Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catapult friendly fire?  (Read 1050 times)

Hephaestus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catapult friendly fire?
« on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:48 pm »

So...

I hesitate to question the wiki (which has been spot-on in every other instance I've used it), but I am beginning to suspect catapults CAN hit your own dorfs. I have a siege operator training area set up as described in the siege engine wiki page.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was merrily training up some legendary operators for a prisoner firing range/arena when I get the announcement that Urist McMyBestEngineer has been found dead! I check the combat report (spinning diorite boulder, yup) and his body is lying in the far catapult's stone recycling channel with his right arm, torso, and neck all... flat. And pulpy.

Has anyone else experienced issues with this design? I wasn't actually watching the range, so do you think he got hit with a boulder or one fell on him from above while he was grabbing stone from the channel?

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catapult friendly fire?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »

Yes. Siege engines kill everything that they hit. Getting them to hit anything you want to be hit is another trick. The setup looks unsafe to me. I usually have them fire at a wall with a channel below. Every now and then I open access to the channel and queue a bzillion rock crafts. Yes, then the operators have to haul stone from far away. I don't care, keeps them busy, gathers all of the rock in one place.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »

I was under the impression that only ballistas kill everything in their path, catapults only damage their intended target.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:34:41 pm »

I was under the impression that only ballistas kill everything in their path, catapults only damage their intended target.

Maybe someone did not like Urist McMyBestEngineer.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:04:47 pm »

Wait a second, I think that catapults only damage stuff AT THE END OF THEIR TRAJECTORY, which might not necessarily be their intended target.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Hephaestus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:54:43 pm »

Seems there's some SCIENCE to be done...

Whatever the case, I recommend abandoning any plans for a two-way catapult range, no matter what dwarffortresswiki tells you. I'll see if I can replicate this with any expendable willing volunteers.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »

I think what is happening is the catapulted rock hits the back wall, stops being catapult ammunition and becomes a falling rock. If a dwarf is in the channel under the falling rock. . .

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:13:04 pm »

Yeah, I think that's what happened. Kinda obvious, I should've noticed the fact that he died in the channel.  ;D

Hephaestus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:06 pm »

I think what is happening is the catapulted rock hits the back wall, stops being catapult ammunition and becomes a falling rock. If a dwarf is in the channel under the falling rock. . .

Replicated and confirmed. You got this one exactly right, thanks for pointing it out! Catapult ammunition = harmless. Falling rocks = friendly-fire stone-fall trap.

Omit the channel or find some way to prevent operators from entering while the range is in operation (I used burrows) and no casualties result.