Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My civ is dead, what do I do?  (Read 960 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My civ is dead, what do I do?
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:16:17 pm »

I started a new fort, and after only receiving the two hard coded migrant waves and not getting the liaison, I checked in legends and found out that the civ was dead. My goal for that game was to become to mountain home, so I'm contemplating restarting. Should I?
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My civ is dead, what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »

No. Play patient, pray to the gods of fertility and grow.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »

Yes, if that's your goal.
I've tried doing that, and after 70+ years I managed to get a metropolis. A few years later I still hadn't gotten a monarch. I then retired, reclaimed the original mountainhome, and canned the world when I'd removed the FB camping there, mapped it out, and found it completely dry (no surface water, no aquifer, and no water in any of the caverns).

Rumor has it you can revive your civ by founding multiple fortresses (presumably keeping those alive, rather than draining them of their populations as migrants to your latest fortress). I don't know how accurate those rumors are.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:37 am »

A nice thing with the game's balance is that less dwarves means your game will run faster. So with less dwarves you can have the years pass faster. This principle was what let Archcrystal last the years it did, so you might be able to last awhile. 

Are you in range of Goblins? If you are, I suggest having your fort population stay underground as much as possible. Then use hallways of weapon traps when attacks do come.

I remember sieges attacking one of my forts only to be slowly cut up by my high density meat chopper.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:15:31 am »

Never knew that before. he suppose I'll see his big I can get my fort. I did settle near the goblins, and I don't know how to make traps. I've never actually gotten a siege before.
-Yahtzee

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:28:34 pm »

Also note that the default settings have the goblins stay away until your fortress pop reaches 80, and that goes for titans as well (a different parameter, but the same default). FBs don't care, nor do necromancers. I don't think weres and vampires do either.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 12:34:26 pm »

Oh. So I won't be getting any goblin sieges any time soon?
-Yahtzee

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:01 pm »

Nope, unless you change the parameter, which can be done in an existing save, by editing <DF>\data\save\<regionX>\raw\objects\entity_default.txt. There you need to find the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3] parameter in the goblin section (there's one section per major civ) and change 3 to 2 (for sieges to start at 50) or 1 (for 20).

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 10:33:27 am »

Accepting petitioners should fill your ranks pretty quickly.  It takes 2 years for them to become full citizens, but a performance troupe often has as many beings as a small migration wave.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 11:08:04 am »

Nope, unless you change the parameter, which can be done in an existing save, by editing <DF>\data\save\<regionX>\raw\objects\entity_default.txt. There you need to find the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3] parameter in the goblin section (there's one section per major civ) and change 3 to 2 (for sieges to start at 50) or 1 (for 20).
I think this might be wrong, because I just got sieged, even though I only had 18 people. Maybe it's something to do with wealth?. It was a pretty small siege, only 6 or 7 goblin crossbowmen, but my military was only 5 strong. I defeated them, but I lost my entire militia to the goblins.
-Yahtzee

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:25 am »

There SHOULDN'T be sieges earlier than the parameter value. The default parameters disable wealth and exports as siege triggering thresholds. However, weird hello/goodbye sieges have occurred since late 0.40.X, and as far as I know nobody has figured out why those sieges occur. There's a theory they may be on their way to somewhere else and sort of stumble upon your fortress.