Poll

Which faction shall we play?

The Federation of Mars
- 9 (37.5%)
The Outer Systems Republic
- 15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora: Divided Humanity  (Read 18164 times)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Divided Humanity
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2017, 06:07:20 am »

I ain't letting this one die, its great! Lots of fun reading.

Lets see, I kind of want to be the governor of the first habitable planet in another system, a nice big terrestrial planet with lots of minerals if possible. But that is gonna be while I guess, so until then I would like to take command of one of the most skilled and highest grade officers available to command the biggest carrier we have, say, the RVS Togo Heihachiro. I will control him until I can control a governor, think of me as a tightly knit family or clan. You can call them Bob Hostergaard or Hostergaard XI or any naming scheme you want to differentiate them. And maybe let my political suggestion come from a group of Hostergaards in the general assembly. Role play it as as you like and see fit, I will only directly control one guy at any time if that is neccesary.

Also, I would suggest sending overtures to the Federation to establish the sovereign domain of each nation. Currently they are simply demanding anything beyond Mars as theirs. We could acknowledge the bodies inside Mars orbit as their sovereign domain, except earth that will be a neutral historical preserve that we jointly work to preserve. Conversely they will acknowledge the area and the bodies between the two asteroid belts as sovereign republic domain. This means that

1. These areas are the domain of the respective powers and they can freely colonize the bodies within them as they see fit (except earth) and it will not count towards the numbers established in the Ceres accord.
2. Each power have the right to patrol, police and defend these areas military as they see fit as it is a part of their nation.
3. Ships of the other power are allowed to transit trough this space to reach their destination (So the Federation is not blocked out of the outher belt and we do not accidentally block each other from accessing all the jump points)
 - Must turn of any active sensors when in these areas and any weapon systems must be turned of.
 - They may not come closer to any colonized body than 10m km (as is already established in the Ceres accord)
 - Any military ship must first make their position known and provide their intended route and destination before entering the sovereign domain of the other power

Any toughs and comments?

------

And I would also suggest making some reforms to the government so heave clearer structure of command (so its easier for Azzuro to know what to do and which suggestion to listen to).

We of course maintain the general assembly (or whatever its called, I suggest calling it the Forum, since it represent, well, the forum). It represent the will of the people and is the ultimate authority of the republic in any mater. They discuss and vote on matters as before when needed.  But I would suggest defining an executive branch that makes the day to day decisions. A group of ministers heads each branch of the government (Minister of Logistics, Minister of Military, Minister of Intelligence, we can define how many and their responsibilities as we see fit) headed by a prime minister, they are all elected by the Forum and be replaced as the Forum sees fit. They each are responsible for carrying out the will of the Forum as they see.

Now for how it actually works. The Forum is the ultimate authority in all maters and can send orders (on consensus) to the Prime minister and the other ministers. These orders can be as detailed or general as you want. The prime minister can order his minister as he sees fit to fulfill these orders and can in turn give as loose or precise commands as he wants. The Ministers in turn can order their departments and so on.  They are all legaly supposed to follow their orders, but of course can interpret them as they want, or even do something else as they are independed individuals. Of course, if, say, a captain decide to ignore a direct order or interpret them badly he will likely have to face the wrath of his superiors or even legal consequences.

So generally, Azzuro will carry out the consensus of the Forum as he interpret it within its wording. The same with the orders of the ministers, and other player characters. Nobody needs to give any orders, if there is no orders from, say, a minister or any lower level characters, Azzuro can just follow the general orders of the higher authority. If there is a conflict between these different layers, he will follow the "finger on the button" rule. That is, if the Fleet Admiral orders the fleet to go somewhere, the fleet goes there, but if a captain of a ship says he is actually gonna go somewhere else, well, then the ship is gonna go somewhere else since he is the one directly controlling the ship. He is supposed to do what the admiral says, and he will likely be punished for not doing it, but he is the one behind the wheel, so that is what gonna happen.

So for extra FUN; consider that you can send messages directly to Azzuro if you want to keep your actions secret (until they are discovered by what happens in game).   ;D

What do you guys think? It will all largely function as it has up until now, but it will give Azzuro a way to decide whose commands to follow and avoid a situation where he does not know whose order to follow.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:15:00 am by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2017, 06:24:17 am »

I wish for a command position on the RVS Horatio Nelson, as well as a harem of nubile love slaves.

Edit: Also, I agree with the above plan. I think that these things too often become confusing, so a clearer structure could be useful.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:29:40 am by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2017, 06:35:28 am »

I disagree with the 'give orders in private by PM' part. The players on the forum are all supposed to work together, and it's only fun for one person if they end up driving the empire solo through private commands with everyone else having to scramble to figure out what is going on. It gets even worse if two or more people are trying to do so and giving a mess of conflicting orders in the process.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2017, 06:48:13 am »

Yeah, I can get behind that. How about we set it up so that we, upon a turn ending, have the Executive branch make a decision, the Forum make a decision and then put those decisions into action.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2017, 07:06:01 am »

Oh, and lets make a public announcement congratulating the Federation on establishing their first commercial mining base, noting how important economic development and prosperity is for humanity in these trying times after we lost earth and end it will a call for the Federation to agree on establishing trade as it will only serve to help humanity as a whole grow and prosper.

Furthermore, I suggest we make "empty" colonies on all the bodies between the two asteroid belts that we consider part of our domain (the moons and other orbiters of the gas giants) so to prevent commercial mining operation belong to the federation from popping up there.

Just for fun I suggest that the Republic holds elections now and the for a republic president. The presidents role is largely ceremonial and is controlled by Azzoro as way for him to have character that can comment on things we do and happens in the game.

Lastly, the hostergaard dynasty think tank "Institute for Human Prosperty"  releases a document entitled "On the Future Economic Development of the Republic" that defines population milestones at 1, 10 and 25 million people where the two former is defined as economic milestones where a colony will start demanding and supplying various trade goods and the later one where a colony can bee seen as a source of colonist. A proposal is further outlined that for all colonies with population we strive to at least arrive at the first milestone if not the second to ensure trade between colonies and thus economic prosperity. Finally, it suggest that establishing a colony on all the moons and other orbits of Jupiter and attempting to reach the second milestone for them all would allow for "fast and high frequency" trading between the the colonies and lead to enhanced prosperity as their economies mature and specialize into different trading goods. It suggest that on long term some small scale terraforming might be able to be done to make lives easier on the small bodies and such installation should be build and shipped when the republic have no other pressing need to their production capacity. Buried deep in the document there is a small section where it is speculated that "fast and high frequency" trading is the motive for the Federation colonizing a cluster of close asteroids.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2017, 07:09:33 am »

I disagree with the 'give orders in private by PM' part. The players on the forum are all supposed to work together, and it's only fun for one person if they end up driving the empire solo through private commands with everyone else having to scramble to figure out what is going on. It gets even worse if two or more people are trying to do so and giving a mess of conflicting orders in the process.

Generally, I agree with you. Commands should be public if at all possible. But there is some interesting role playing possibilities and dynamics in it that could allow for a more fun experience for everyone. I merely mention it so people can consider its ramifications and perhaps mull over how they can use it to make a more fun game for everyone.

Edit: Of course, its ultimately up to Azzuro how he treats private messages
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:13:45 am by hostergaard »

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:35 am »

Let me just start by saying that I won't be doing a "departmental ministers" system, for the simple fact that I don't think there's enough players to fill out a reasonably sized cabinet. Besides, I don't want a situation where we're all waiting for, say the Minister of Logistics to get around to ordering the freighters to ship automines to so-and-so asteroid, holding up the LP. I'd prefer a system where readers can jump in and choose the level of participation they want, rather than it being a job. You're all here for the Cold War in space after all, not Sol Shipping Simulator 2100.

As for the governmental system, there are two parts to it: the Republic Congress and Governor's Council. The Congress is the general will of all the posters, even those without characters. The Governor's council is the planetary governors, who can overrule with regard to production and research orders given by the Congress if they choose (so far neither Karlito or Lorknis have done so). Hanzoku is in a bit of a unique position here, but I'll consider him owning the military shipyards and having final say in shipbuilding matters.

On the naval side of things, and regarding PMs, Sheb is Chief of Staff and also hasn't chosen to overrule any naval orders yet. My original intention was the "finger on the button" rule as you said, where naval characters could choose to disobey orders (either openly in the thread or PMing me), with the lowest-level commanders (captains of individual ships) having the final say. So the thread could order the Navy somewhere, Sheb could choose to disobey, and you could choose to disobey him in turn and remain loyal, all in secret. Should be fun to see if/when it happens. NPCs in such situations like the captain of the Amirani 005 are always loyal.

So yeah, PMs and secret actions are allowed and encouraged. However, I'd like to keep the decision making in the thread where it's visible to all. I don't really see the need for a President/Prime Minister at this stage, as I'm able to see a clear course of action and in case of disputes, will just call a simple yes/no vote for whether to proceed with a certain plan. Also, in-universe both polities were formed from the confederation of smaller states and have done without a single executive leader so far, so I'm not sure how to write a new President in.

As for the rest of your proposals, let me reread the LP first.  :P

United Forenia Forever!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2017, 10:24:48 am »

It lives! Huzzah!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:06 pm »

I would like to be a naval officer myself, though I prefer direct battle with large ships over carriers (not sure how big that difference would be in Aurora).

Otherwise i'm watching/voting on actions if or when needed.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »

This looks interesting, I'll try to read through it and maybe participate, since it seems really good. Azzuro messaged me about it after he saw my own Arms Race type Aurora game but I overestimated my abilities to run a game of that scope. This seems neat though!
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2017, 11:53:52 am »

I have really enjoyed this so far, and I hope it isn't dead

I recommend that we try researching high powered microwaves and mounting them on fighters, a swarm of hpm fighters can quickly disable even the most powerful fleets since no one ever researches electronic hardening. You can't kill what you can't see. Also, I say we try to get out of sol ASAP, so that we can have a secure choke point to defend and avoid a sneak attack. Are all missile types banned, or just ones with warheads, I would like to set up sensor buoys along the main approaches, and maybe use recon drones as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:42:47 pm by 1freeman »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2017, 10:17:02 am »

Posting to watch. (Provided it isn't dead.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]