Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Forsaken's Interactive Stellaris LP - 1 day until launch! [staging thread]  (Read 10454 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Well, it looks like we're officially going to be a Xenophile, Fanatic Spiritualist fungoid empire. Any suggestions for a name or species traits? We're less than 2 weeks from launch at this point.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• The Fungoid Empire
  • The Enlightened Pod
  • The God Emperor's Island of Peace
  • The Tri-fold Theocracy
  • The Ever-nurturing Stem
  • The Proliferating Overmind
  • The Empire of the All-loving, All-knowledgable Shroom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Tomorrow will be 1 week to launch. Looking forward to getting this started as it seems like we'll have an interesting setup.

I like the names Rubberduck! I'm currently ruminating on traits and civics. I'm thinking some combination of sedentary and a longer life trait like enduring. Will see what feels right

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fond of the Evernurturing Stem for the empire name. You will be cared for. You will be accepted. You will love us.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

It is kind of difficult. We're an empire fanatically dedicated to our spiritual beliefs and also we really like aliens. I'm torn between doing some kind of dark "we love you SOOOO much" comedy and something serious like we just have a legit belief system that requires us to care for everyone and ensure they are in the best of health, sometimes against their own wishes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The Shroomate? The Uttershroom?

We could call ourselves "The Grand Stalk" and be baffled at why the human ambassadors keep giggling.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is kind of difficult. We're an empire fanatically dedicated to our spiritual beliefs and also we really like aliens. I'm torn between doing some kind of dark "we love you SOOOO much" comedy and something serious like we just have a legit belief system that requires us to care for everyone and ensure they are in the best of health, sometimes against their own wishes.

The second option is kind of how I see this. Utopian living conditions and no free movement, no political rights, no tolerance for dissent.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Unfortunately I think utopian living conditions are only an option for egalitarians

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The second option is kind of how I see this. Utopian living conditions and no free movement, no political rights, no tolerance for dissent.

That sounds pretty authoritarian to me.

The way I see it, we have a religion. We take it very seriously. It promotes spiritual enlightenment over earthly concerns. (Fanatic Spiritual)

Either the religion is inclusive of other races, or we simply like to interact with those other races (maybe because we are naturally friendly). (Xenophile)

We are neither particularly authoritarian, neither particularly egalitarian. We don't control peoples lives, but neither are individual rights a given. People can generally do what they want, as long as they don't cause trouble. Places where we crack down might be religion (depending on what our religion is), and probably state security (we are an Imperium). Do we have a god emperor, or do we separate church and state?

We are neither particularly militaristic nor pacifistic. We don't spread our creed through military might (generally), but are ready to defend ourselves, and maybe use war as an extension of politics.

So, of the top of my head,a possible setup is the empire is officially headed by the Great Stem, a psionic shroom of tremendous size that grows on the home world. The feelings of the Great Stem is law. They are generally quite liberal laws, but they have no power in themselves. The Great Stem could overturn them at any time if it wished (which it generally doesn't, but still). The Fungoid don't exactly worship the Great Stem, but are more followers of its philosophy, acknowledging its superior wisdom and enlightenment. Basically a Fungoid form of taoism. The philosophy highlights interpersonal relationships, promoting empathy, trustworthiness and serving the community by respecting your superiors. The hierarchy goes all the way to the Great Stem, so if you trust your superior, and he trusts his, and so on to the top, all will be guided by the Great Stem.

However. A certain amount of evangelising also occurs. Those that do not follow the Great Stem, should be convinced to do so, for their own spiritual enlightenment. It might even be worth forcing them into the fold.

Fungoids aren't genetically predisposed to obeying the Great Stem. Some have their own ideas. Those Fungoid who are able to work towards their own promotion, while mimicking adherence to the path are more likely to rise towards the top, than those that simply serve their fellow Seeds as the path would suggest. The top hierarchy are filled with politically astute fungoid, some which actually believe in the path, and others which just use it for their own ends.

The Great Stem might be a telepathic, building-sized, nigh-immortal being. But it isn't actually that much smarter than the average Fungoid. It has a plan, and it can act over long times to enact those planes, but it can't see the future, and it can't control every corner of the empire. It knows this, and thus has a pretty hands off approach. It passes its thoughts on to the Fungoid, which in turn informs their laws, philosophy and culture, but in the day to day, the empire is headed by the grand administrator, a life-time appointment. He has direct access to the Great Stem, and often work to pass its thoughts into law, as well as handle the daily working of the state.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Very nice, I'm going to use most of that Rubberduck. We need a name for the race and homeworld as well if you have suggestions. I'll do a brief write up of some of the biology and habits of the species.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No reason the Allshroom can't be mobile. Even if it can't move itself, we could transport it to somewhere safe. Maybe there'd even be a special ship for this purpose.

But really - there's no way the Allshroom would allow such a thing to happen anyway, so it's a moot question. Your blasphemy saddens the Allshroom greatly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The allshroom is an entity of the mind, not a physical thing. If its fleshy stalk is destroyed they will just grow a new one to house it. The allshroom lives within us all.

I actually have some cool stuff in mind for the race regarding death and old age too, and their biology.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Alright, the patch is out and I am familiarizing myself with the changes. I wanted to get a few games in before starting the LP so I understand what is different. I think I'll be ready to start tomorrow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The eagle-eyed among you have probably noticed that I haven't started the LP. Well the 1.5 patch had some problems... some big problems. Some problems that would have rendered the game un-fun.

So I waited. I waited for the 1.5 hotfix, which promised to fix some things. It did. It also broke some things.

So I waited for the 1.6 'quality of life' patch, which fixed some things but broke some more things. So many things.

Now, 1.6.1 is out. The fix to the fix. Things look okay. I'm going to run through a few games before I get started though to make sure.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I spoke too soon it seems. There is currently a bug where AI civs will waste all of their energy repeatedly terraforming their own planets back and forth for no reason. Needless to say this is somewhat game breaking. What are they doing over there?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5