Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Spamoutpost! - Emi Araya of the Ark of The Reformed Empire of the Rising Sun  (Read 9702 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

C We gave them a chance, now they face the consequences

B We're not going to be the first too land. Others may arrive hundreds of years before us. If we have no defenses, they may decide to steal our stuff.

C We're not going to be the first too land. Others may arrive hundreds of years before us. If we have no defenses, they may decide to steal our stuff.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

D Hit them where it hurts

A We do not need weapons to keep the population in check.  If anything that would make it worse.

C
Yeah external weapons though?  Those we need.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...so much for amity in the face of human extinction.
1. A is a bad idea; why should we roll over and accept this sort of thing? B was stated earlier in the text not to work; doing it more seems foolish. C just invites the People's Republic to stop supplying us altogether. I say D; an eye for an eye.
2. Eh, why not. It's free (ish).
3. Really not a fan of pushing production back even more; all those weapons will take time to build. I say we trust in the goodness of man... wait, no, that'd be stupid. Minimal defences it is.

D, B, B
Long Live United Forenia!

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...so much for amity in the face of human extinction.
1. A is a bad idea; why should we roll over and accept this sort of thing? B was stated earlier in the text not to work; doing it more seems foolish. C just invites the People's Republic to stop supplying us altogether. I say D; an eye for an eye.
2. Eh, why not. It's free (ish).
3. Really not a fan of pushing production back even more; all those weapons will take time to build. I say we trust in the goodness of man... wait, no, that'd be stupid. Minimal defences it is.

D, B, B
+1

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You tell the semicon factories to deliberate introduce substandard chips into the export batch.

Not long later, the state television of the People's Republic is running a series of reports on the poor standard of ICs from the Empire. The program called for the People's Republic to develop its semicon industry to chase that of the empire; but the state microblog and state forums are vile with all kinds of accusations. Some people are questioning why they are suddenly importing so much microchips, especially from Niitaka which is perpetually a part of the People's Republic. Some heavy industry workers naively talked about increased production without extra pay. Then someone suggested that they should strike against unpaid overtime...

You soon heard that strikers has disrupted production, to the point that it grinds down to a halt. Given the graveness of the situation, you have full confidence that the People's Republic will end the strike quickly and forcefully by sending army columns into the factories, but production will not start until sometime later - that will translate to another wasted quarter for us. Worse still, It looks like that the global public will soon know that the true purpose of the arks.

At the same time, You authorized the police force on the ark to carry arms. Guns on ships of the navy and Tanks are appropriated for the Ark.

Autumn 2048, Estimated Completion: Autumn 2050

You start interviewing applicants for cyrosleeping passengers. Given that they are expected to live on the destination, competition is stiff - and your staff complains that they have no time to actually read the resume of all the applicants. They have a point, so you instruct them to...

A Stick to first come first served basis, and interview applicants until all the berths are filled.
B The Businessmen and industrialists of the Empire has contributed much towards the ark, and lets reward them with a space on it. We should tell the leading firms to give us a list of persons to be preserved on the ark, and to fill the ark from the list.
C We will resort to sortition. Applicants are divided by race and gender, before we randomly select people from them to recreate the composition of our society.
D Anyone not writing their name using imperial pronunciation is out. That would mean only people from the original Empire and some the most loyal citizens of the other parts are eligible. This would give us a more homogeneous, "purer" society at the destination, at the expense of genetic variety.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Lorknis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I guess there was no way of getting out of that without suffering delays of some sort. Hopefully there will be no further problems.

Anyway. Hmm. None of these options appeal. It'd be nice to be able to filter for quality of applicant, but none of those options really do so.
I guess the best option is just to go random? It's the most 'fair', and will ensure that our new colony is at least no worse than our current society.

C
Long Live United Forenia!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Torn between B and C..

Let's go with B
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

B is how you get an Ark full of middle managers.
C
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

C, though make sure the emperor has a spot too, wouldn't want to let Amaterasu's lineage die on earth now do we. Though, considering, he probably already has a spot.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BBB
CCCCC

You tell the interviewers and recruiters shortlist applicants through sortition, before interviewing for their psychological suitability. At least you prevented a society of middle managers or a society without anyone willing to become a janitor.

Naturally, the nationalists and the businessmen are not that pleased...

Winter 2048, Estimated Completion: Autumn 2050

You start to feel uneasy about the late estimated completion date at this point of time. Do you wish to carry less of an item to let you launch the ark a quarter earlier?

A Engines. You estimate that by using smaller but more efficient engines, you can reach TRAPPIST-1 in 1200 years.
B Fuel. There will be very little margin of error, and deployment will need to be swift at the destination. Then again you have someone going ahead of you.
C Colonists. You finish interviews early and bring only 30000 colonists in suspended animation.
D Industrial Equipment and raw material. You will only bring a very basic set of tools that is needed to start an industry, and you need to mine immediately. Hope those before you will not fail you.
E Autumn 2050 is not that late. Don't get distracted, you remind yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7