Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Minimalist: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (5/5) [Full]  (Read 7124 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minimalist: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (5/5) [Full]
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:25:46 pm »

Hello there! This is some sort of RTD to test a concept that has been on my mind for a while.

Rules:
[1] Critical Failure : it failed, and went Horribly Wrong.
[2] Failure : it just failed.
[3] Partial Success : it succeeded a bit.
[4] Success : it succeeded just within expectations.
[5] Critical Success : it succeeded in the most positive way.
[6] Overshot : it succeeded, and went Horribly Right.

Reverse Karmic Device:
1- Karma Points:
You start at 0 Karma. You will gain or lose karma depending on your rolls.
[1] -2 Karma
[2] -1 Karma
[3] Unchanged
[4] +1 Karma
[5] +2 Karma
[6] +2 Karma then -2 Karma

The Karma gained is five time the previous karma gained if you roll the same successive rolls.
ex: Rolling three [1]s in a row will lead to -2 -10 -50 = -62 Karma

The "Reverse Karma Device" allows you to manipulate your fate, as in your rolls by consuming Karma. You can only affect your own rolls.

2- Karma uses:
Each use of the Reverse Karmic Device is subject to a dice roll. This roll is unalterable a result from 1 to 3 will lead to the reverse effect, and a result of 4 to 6 will lead to the intended effect.

-Modify a future dice roll.
Cost -5 to 5 Karma Points, and will change the roll accordingly. No refund.
ex:
Using 1 Karma Point can decrease a future roll by 1.
Using -2 Karma Points can increase a future roll by 2.

-Force a dice roll.
Cost 10 Karma Points for a [1], [2] or [3].
Cost -10 Karma Points for a [4], [5] or [6].

-Force a random event.
Cost 5 Karma Points for a "negative" event.
Cost -5 Karma Points for a "positive" event.

Introduction:
The world in this game is magitech-y enough to have some gadget called a Reverse Karmic Device®. It's just a prototype though, one wonder how you got your hands on one.
Anything is allowed character wise, wormholes kidnapping individuals from other dimensions are commonplace in RTDs.

tldr: I will make stuff up as the game progress, if it progress enough to be worthy of seriously making stuff up :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:35:31 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (0/5)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:26:03 pm »

Players:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:34:56 am by Nakéen »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalist: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (0/5)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:51:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This seem alright?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:05:09 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalist: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (0/5)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:56:15 pm »

This seem alright?
It's perfect :)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalist: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (1/5)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:42 pm »

I've been waiting for another minimalist game since I wasn't able to use this character in Tymewalk's game. Thanks for running!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:51:15 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:09:28 pm »

I've been waiting for another minimalist game since I wasn't able to use this character in Tymewalk's game. Thanks for running!

Perfect! We can start now that we have more than one player :)

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:13:51 pm »

GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:34:38 pm »

This seem alright?

The unkept and dusty storage rooms of this magitech research facility never cease to amaze you. An inventor's delight, and a janitor's nightmare. Fortunately you are not one of the latter.

After rummaging inspecting the storage room -32E, you found a peculiar device. Some sort of plate-sized watch with a screen. As soon as you grab it, its size adjusts to your hand and the number "0" starts displaying on the screen.

It also seems you can stick it anywhere on your body, and easily unstick it too.

Before it adjusted to your size, you think you read "Reverse Karmic Device".

Spoiler: McSqueaky's Status (click to show/hide)

You woke up.

The spacecraft you boarded crashed on this inhabited planet. You detected no life form around, the crew was already dead, decimated by your own hands.

Something caught your eye in the impact site.

It seems your craft crashed on some camp of some kind. You spot a charred hand, still holding a curious device. An urge is pushing you to grab it. The device displays "0", and is gently stuck on your right arm. It feels curiously comfortable.

Spoiler: Hugh Mann the Human (click to show/hide)
You sat on the white, featureless chair, in the white, featureless square room.

The door opened, and the man in the white coat walked toward you. What would it be this time?

The man carried a pack with him. He unwrapped it meticulously before you, and handed the device inside to you.

"Your last experiment. Take this device and your test subject status will be revoked."

You took the device, and a 0 appeared on its screen. The woman in the white coat emerged from behind the man, handing you a backpack. They then both stepped aside, leaving only the wide open door in front of you.

Spoiler: Hugh Mann's Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:36:21 pm by Nakéen »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalist: The Reverse Karmic Device RTD (3/5)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »

I wallcrawl up to the top of the wreck to look at the surrounding landscape. Then I go back down and stash the eggs away somewhere safe inside.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 06:45:50 pm »

"I am being fired? Dammit I needed this work"

Walk trough the door, see what is at the other side.

Consume a pill.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:24 pm »

"This doesn't seem like Gnomish Headquarters R&D, seemed I took a transportation pill of course!, So sad I was nearly finished with my breakthrough on the mechanization of explosive chickens"
Gather up all the mechanic pieces within the storage rooms for my own research and invention pursuit, find a good looking table and somewhat-comfortable chair for my prototyping, than play around with this Device trying to understand how it works, functions, etc.
(Edited character sheet to have a weakness/flaw now, how could I forget McSqueaky's small size?)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:09:53 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 07:19:02 pm »

I accidentally swapped some numbers in the rules :x
Basically you use negative karma for positive events, and positive karma for negative events.

I wallcrawl up to the top of the wreck to look at the surrounding landscape. Then I go back down and stash the eggs away somewhere safe inside.

[5] You easily reach the top of the smoking wreck, analyzing the landscape. There are mountains in the horizon, the sea on the other side, and forests in between. You seems to spot a cavern nearby.

Climbing down, you grab the eggs and take them to safety in this cavern. [3 eggs removed from inventory]

"I am being fired? Dammit I needed this work"

Walk trough the door, see what is at the other side.

Consume a pill.

"The payment in the backpack" said the man.

You walked through the door, ending on a corridor. Continuing further, you eventually reached some wide hall bustling with peoples waiting for various reasons. Some test subjects like you, some clients of this company...

Outside was the City. You lived in the City, and you didn't know what was outside the City.

You consumed a pill.

In the backpack were a good supply of pills, enough to last a while. Your payment was also there, a hefty amount of Money. Yes, the City's money was called Money. It took the form of small metallic prisms.
[+Lots of pills]
[+50000 Money]

Spoiler: Hugh Mann's Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheet? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SCREWUP, the whatever (click to show/hide)

One would wonder what you are. Or if you are even a something.

For some odd reason, there is this device stuck on you. Or is it? You don't even know what you are, if you are physical or not.

But the device is there for sure.

It's dark around.

Spoiler: SCREWUP's Status (click to show/hide)

Gather up all the mechanic pieces within the storage rooms for my own research and invention pursuit, than play around with this Device trying to understand how it works, functions, etc.

[1] As you rummage through a pile of scraps and pieces, you grab onto something hard and unmoving. You pull. It doesn't bulge. You pull with all your strength, and a clicking sound is heard as you fall backward, roll twice and slam on a shelf, making a bunch of metallic stuff crash on you.

As you groan in pain, you look at the item you got. It looks... like some huge metallic stick intended to be stuck somewhere like a puzzle piece.

You start hearing a hissing sound, and see a glow emanating from the pile of scrape. Looking closely at the stick, you realize you just pulled the sealing key of some automaton. Surely it was sealed for some reason. Why in a storage room though?

A red light scans the room, and you hear some menacing mechanical noise. Uh-oh.

Spoiler: McSqueaky's Status (click to show/hide)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 07:32:07 pm »

"Whoopsies, seem I triggered a defense command on an automaton, better find a place to find"
find a spot to hide within this area so that I can analyze this automaton with the assurance of safety

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »

Search the woods around the cavern to capture suitable hosts, sentient or otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:45:18 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5