Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to cross a big river?  (Read 551 times)

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to cross a big river?
« on: March 01, 2017, 03:37:59 pm »

Hi,
I have a quite big river on my map (a bit over 20 tiles width) and want to cross that river aboveground. But I can't build a bridge that is longer than 10 tiles. Is there a solution for that problem?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How to cross a big river?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:56:42 pm »

Build some constructed flooring the length you would the bridge, then when that's done extend that flooring to the end.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

You could build it entirely with floor tiles instead of a bridge, but that uses more material and cannot be retracted. 

One thing to do is make a double-bridge, like a draw bridge that lifts at both ends.  As long as the river is 20 tiles or fewer across (you may need to build out a few floor tiles anyway to make the gap small enough,) you can build a bridge at the near side of it such that the end of the bridge hangs over the halfway point of the river.  Then you can build a second bridge on the other side of the river.  So long as you can reach that second bridge via the first, and the second bridge has at least one end on land (on the far side) your architect and mason should be able to construct it. 

Then you end up with two bridges that meet up in the middle of the river. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »

A bridge that retracts, meeting a floor which can't retract from the other side of the water, is also an option. And it's fun to watch the bad guys run off the end of the floor into the water when you retract the bridge in a hurry. Pity they were able to swim...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Looger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:20:16 am »

Thanks! I have now two bridges over the river  and a bit of floor.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:22:57 am by Looger »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:40 am »

There's the age-old solution of dumping lava into the river to make an obsidian dam.

Mandatory use of magma aside, masonry. Rock blocks are light, so just have a floor built over the river. Add walls and fortifications to exterminate the wildlife with marksdwarves, while you're at it, and a roof to prevent vomit.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:09:55 pm »

Thanks! I have now two bridges over the river  and a bit of floor.
So my technique worked for you?  Glad to hear it.  I recommend linking both bridges up to the same lever if you want to retract the bridge, it should raise both of them at the same time.