Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 3 - Passing the Torch  (Read 16146 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Furry Fortress 3 - Passing the Torch
« on: March 03, 2017, 01:07:25 pm »

They say that the world was once filled with strange creatures who had no fur, nor feather or scales, but long beards and exceptional livers.  According to our oldest legends, Armok grew displeased with their kind and turned his back on them.  Chaos Itself sought to make a new world filled with new creatures.  With all of civilization gone, there was nothing in the world but little animals scurrying hither and fro.  Armok noticed them and saw potential.  Armok shouted, "You there!  What are you doing?  Stand up straight, speak up!  There you are, that's better.  Now pick up your tools and get to work!  That's the way, that's good.  Show me some diligence!  Show me ambition!  Show me your worth, and this world will be yours..." 

That was the beginning of our kind.  Through diligence and ambition we have shown our worth, and this world is ours.  This world of...

FURRY FORTRESS III

Welcome aboard for the newest and thirdest version of Furry Fortress.  Furry Fortress is a collection of civilizations that combine a popular animal with a particular medieval or ancient culture, as well as several improvements of my own invention to make the game a bit more fantastical, sensible or easier to manage. 

I don't always get a lot of time to test all the little changes going on, so I absolutely appreciate any observations you have about Furry Fortress. 

Download:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5_Jm8L6GFwcVTM4OWtDQmV1ejg?usp=sharing

Animal Races:

Current Races:
Vulps: Foxes with Japanese themed equipment.  They can produce Sakuragane, a stronger form of steel. 
Lagomers: Rabbits with English themed equipment.  They can produce Excalibar, steel strengthened with rutile or ilmenite. 
Komodos: Goannas with Egyptian themed equipment.  They can produce Bone Bronze, from copper and bone. 
Greenjas: Frogs with Ninja themed equipment.  They can produce Ninjawood, wood strengthened with ash and horn/hoof at the wood burners. 
Saldogs: Dogfish with Pirate themed equipment.  They can produce Dabloonium, gold enhanced with antimony. 

Planned Races:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New to FuFo3, each race will be able to produce a special cultural metal.  Right now, Vulps can produce sakuragane, a stronger version of steel, Lagomers can produce excalibar, based on titanium, and Komodos can produce Bone Bronze from copper and bone.  These will probably be the hardest part of a new race to dream up, so suggestions are welcome.    Nope.  Too hard. 

Metal Changes:

In general, "useless" alloys like rose gold and billon are removed.  Extra work should add value, otherwise it is just clogging up the menus. 

You can no longer use unalloyed copper or silver to make weapons.  Lead and nickel can be used to make ammo. 

New metals and alloys:

Planned Metals:

Plants & Woods:

I wanted to add a few more "economic" plants and woods to make that aspect more interesting. 

Note that playable races no longer have access to underground crops or wood, so it will be more of an adventure to go explore the underground. 

New Plants:

Planned Plants:

New Stone:
There are a few new stones, silcrete, flint, jadestone, zirconia, which can be used for sharp stone tools.  Right now, they are just stone, I am having a hard time finding material data for them.  For flint and silcrete, this doesn't really matter, they won't be all good anyways, but supposedly jadeite and zirconia have pretty good material properties.  So if anyone can help me find out more about those materials, I would appreciate it. 

In the future, I might also make a more valuable kind of stone, kinda like calamander wood.  I also might make something like kaolinite that can be found deeper, maybe in small clusters like the elemental metals.  I also want to make "deep iron", an ore that yields iron that can be found deep underground, since I find it annoying that the best metal in the game can only be found in one particular ecosystem and at the surface, but on the other hand, the new metals scratch the same itch, and I don't know how to make an ore only show up at a particular depth. 

Clothing Overhaul:

I've never been very pleased with how DF handles clothing outfits.  It's too micro-managey, and doesn't work well for cultures like Ancient Egypt where people ran around half naked.  So instead, I've developed a new system where you produce a single piece of clothing that covers the entire body, that comes in different quality levels.  Higher quality levels cost more material to make, so they should be more expensive.  I have left in Anklets and Bracers from the last version of FuFo, since they can be made from bones, shells or metals, they strike me as more interesting.  Armor is handled similarly, you just produce a suit of chain armor or plate armor.  In the future, I want to also include a form of lamellar armor that can be made from any material (even historically lamellar was produced from metal, leather, paper, bone, shell, stone, seed husks, ivory, horn, all sorts of things), but I need to think about how that will work first. 

At some point, I may include cultural variations of these garments.  This is simple for cultures like Japan, but difficult for cultures like Ancient Egypt, so I don't know yet how I will handle it. 

As of this post, I have not extensively tested this system, so I'm sure it will change a bit as I feel it out. 

New Creatures:

For the future, I want to make more fantasy critters.  A fortress full of turkeys and sheep kinda kills the fantasy mood for me, and it's fun to set traps and tame wild animals, but there's not a lot of reason to do it, a team of battle tigers is probably going to get slaughtered by metal weapons.  So the approach is 2-pronged, set up more interesting domesticated creatures and create more interesting and useful wild animals to catch. 

Right now, the only new animal is the Wyvern.  They can be found in all ecosystems, until I start to fill the world with more fantastical creatures and decide what goes where. 

New creatures will be along the lines of mythical beasts, like the Wyvern, Longma, Amphisbaena, etc, and prehistoric animals, like Woolly Mammoth, Kelenken, Sebecus, etc.  Might also do regional dragonoids, like a Jungle Drake or Mountain Wyrm. 

For domesticated animals, I want to thin the list a bit and throw in some more exotic pets and fantastical animals, like chocobos instead of horses or civets and falcons instead of cats.  Civs from the right biome may have access to the vast array of critters that are domesticated in real life, like elephants, gators and ostriches. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:33:45 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 3
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:13:33 pm »

FuFopedia! 

Vulps, Samurai Foxes
Vulpen Weapons:

Lagomers, English Rabbits:
Lagome Weapons:

Komodos, Egyptian Goannas:
Komodowan (Egyptian) Weapons:

Saldogs, Dogfish Pirates
Saldoggy Weapons:

Greenja, Frog Ninjas
Greenja Weapons:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:09:56 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »

Scottish badgers...

Sounds nice.

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
  • One man's past is another man's weapon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »

Consider me interested, being furry myself I look forward to what this offers!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 11:04:12 pm »

So I had a chance to play around with the clothing revisions, and I notice it doesn't seem to want to allow the civ to make all 3 types of clothing at once, the churlish rags, common garb, affluent raiment.  I only seem to get 2 of the 3 available.  I actually remember it doing this with certain armor types before, I wonder if maybe there's a limit to how many armor types you can actually have at once...

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. 

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:20:19 am »

Randomly stumbles upon a strange mod, see's Japanese based nation, sees need for ninja animal.

You should have cats as the ninja animal, as cat Yokai are probably the closest you would get to a ninja other then a Kitsune which you already have. That, or ravens/crows because Tengu.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:26:05 pm »

Actually, I've already started working on it.  The ninja nation will be frogs.  The pirate nation and ninja will show up sometime soon. 

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 07:36:45 pm »

....Frogs....? Thats uhm, not very...ninja like in my opinion but, its your mod...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 11:12:17 pm »

It worked for pokemon

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 3 - It ain't easy being Ninja...
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:29:01 am »

Okay, new update is ready for download, same Furry place, same Fortress channel. 

I'm actually having a real rough time finding the time to test everything, so the new stuff is probably still rough around the edges. 

The new races are Greenjas, ninja frogs, and Saldogs, pirate dogfish.  Saldogs can produce Dabloonium, a more valuable alloy of gold and antimony.  Greenjas can produce ninjawood, hardened wood made from logs, ash and horn/hoof at a wood burner.  I think ninjawood is maybe comparable to bronze, though much lighter, it's a "better numbers" version of the white oak material. 

I fixed the clothing system, so now they will always be able to produce all 3 kinds of clothing. 

Right now, there are 2 reactions for ninjawood, the first one will make it into a log, the second will make it into a bar.  I'm not sure which is most comfortable, haven't had time to test a stable Greenja fortress, so any feedback on that will be helpful. 

Saldogs currently make fortresses in the ocean.  In the FuFo2 thread, someone mentioned putting them in some other biome like rivers or saltwater marshes, I want to try that at some point, but again, short of testing time. 

Greenjas speak the same language as Vulps.  I'd like them to have a different language, but I'm not sure what it would be based on yet.  I might scramble a bunch of words about japanese things that aren't actually in japanese, like chopsticks and godzilla and wii, but I don't know if I could come up with enough words for DFLang to work.  Another thought is that the Vulpen language right now is composed of mostly "anime" words.  I might pass the anime language on to the Greenjas, and give the Vulps a language based on "real" japanese or samurai names or placenames. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:31:04 am by AceSV »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:17 am »

I've thought up a few more cultures I think I could cobble together, Buddhist and Pan-African.  Pan-African would probably be the Serval or Caracal, (or they might swap that with the Zulu gazelle culture).  Not sure about a Buddhist animal, possibly an animal associated with Buddhist folklore (like the sea turtle), or a gentle type of animal, or an animal associated with a Buddhist country, possibly Tibet.  I know of several Tibetan animals, but not a lot of small ones, though one of my favorites is the Manul cat.  However, I wouldn't want 2 kinds of cat, so if the Buddhist culture gets the Manul, I'd need to pick something else for Pan-Africa.  However, Buddhist culture would probably ban the trading of animal parts (like the Lagomers do) which wouldn't make much sense for a predator. 

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:07:18 am »

Why are we not funding this mod?! Im taking viking lobsters muahahhaha!

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 02:49:25 am »

As a concerned Kiwi please don't make Maori's Kiwi, we are not one of the same.  ;D

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:02 pm »

Maori civ will almost definitely be Keas at this point. 

I've been working on other projects lately, but I've got maybe half of Pan-Africa and North Africa ready.  Inventing and balancing racial alloys is turning into a major pain, so I'm going to stop doing those.  I'll put Maori and Vikings higher up on the to-do list, if that's what people want. 

I got a new idea to do a "Streetz" civ, that uses weapons like crowbars and nailbats and knuckledusters.  The obvious animal for Streetz would be Raccoons, but I like them as Germany, so I'll use something like Rats or Crows instead. 

Something I've been debating is a "Demon" civ with Molochs (aka Thorny Devil) as their animal.  I wasn't sure if I could come up with enough demon-themed weapons, but I've got Pitchfork, Deathscythe, Ogre Club, some kind of demon whip, some kind of demon sword and some kind of ranged weapon, I think I can pull it off. 

If anyone wants to help move things along, one of the time-consuming things is coming up with word banks for the DFLang languages.  Basically, I need a list of words (at least 100) and DFLang will scramble them into a Dwarf Fortress style language.  I have a bunch from the last version, but I need more.

Foxes Japanese (Got it)
Rabbits Old English (Got it)
Goannas Ancient Egyptian (Got it)
Frogs Ninja ~Need it~
Dogfish Nautical (Got it)

Servals Swahili (Got it)
Gazelles Arabic ~Need it~
Meerkats Zulu ~Need it~

Eagles Mongolian ~Need it~
Bettas Thai (Got it)(Kinda, it has a lot of extra symbols that DF can't read)
Binturong Indonesian ~Need it~
Monkeys Chinese (Got it)
Cobras India ~Need it~

Badgers Scots or Gaelic ~Need it~
Lobster Old Norse (Got it)
Raccoons German ~Need it~
Swans Polish ~Need it~ (Although I do have Russian I could use instead)
Ants Latin ~Need it~ (I do have a list of scientific ant names I could use instead)
Bats Romanian (Vampire Hunter) ~Need it~

Wallabies Australian ~Need it~
Keas Maori ~Need it~
Tamanduas Aztec ~Need it~

Armadillo (Digger) ??? ~Need it~ (I do have the old steam punk wordbank from FuFo2)
Streetz Slang ~Need it~
Squirrels (Elven) ??? ~Need it~
Salamanders (Wizard) ??? ~Need it~
Moloch (Demon) ??? ~Need it~  (I have obscure things I could use) 

So if people can provide me with a list of words from each language, that will move things along. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:53:50 pm by AceSV »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 06:08:08 pm »

Hmm... Is it okay if I use your idea for regional dragonoids? Those sound pretty cool...
Pages: [1] 2 3