, check the release notes of the later versions to see if the fix for that was introduced later.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 06:12:58 am »

I'm using 0.43.3 from LNP.
Yes I can find them in fort-wide occupations list but I cannot remove them in any way from there. I cannot change them to "Nobody" or change it in any other way. The "Enter: Assign Occupation" option at the bottom is grey means disabled and pressing Enter does nothing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 07:07:20 am »

And you obviously did NOT read the release notes. From the 0.43.04 section:
"   (*) Allowed new citizens with some previously site-wide occupations to be reassigned"

So yes, it doesn't work in the version you use. So you'll either have to upgrade or live with it.
There's a DT less 64 bit LNP fresh off the press if you want to go that route. It's also possible to use the Windoze barebones 32 bit and manually add DT and a memory map for that DF version.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 07:16:05 am »

I see now.
Thanks friend.