Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: Fields of Magical Murder: A Perplexicon Game. T20 [Or That Arm] [W0-E10]  (Read 51859 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Still lovingly ripped from Piecewise's Perplexicon!

Gooooood evening fans of magic and murder, and welcome to tonight's episode of Fields of Magical Murder!  Tonight's episode is a five-on-five Capture and Hold match!  Which team can control the points and slaughter the competition?  Find out after a brief word from our sponsors!

Welcome to the Fields of Magical Murder, a team deathmatch with modular magic!  It's still heavily ripped inspired by Perplexicon, but also tempered by The Pit of Magic and all the other wonderful people who have hosted Perplexicon games!

I'll try to not let this one die like Pit did; I hope you'll give me another chance.

Rules:
Team objective-based deathmatch with modular magic.  You can cast spells with any number of words up to your pool total.  Word order, what you are doing with your hands, which way you are facing or looking, and what you are thinking may matter.  Pool is refilled at the end of each turn, or by one point a turn if you are in combat.  Health is chunky salsa- no hit points here.

The map has four capture points.  To capture one, a player must start in the area of it, and spend their entire action converting it.  If interrupted in any way, the process will fail.  If it already belongs to the enemy team, converting it will first turn it neutral, and another turn must be spent converting it.  Three players working together may convert it all the way in one turn; two is not enough.  Capture points are indestructible and immutable, regardless of how much magic you throw at them.

Scoring is simple; hold two more than the opposing team at end of turn and earn one point.  Hold three more, two.  Hold all four at the end of the turn and earn three points!  First team to fifteen points is the winner.

Teams are of five players each and assigned randomly from the first ten entrants.  Unlike previous games, death does not kick you out of the game; you spend a turn respawning into the starting zone.  The starting zone is accessible via teleport, and heals anyone starting their turn inside, as well as reversing negative magical transformations.  As a counterbalance, no magic can be cast inside, except during the opening segment. 

During the first five turns, players may prepare inside the starting zone.  This opportunity allows for players to test magical words and create hopefully powerful items.  Team damage is prevented in there, and any negative magical effect is blocked automatically at no penalty.  After this, the game starts in earnest and magic is no longer allowed inside.

The book may change from time to time.  Such changes won't be announced, except in very unusual circumstances.

As this is a team game, if you wish to communicate with your teammates in spoilers, that is fine.  Labeling one containing an action as such is extremely appreciated, or I am liable to miss it.  I trust all of you as good faithful Bay Twelvers to not open spoilers of the opposing team.

Spoiler: A few more rules (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stats:

Spoiler: The Field Tome (click to show/hide)

Waitlist policy:  As teams should not be changing, there really isn't need of a wait list.  That said, if people really want on it, I could assign each team a couple alternates in case someone has to drop out.  It goes without saying that such an alternate should also avoid spoilers of the opposite team.

I've probably missed some obvious points, so if you have questions, fire away!  I will point out that I've made some extensive changes since Pit to the way some familiar words and concepts work in the interest of balance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:18:20 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Magical Murder: A Perplexicon Game [Sign up now!] [0/10]
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:46 am »

Fiiiine.

Name: Derm
Appearence: Listen. We both know it's the damn guy in a robe, let's not kid ourselves here.
Stats

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:52:32 am by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:32 am »

Perhaps I should join out of principle...

Character Sheet:
Name: Enki
Appearence:

Stats
* Strength: -
* Dexterity: +
* Speed: +
* Endurance:
* Potency: +
* Will:
* Channelling:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:49:22 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:46:17 am »

Name: Johnny

Appearance: An unnaturally thin man dressed in overly gaudy robes. Seriously, they've got sequins and everything.

Stats:

Strength:  --
Dexterity:  ++
Speed: 
Endurance:
Potency:  ++
Will:  --
Channelling:  ++

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 01:55:21 am »

You only get three maluses.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:02:38 am »

“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 06:16:56 am »

Reserve me, I'll make a sheet very soon.

Name: Poe Pello
Appearance: Young man (about 20) with dark brown hair, wearing a blue hoodless robe. Often found holding a quill.
Stats:

Strength: --
Dexderity:
Speed: -
Endurance:
Potency: ++
Will: +
Channeling: ++
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:30:56 am by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 08:38:16 am »

((Might as well try it.))

Name: Jefro
Appearance: Fairly average, all things considered. If one were to look at him, they would see nothing remarkable. In fact, the most noticeable thing about him is how generally unremarkable hr looks.
Stats:
Strength: -
Dexterity: +
Speed: +
Endurance:
Potency:
Will:
Channelling: +
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:35 am »

PTW definitely.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:08 am »

Name: Mr. Smith
Appearance: A nondescript man with a hood.
Stats:
Dexterity: 0
Speed: -
Endurance: +
Potency: +
Will: +
Channeling: +
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:32 am »

Appearance: An unnaturally thin man dressed in overly gaudy robes. Seriously, they've got sequins and everything.

Stats:

Dexterity:  ++
Speed: 
Endurance:
Will:  --

Derm is correct; you need to drop at least one plus and minus.

I'll go over the map shortly/when the game starts.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Magical Murder: A Perplexicon Game [Sign up now!] [7/10]
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 10:43:45 am »

Name: Bastien
Appearance: A slender young man with a hoodie with a bandana covering the mouth
Stats:
Dexterity: ++
Speed:
Endurance: +
Potency: ++
Will: --
Channeling:

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Magical Murder: A Perplexicon Game [Sign up now!] [7/10]
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »

Eyup.

Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Fields of Magical Murder: A Perplexicon Game [Sign up now!] [9/10]
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 07:40:33 pm »

One more spot to go!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 07:45:07 pm »

Corrected sheet:

Stats:

Dexterity:  +
Speed: 
Endurance:
Will:  -
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35