Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: REVOLVER: BLOOD AND NEON: SMOKE BREAK  (Read 40950 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
REVOLVER: BLOOD AND NEON: SMOKE BREAK
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:09:20 pm »

Hey kid, wanna see a dead body?

Look in the Mirror.

What the hell is this?
This is Revolver: Blood and Neon, An urban dungeon crawl through Infinite Kowloon. It's also a test game for a combat system that might be used in the future. It is subject to change as we go.

What's an urban dungeon crawl?
It's a lot like a normal dungeon crawl but set in modern times. Well, 1980's. Have you ever seen movies like "The Raid" or "Dredd"? The Hallway fight in "Old Boy"? Played Hotline Miami? Have you ever dropped acid and then gotten lost in the inner city with nothing but a tek-9 and a white tuxedo to protect yourself? Have you ever stood in the claustrophobic depths of a cold concrete structure and felt the weight of mankind's mad industry pressing down upon you like a steamroller balanced on your temple? Have you ever bled out in a dark alley, unloved and unwanted, beneath a neon kaleidoscope sky? Would you like to?

Should I play this game?
Do you want a game with thoughtful and in-depth lore? With well-written NPCs and a focus on narrative and peaceful interactions with lovable characters? Or maybe you want to play some sort of builder or inventor or non-combat medical type person? Well, then you better look elsewhere bucko because this is a game about murder. Murder, exploration, pillaging and dying a quick and violent death several times before losing your mind and murdering your friends. If that's the sort of shit you're up for, then you might want to give this a whirl.

Ok, I wanna play, what do I do?
The rules are HERE.
Read them. Make a character. First 5 get in, the rest get on the waitlist. Anyone that goes 3 days without posting and doesn't let us know they're gonna do it gets blown up and replaced.

WARNING
I think it pertinent to tell you, before people start whining, that this system is extremely fatal. Generally, unless you are very lucky or very armored, death comes in one or two hits. That's why you have 6 lives. Guns are deadly, ammo is rare, and you are a fragile bag of quivering organs ready to be sprayed against a concrete wall. Don't fuck around.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:49:23 pm by piecewise »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: REVOLVER: BLOOD AND NEON
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:09:57 pm »

MONSTER MANUAL

This updates as new creatures are encountered.

SCAB
Dying makes you crazy, and the Scabs are the final result of that. Once normal men and women, they have lost their minds and been reduced to barely human savages who know little beyond the constant drive to eat, kill, and survive. They adapt to the areas they frequent, their look and equipment reflecting the environment. Still sane denizens of Infinite Kowloon denote the Scabs with colors: White scabs stalk residential areas and dress in some sort of mockery of business attire, like ambulatory mannequins. They are the weakest of the scabs, surviving mostly on scavenged food and fighting in large numbers. Black Scabs come from industrial areas, harsh wastelands lacking in any food or clean water. They rove around in small hunting parties, searching out food and water before returning to their inhospitable homes. They are more cunning and heavily armed than most scabs, and their use of ambush tactics makes them even more dangerous. They wear fire retardant gear, coveralls, hazmat suits and other such clothing to protect themselves.

White Scab: D6 Hp, 10 in Stats, 10 in equipped weapon stat.
Black Scab: D6+4 HP, 12 in stats, 14 on equipped weapon stat.

SYNTH ELEMENTAL
One of the urban elementals, born out of some strange combination of magic and appliances. Appears to be a floating ball of speakers and metal spikes, wreathed in red electricity and pumping out a constant feed of heavy synth music. Docile may be the wrong word for them, but they are generally content to ignore players and enemies unless they are attacked. When attacked they will manifest their bodies using the electricity covering their metallic cores and tear their attackers to bits using electrical claws and concentrated blasts of music. It is not advisable to attack them with metal melee weapons.

20 HP, 15 Armor, Rolls against 14.

SMOKER
They're thinner than they should be, and taller too, something like a 5 foot human who was stretched out to 7 feet, their proportions awkwardly elongated. Instead of flesh, they have a swirling miasma of gray smoke in the rough form of a body, with a tar black human skeleton inside it. The smokeflesh follows the skeleton, though is delayed a half second behind it, so that the skeletal limb will move and then the flesh will catch up a moment later like an after image.  Inside the body, taking up the entire inner space, from the hollow of the pelvic bones straight up through the rib cage and growing up and out of the mouth a bit, are a pair of ashy gray and smoldering lungs. They fill and empty slowly, with a sound like dry leaves being trod underfoot. Smoke billows out with each crackling breath.

2D6 health, 5 smoke armor (applies only to ranged attacks), Stats and equipped weapon and smoke spell skill at 10+d4. One Random SMOKE spell. Random weapon, ranged preference.

WAITLIST
Shadowclaw
Tomasque
Enemy post
NJW
ATHATH
Toaster
 Rautherdir
Azywing
Wobblegong
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:28:35 pm by piecewise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:14:01 pm »

Heya!
This is probably a bad idea.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:21:53 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:14:40 pm »

RESERVE

Spoiler: Ferrus (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:18:17 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:15:50 pm »

(Soooo tempted to make a support character, but not gonna do that.)  ;-)

Spoiler:  Big Ears (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:14:49 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 11:56:47 pm »

You'd think I'd have preempively made a character, having gotten an early look at the rules.  You'd be wrong.  In, regardless.

Done.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:44:03 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:32:00 am »

It seems as I go to the waitlist!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:07:15 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 12:43:17 am »

reserve.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 12:43:34 am »

I'd like a place on the waitlist please.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:13:16 am »

Heya!
This is probably a bad idea.

Putting 20 into a skill when the dice only go to 18 and 17-18 are auto failures? Pretty hardcore. Guess it lets you win by more though.

RESERVE

Spoiler: Ferrus (click to show/hide)
Premium pack of cards eh?
You get
Glimmer x2
Burn X1
Ricochet x1
Block X1

(Soooo tempted to make a support character, but not gonna do that.)  ;-)

Spoiler:  Big Ears (click to show/hide)
Give it a shot, see if I care~

You'd think I'd have preempively made a character, having gotten an early look at the rules.  You'd be wrong.  In, regardless.

Done.

IdolizeX3
Glimmer X1
Sharpen X1
Break X1
Burn X1
Apoptosis x1
Pressure x1
Path x1

Magic packs aren't broken into skills, they're just random assortments of all magic. Trade them with your friends!

Not a single character name or description among you eh? Well, makes my life easy.

ALRIGHT You magic guys, slot your spells.  You all start off in a stairwell, hard concrete stairs with no decoration other than a bit of blood and a collapsed shaft leading upwards. You're all standing on the landing before another set of stairs down, and on the landing is the vending machine you just bought all your crap from. Down the stairs you can see a small room.

Its basically just a 9 by 9 concrete square with a door at one end. You all are the green guy for the moment, but when you split up you'll get your own colors. This room has no cover.  That door at the other end is currently closed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:56 pm »

Take cover by the left side of the door. Open the door. Peek into the room on the other side of the door without leaving cover.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:17:29 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:41 pm »

PTW
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »

Waitlist pls
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »

Ask MJ for his Ricochet and a Glimmer.  Slot 2x Idolize, 1x Glimmer, Sharpen, Break, and Ricochet.  Then check if my gun came with bullets; if not, summon some Ricochet bullets for it.

Then, since I have insufficient inventory, drop these cards on the ground: Edit: Nevermind, apparently I can keep them all.  Give MJ my pressure and Apoptosis cards, and Dev an Idolize card.  Already removed from my sheet.  Edit2: I guess MJ's also getting Path, since he wants it.  Removed from sheet.

Spoiler: This one's my sheet (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26