Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about engravings.  (Read 1938 times)

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about engravings.
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:55:27 pm »

Is there a way to make engraved tiles look different from smoothed tiles that isn't just showing a picture of the engraving?

I remember most graphics sets worked like this a few years ago. Has something changed?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Question about engravings.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:58:16 pm »

You can put patterns and such in a black or partially transparent black layer around the smoothed floor tile, the first set I saw that did this (not THE first, just my first encounter) was the bisasam 24x24 which had the phstthpok walls and floors I think? Duerer makes good use of this for a neat engraved floor look, as do various other sets.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:56:35 am »

You can put patterns and such in a black or partially transparent black layer around the smoothed floor tile

see this link for a technical description on how it works. You'll find probably one of the most elaborate applications in Phoebus' tileset. Also note the tiles for minecart tracks on some tilesets in the repository.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:35:44 am »

Ironhand wrote a good guide to making tiles look different based off color and transparency here: Tile Magic
It's a bid old, but still good, and while it doesn't directly reference engraved wall, they work the same way.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:46 pm »

Thanks guys, all your responses have helped me figure it out.