Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a king at year 7 and 25 dwarfs.  (Read 886 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a king at year 7 and 25 dwarfs.
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:40 pm »

So.

I started a new fortress with the intention of building a great big library. I started it at year 5 because I wanted as much of the history of this world recorded in my library and what better way to do that then to start really early. I also intend to play this fort for a very long time taking advantage of the fact world history advances in dwarf fortress mode now.

That out of the way... Its year 7, I have 25 dwarfs because of the pop limit I sent, and my expedition leader has become king...

Yea, I am not sure what the implications of this are, anyone got some guesses?

I don't want to restart as I found a volcano on a perfect location but I fear that my civilization will no longer expand.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: I have a king at year 7 and 25 dwarfs.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:36:44 pm »

A: your civilizations monarch has died without a proper heir and your expedition leader was randomly chosen
B: you civilization is dead and so your fortress expedition leader became monarch because they were the last leader of your civ left
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »

You are most likely the last surivors. You are just like the monks of the black age. Protecting dwarven knowledge from all who wants to rid the universe of the dwarves.
To the beer!

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:15:38 pm »

I backed up the save and used the backup to export all the legends to use the legend viewer. It seems the mountain home fell and the previous king decided to try and save it by dueling the entire goblin army... and died. The dwarf had 3 kids all of whom are still alive but they are some 5 years old so... There are two other sites that are in existence but who knows for how long.

Looks like this dwarven site may end up the last sight of this civilization and the library will be the repository of all of this civilizations knowledge. Unfortunately I don't actually have a library yet.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:50 pm »

It seems the mountain home fell and the previous king decided to try and save it by dueling the entire goblin army... and died.

Did he take any with him?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:36:29 am »

It seems the mountain home fell and the previous king decided to try and save it by dueling the entire goblin army... and died.

Did he take any with him?

Not one. Not a single goblin kill. The guy was a bit useless.

edit*
To be honest I am not surprised. His best skills was Great Diagnostician, Great Wound dresser, and Great Comedian, with Professional in Pacifier, Persuader, and Intimidator. Yea... he was a doctor not a fighter. Sadly he was not THE Doctor, just A Doctor.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:39:58 am by GenJeFT »

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 12:42:13 am »

Well his idiocy gave the dwarves a way to start a new lineage, and a way to write and protect dwarven history, though I am utterly surprised how fast this civilization went down. Did you build your fort in a super remote location, or are you at the doorsteps of the goblins and elves?
To the beer!

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 12:44:20 am »

Well his idiocy gave the dwarves a way to start a new lineage, and a way to write and protect dwarven history, though I am utterly surprised how fast this civilization went down. Did you build your fort in a super remote location, or are you at the doorsteps of the goblins and elves?

Doorsteps. The gobbos are not far away from me. I will have to up the pop limit so I can take in the refugees and start forging a military.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 12:52:13 am »

I mean, how many dwarves are even left in the world. Did you check the pop txt you get when exporting data from legends mode. I can imagine it is super low.
To the beer!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 04:50:06 am »

Your civ isn't dead. If you get a king your civ isn't dead, as dead ones cannot get monarchs.

If you want to record the history of the world yourself, starting early may be the way to do it, but a longer history would allow you to get history books and scholars from the outside.

If you like the world and your embark location, but not the way the history went, you can regenerate the same world with a different history by exporting the world parameters from Legends Mode and regenerate the world from that, but remove all seeds but the first one.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 09:35:15 pm »

I mean, how many dwarves are even left in the world. Did you check the pop txt you get when exporting data from legends mode. I can imagine it is super low.

299, the gobbos only outnumber us by 100 or so. Granted its 199 dwarfs in my civ and another 100 in another dwarf civ on the other side of the map. The gobbo pop is also split among a couple of different goblin civilizations.