Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game froze after a cave-in  (Read 544 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game froze after a cave-in
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:47:45 pm »

I built a caravan trap trading platform that was supported by a pillar *cough*.
But when I pulled the lever and caused the expected cave-in, the game just froze up.
At first I thought it crashed, but after 10 minutes waiting, the game returned to normal, leaving some dead merchants.

Edit*

And floating wagons.

Edit*

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162044.0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:53:07 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game froze after a cave-in
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 02:34:59 am »

Well... a cave in causes a fuckton of calculations to be done, for dust and related effects, for the flying items, stuff that might be crushing through layers, all that. As a single-thread program (I believe the graphics are on an independent thread, but I'm not sure of that - but for sure DF is not parallelized to any real extent), all that will take a while to calculate. The floating wagons are... a different issue.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:49:11 am »

Huh... A gold breastplate... With an image of my militia commander, striking down a hydra... Assign to him... Or no...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:15:37 pm »

Maybe there were too many items because a normal cave in doesn't freeze the game for that long.

I tried it another time, the game crashed after several minutes.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »

out of curiousity what CPU do you have? im interested in how the CPU affects DF since it has to do so many things with only 1 thread
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 05:34:12 pm »

Yeah, I think it's because of the large number of items. A normal human caravan has like 200 items, I think, so it takes even more time to calculate what to do with all of those.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:43:15 am »

It's not purely an issue of the number of items. A coin-star had 1000 coins without an issue (apart from it changing from a training device to an injury device as DF changed). There were presumably a fairly large number of creatures involved as well.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 03:30:32 pm »

Oh yes, has to calculate the cave-in damage for all them. But wait, can they get harmed if they're in cages?...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.