Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What body parts cause horrification?  (Read 1039 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What body parts cause horrification?
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:19:59 pm »

So I've had a bit of a trouble with merchants getting freaked out and abandoning their wagons. I started cleaning up the map of all the goblin corpses which I'd been leaving lying around in the courtyard, but I'd like to spend as little time as possible.

What pieces need to be cleaned up? Just torsos, or arms and heads too? Or, anything that was a body part? Do I have to clean up all the kangaroo teeth from my Extreme Hunting so the merchants don't see some teeth on the ground, freak out, and dump a load of worthless (tiger blood barrel)s for me to deal with?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What body parts cause horrification?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:39:54 pm »

AFAIK: all body parts (and parts of them) of sentient beings cause that. Annoying, to say the least. For that reason I use dfhack with its autodump feature...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:02:33 pm »

As said: every part. Every blasted half goblin tooth...

It may pay to plan ahead, i.e. prepare kill zones that are close to the appropriate corpse stockpile for minimum hauling. It's also possible to plan the kill zones so they're not on the caravan path.
You can also use cage traps: no parts left behind by the traps: but you need to dispose of the contents, of course.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:10:00 pm »

As said: every part. Every blasted half goblin tooth...

im pretty sure an update made dwarves less cowardly in that regard, usually it takes a head or a full corpse to make mine freak out in a noticeable manner (i.e. UristMcHorrified cancels job: horrified)

but other stuff from sentients causes minor bad thoughts, and non sentients dont cause anything
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »

Check the tree tops. Sometimes teeth or heads fly up there.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:34:23 pm »

I had the leg of a goblin terrifying everyone who came near it, even the swordorf who cut it off.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:04:32 am »

0.42.X seems to have made dorfs less traumatized by sapient bits, but the caravans remain as skittish as a horse.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:25:44 am »

My dwarven merchants have been fine, but their /wagons/ ... they keep dying of fright.  Took me a few autumns to realize that's why the merchants kept leaving early (any caravan 'merchant' dies, the rest immediately pack & leave).  Now, I usually still lose one or two while they're exiting the map - don't have the refuse/corpse stockpiles isolated well enough, apparently.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:00:27 am »

My dwarven merchants have been fine, but their /wagons/ ... they keep dying of fright.  Took me a few autumns to realize that's why the merchants kept leaving early (any caravan 'merchant' dies, the rest immediately pack & leave).  Now, I usually still lose one or two while they're exiting the map - don't have the refuse/corpse stockpiles isolated well enough, apparently.

The *wagons* die of fright? lol?

So wait, if the caravan provokes a goblin ambush, and the mercenaries do their job and kill some goblins, the caravan freaks out and runs?  Maybe I should be glad I seem to have a hard time generating a world where anything wants to bother sneaking around outside my fortress.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:38:13 am »

IIRC wagons are creatures, and I don't see [NOFEAR] anywhere in the raws, so that might be possible? Though if they got frightened they probably should just run away like other creatures.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:39:48 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:39 am »

Wagons are quirky thingies Toady want to get rid of (i.e. replace with a better implementation: not remove wagons as such), currently scheduled together with multi tile machinery and boats (which are multi tile machinery). Merchants get scared as well as wagons, but merchant guards do not.

Corpse stockpiles should not be within view of either merchants or dorfs (except haulers to those stockpiles), even if the horror impact for dorfs has currently been reduced to next to nothing, you don't know when it's going to be rectified.

There are no goblin ambushes currently, although you can mod them in with the appropriate tag. The closest thing is goblin baby snatchers, but they're likely either eliminated or long gone when the caravan shows up.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »

Wagons are quirky thingies Toady want to get rid of (i.e. replace with a better implementation: not remove wagons as such), currently scheduled together with multi tile machinery and boats (which are multi tile machinery). Merchants get scared as well as wagons, but merchant guards do not.

Corpse stockpiles should not be within view of either merchants or dorfs (except haulers to those stockpiles), even if the horror impact for dorfs has currently been reduced to next to nothing, you don't know when it's going to be rectified.

There are no goblin ambushes currently, although you can mod them in with the appropriate tag. The closest thing is goblin baby snatchers, but they're likely either eliminated or long gone when the caravan shows up.

Goblins and Kobolds don't send ambushing parties anymore?  I know I hadn't seen any, but I figured it was because I kept getting worlds where civilization was just dying out everywhere.

Well, I guess I can be a lot less paranoid now...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »

Kobolds supposedly send ambushes if they've managed to steal enough stuff from you, although I haven't let them steal enough to see if it's correct.
You can get goblins to ambush you if you add the appropriate tag to them (and embark in range, etc., etc., etc.).
Were's "ambush" you "randomly", i.e. unless you keep tab on the lunar calendar. In addition titans and (semi)megabeasts also show up on irregular schedules (although I've seen a total of 2 megabeasts in my fortresses, so they're not exactly swarming me).

Elves are also supposed to be able to do ambushes, but, unlike some other players, I haven't seen sufficient reason provoke a war with them.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »

This thread is full of body shaming and negativity. No body part is horish in nature, and the idea that any particular part leads to horiffication is ridiculous.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 04:17:52 am »

Lesson learned - leaving all of the corpses of fallen enemies lying where they fell, right next to the trade depot, is NOT the recommended approach.

It's probably why most of my dwarfs have a page of "Felt nothing after seeing a goblin die, felt nothing after seeing a goblin die, felt nothing after seeing a troll die" though. Every time they see a corpse they get the thought until it just means nothing anymore. Until I dug a hole, buried them, and put some boards over the corpse mound, of course. Heh, heh. That'll be fun if I ever lose and have to reclaim. "Hey, Urist, what's under these boards here?" "I dunno, why don't you pry them up and check?" "Oh... Armok."
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0