Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unkillable camel hair  (Read 666 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Unkillable camel hair
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:29:40 am »

So I created a fortress in a haunted region, and I butchered one of the camels you start with. I tried to dump all their body parts in the local volcano, but I was unable to do this in time and some hair was reanimated.

Here's where things get interesting. I sent my militia after it, as one does, but it didn't die. This is the combat log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, all the attacks either glanced away, or passed through the camel hair. So I need a non violent solution to this, otherwise they will battle in my meeting hall and interrupting tasks until my dwarves starve to death because their food is in there. Any ideas?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unkillable camel hair
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:39:46 am »

Kill it with fire. Hair IS flammable.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:23:44 pm »

How do I light it on fire without flooding the base with magma?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:49:10 pm »

I assume it's a head hair. Head hair and head skin is almost or completely unkillable in combat, resulting in dorfs dying of dehydration.
Personally I consider the head thingies to be too bugged, and kill them using the DFHack command "exterminate him/her".

Cage traps can trap undead body parts (assuming they didn't come from trap avoiders). While magma would work, it's probably too much effort to engineer. Mine carts contain 2/7 units of magma, which will evaporate when poured out, unless it's into a single tile hole.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »

As someone who has never even touched DFhack and cannot engineer anything to kill this thing because it is in the area with all of my stuff, it sounds like I'm screwed.  :-[

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 03:25:22 pm »

How do I light it on fire without flooding the base with magma?

Careful dwarven engineering.

Wall off the area it's in, as close to it as possible, and get everyone out. Then add magma until it's dead. Then you add water, and mine out everything else from the obsidian that forms. Then un-hide it all.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:07:13 pm »

Wall off its area, then place cage traps all over.  Then open the wall.  It should get caught, at which point you can keep it in a zoo or dump it into magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 05:15:19 pm »

- Contain the area with walls as well as you can without getting into sight of the hair, or they'll either flee or join the fight.
- Build a cage trap in each entrance tile (should be out of sight as well, of course).
- Remove all your fighting militia from their squads. With some luck they'll stop fighting and leave.
- If you manage to get all of them to leave the hair would now try to follow and get caught in one of the traps.
- If some dorfs insist on keeping on fighting, they're probably doomed with you as overseer (based on your self described engineering prowess). Wait until they die and make sure to use civilian alert burrows to keep other dorfs from trying to retrieve their socks and bodies (probably in that priority order). Forbid everything (including the corpses) as they die. When the last dorf is dead the hair will again seek living victims and should thus end up in one of the cage traps.

If using magma, you probably don't even need to obsidianize it, as you probably add a sufficiently small amount that it will evaporate.

Another engineering based approach is to use a cave-in to smash the hair if possible, or send it into cage traps on a carefully prepared level below. The cages may catch stunned dorfs who might be possible to save before dying of dehydration, but probably not.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »

The thing about the hair itself is that it isn't capable of harming my dwarves either. It is capable of doing as much to them as they are to it. That being said, with it at my food stockpile, and pickaxes, and mechanisms, and masons workshop, and meeting hall, and pretty much every other freaking thing I need to function as a dwarven society...

Screw it, I'm downloading DFhack.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 06:55:07 pm »

I had a similar problem with a hair, even perfectly made a cave in trap for the pack of four horse hairs crawling around, and then a grizzly hair walked by the lever for the support...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:53:10 am »

So DFhack caused me to have to re-extract dwarf fortress not once, but twice. I saved my worlds and single modded creature first though, so the only things lost are my time and my patience  >:(

I'm just gonna call that fortress a lost cause.