Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Should i become a writer?  (Read 6856 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Should i become a writer?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 08:46:12 am »

Seriously, just write about anything. Your dreams, any random thoughts that pop in your head, participate more in the forums, learn more languages /scripting,learn encryption/steganography, anything and everything is interesting to people.

There's transcriptionist jobs if you want to learn to type faster - the material may/may not be interesting.

Honestly, anything you should do should be about the love. If you're thinking about writing, you're probably not in imminent danger. Therefore, do something you will have a modicum of passion for. This way, your skill will improve at a noticeable pace and you're much more likely to be noticed. That being said, pretty much every field everywhere is saturated. You're going to just scrape by, no matter what. Learn from everything, if nothing else it's a completely irreplicable experience for better or worse. :)

TL;DR Live, thrive.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 08:52:30 pm »

High supply; low demand.
Writing is a very competitive field. And most people aren't willing to spend money unless it's on erotica.
It is also a very rewarding field, and you can improve (in that, the more you pump-out, the better you'll get)! I dunno. I keep getting writer's block when my characters start dying-off.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 09:53:04 pm »

Are you writing fairly linearly? maybe you need to plan more long term, and overlapping arcs for your characters.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 10:43:37 pm »

I'm definitely unemployed, but I do need to get things together.
No. Been down that road, it's even less easy than you think. The constant pressure to finish the book and market it destroys its quality, and you will recognize it and it will not be a happy place you'll be in.

Writing is a craft. It makes you think about people and the world in more detail than most people ever bother with. It makes you grow as a person because putting them down somewhere, you start to understand your preconceptions and blind-spots for others, and are then able to transform them however you wish. That's not nothing.

You should absolutely write, as in give a bit of your day over to writing, every day. If you do that, you'll write. You'll finish books. They'll be better researched and better put together than if you try to make it your daily grind. People will want to read them, even if they aren't willing to pay, and that's still amazing if you think about it. To be a professional author straight out of the gate is unrealistic and it will almost certainly not improve your situation. Whoever made 'hobbyist' a thing of shame in our culture is a moron.

If you're looking for a career, consider what the happiest or even just most well-developed characters in your book do. It's probably something you're passionate about but aren't willing to consider because you think it'll be harder than this. It isn't. I would say even trying to become an astronaut is more realistic, because at least along the way you'll pick up a degree or two that you can apply elsewhere, even as just proof of "Hey, I have the attention span and commitment to become an actual real-life geologist, I can be trusted to do an unrelated thing like receptionist so that I have time for my family/writing."

Please don't force yourself down a path that's completely outside of your control to complete, and completely unnecessary towards the goal of actually writing. [Edit: just saw how much of a necro this is. Since so many people are saying "Don't do it!" I stand by the importance of saying "Do it for the lulz."]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:49:42 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 10:13:10 pm »

Please don't force yourself down a path that's completely outside of your control to complete, and completely unnecessary towards the goal of actually writing. [Edit: just saw how much of a necro this is. Since so many people are saying "Don't do it!" I stand by the importance of saying "Do it for the lulz."]
Yeah, been off DF community for a while, iv'e been on a quest for self exploration...
So far, it turns out, I'm more of a Jack-of-all trade person, soo...i guess its good that i can do many things, but the only down side is that i don't have the willpower to dedicate my self into something specific so for so long, and no, not just work, video games too apparently (that includes DF)...
 :D :D :D

High supply; low demand.
Writing is a very competitive field. And most people aren't willing to spend money unless it's on erotica.
It is also a very rewarding field, and you can improve (in that, the more you pump-out, the better you'll get)! I dunno. I keep getting writer's block when my characters start dying-off.
I believe so, market competition is something, that's why i ended up taking 3D animation for my Uni major instead of commerce
(see, that's another topic on its own to talk, i started my junior high school on biology, chemistry and arts, then i shifted in into biology, business management, and environment science, along the way, i also picked up literature and philosophy, on my free time i took C# and python, robotics, barista training, marksmanship, and hydroponics, after that, in my college, i had journalism, public relations, and media studies, and communication theory studies) sometimes i wonder what i would become...

Seriously, just write about anything. Your dreams, any random thoughts that pop in your head, participate more in the forums, learn more languages /scripting,learn encryption/steganography, anything and everything is interesting to people.

There's transcriptionist jobs if you want to learn to type faster - the material may/may not be interesting.

Honestly, anything you should do should be about the love. If you're thinking about writing, you're probably not in imminent danger. Therefore, do something you will have a modicum of passion for. This way, your skill will improve at a noticeable pace and you're much more likely to be noticed. That being said, pretty much every field everywhere is saturated. You're going to just scrape by, no matter what. Learn from everything, if nothing else it's a completely irreplicable experience for better or worse. :)

TL;DR Live, thrive.
Thanks, these kinds of things always help me move forward, sometimes I'm just so grounded in reality i don't even remember my dreams

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 01:16:33 am »

I'm a publishing consultant for a publishing house. ask me anything (aside from the address, I won't be naming my company and will act neutral).

Since this is Bay12, I will spare some bullshit I use to get sales from people, and tell you exactly what to expect. Your own motivation will get you through writing, at the end of the day. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

First thing off the bat, there's a ton of publishing houses, and even more aspiring authors. Some publishing houses don't know their crap, like Kinkos, some are barebones like Createspace... Some of them sleazy like Page Publishing, and tons of them way more expensive, like most of Author Solutions' imprints.

Second, writing is an easy activity to enter. Everyone can write a story. At least a few sentences. End it? Enjoy the stress. Don't rush yourself, or else quality will drop and you're doing your readers a disservice.

Now, how expensive is getting your book out there? Xlibris, one of the more transparent-yet-expensive imprints in the publishing business have a 'Basic' publishing package starting at $899.00 and their most expensive is $15,299.00

Too expensive for you? You can try a traditional publisher - good luck getting one, as traditional publishers are also limited on their funds and they look at authors like they look at investments - typically when investing stocks on a good market, you want to hit a stock that's both cheap and has projected growth ratios. Meaning to say, they'll hit on the popular authors first, perhaps smoke some weed and get a few from the wayside very rarely, and throw out the rest.

There's a hundred million and up books in the world. Your chances to get seen by a traditional publisher is close to nil if you have no history.

Now, going back to Xlibris, what's nice at least is that, after you pay for the packages, you only rake in NET royalties. Some companies promise high royalty percentage, but ask their consultants if those are net royaltie or gross royalties, or if you have to pay an annual stocking fee. Everything else in Xlibris otherwise is either profit for business continuity purposes, or payment for internal channel distribution. If you can't stomach only getting 25% net off a 15 dollar book per sale, then writing is not really a good investment for you. Same goes with 50% off a 5 dollar ebook, and 10% off the same 15 dollar book, if bought from Amazon, or anywhere else but there website.

What they usually recommend is that, if you're writing a novel for fun, grab a basic black and white, and if you're writing for profit, grab a Premium package. Premium costs $3,999, and only has the slightest touch on marketing promotions - your own website, a listing from their own app magazine BookMad and a press release on approximately around a hundred channels who will hawk your book to the public that 'it's out'.

Now, why market a book? There's millions of books out there - what makes your book unique? How do you let other people know it exists? By marketing it, and making a noise, of course.

Then there's the issue of Copy Editing - on Createspace, it's a DIY, so no copy editing services unless you buy for it. Xlibris has some inhouse copy editing, but prices vary on wordcount, and of course, if it's included in your package. Traditional publishing? A team will work with you, but you basically need a name for yourself before you can even grace their steps.

If you even forget to capitalize the letter 'i' when referring to yourself on this topic, it's a massive hit on your credibility as an author (Sorry, but I needed to point that out for this example).

Kathi Macias has a better article for this thing than I do, but if you have any questions as a fellow Bay12er, I'm happy to answer any of those.

Know this: It's not easy becoming an author, and it's no guarantee to excellence above your peers.

edit: NECROOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:28:24 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 02:20:55 am »

:'(
It's so nice seeing you up there Trapezohedron u_u
And/or it's somehow something about me that likes seeing a countryman doing awesome stuff :P

Since this is Bay12, I will spare some bullshit I use to get sales from people, and tell you exactly what to expect. Your own motivation will get you through writing, at the end of the day. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
This is one of the most important points to know for any writer--and in a more general category, for any person where work can pressure you and doubts can form with what you want to do in time. EQ by far, is one of the major factors in how effective one will be in any field of work, inclusive with how they may generally handle pressure or face challenge. You will be allocating time to doing this, much of how to get around to doing it consistently is much in part with one's attitude.
[...]What I'm asking is that I want to know the hardship and merits of being one. ex. being an AAA game dev can pour you in tons of $, but living conditions requires you to have 40h of work per week-possibly more, deadlines are strict, and competition is fierce, etc.

I'm looking for a place in the world, I'm not quite sure what to do with my life, I'm not stuck, I'm definitely unemployed, but I do need to get things together.

Thanks for the advice
I could suggest building upon yourself, and then putting yourself in places where you want to be--what can benefit your current condition (and those you care about too) in the long run. In writing or publishing, there may be a lot of uncertainty in the future, given the competition at least from what I see and have read in my inexperienced opinion. I have also seen many books published, at first solely because the author wanted to write a book for family or on their own scale of view in life, detailing their own bit of life in clear detail.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 08:18:46 am »

:'(
It's so nice seeing you up there Trapezohedron u_u
And/or it's somehow something about me that likes seeing a countryman doing awesome stuff :P

This is one of the most important points to know for any writer--and in a more general category, for any person where work can pressure you and doubts can form with what you want to do in time. EQ by far, is one of the major factors in how effective one will be in any field of work, inclusive with how they may generally handle pressure or face challenge. You will be allocating time to doing this, much of how to get around to doing it consistently is much in part with one's attitude.
[...]What I'm asking is that I want to know the hardship and merits of being one. ex. being an AAA game dev can pour you in tons of $, but living conditions requires you to have 40h of work per week-possibly more, deadlines are strict, and competition is fierce, etc.

I'm looking for a place in the world, I'm not quite sure what to do with my life, I'm not stuck, I'm definitely unemployed, but I do need to get things together.

Thanks for the advice
I could suggest building upon yourself, and then putting yourself in places where you want to be--what can benefit your current condition (and those you care about too) in the long run. In writing or publishing, there may be a lot of uncertainty in the future, given the competition at least from what I see and have read in my inexperienced opinion. I have also seen many books published, at first solely because the author wanted to write a book for family or on their own scale of view in life, detailing their own bit of life in clear detail.

I'm always around, mostly lurking nowadays unless it's discord. :3 Anyway, nice to see you again, Tir.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 10:40:14 pm »

Yesterday I listened to this programme about writers on BBC 4: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09fzmjt. Writers in the UK earn about £11,000 per year. So I chime in to what others in the thread suggested. Get a job to earn a living and write in your free time. You'll be less productive than full-time writers, but at least you'll have something to live on.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

TWO CATATA

• Bay Watcher
  • twin kavat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 09:13:42 am »

Beware of vanity publishing scams, typically they will ask you to put a lot of money up front to "publish", they will badmouth "traditional publishers" while running a business on the same kind of principles and lack of ethics as a pyramid scheme - the way it's set up, they make money even when they expect nearly all the books not to many any money, so they'll say all kinds of things under the rainbow to try con people and take advantage of peoples' hope or ego. There's a LOT of stuff warning about these kind of companies and you just have to search up vanity publishing scams on Duckduckgo/Ixquick/Startpage.

http://archive.today/2018.11.19-035320/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_press

http://archive.today/2014.06.11-183507/http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Vanity_publishing

http://archive.today/2018.12.23-162153/http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/self-publishing-scams/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:30:43 am by TWO CATATA »
Pages: 1 [2]