Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 3 - Passing the Torch  (Read 16151 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 3 - It ain't easy being Ninja...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 11:07:41 am »

Yeah, go for it.  I'm not even sure if that's how I want to handle things. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 12:22:45 pm »

Thanks!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 12:35:03 am »

should I remove anything from the vanilla folder to enjoy this better? Or is it fine as is to dump all the files in?
Edit: also, why are so many civs fortress dwellers? and did I dupe the raws I a asking as when I try to go into adventure mode, random animals have civs, but tryinto play one of the regular ones, as an outsider even, causes crashing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:07:45 am by Zavvnao »

zakthefallen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 07:49:12 pm »

I have the same problem as Zavnao. I copy+paste the mod files and overwrite the defaults in the raw folder, like I do with any mod...but although the world will generate, all the civilizations are random creatures and not the humanoid races. Things like monarch butterflies and stranglers, but no humans, elves, dwarves, or any of the races added by this mod.

Does the installation guide from Furry Fortress 2 no longer apply? I have no idea why civilizations would bug out this badly in world gen.

sethtnt

• Bay Watcher
  • Who knows
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 04:07:37 pm »

I can't help but notice that after a recent update that the mod has stopped working as intended, the work seems to be inhabited by bumblebees; dragonflies, dragonfly men, giant dragonflies, fireflies, firefly men, and a few other random creatures that I can't remember. It seems to work on and off, I've been trying to fix this myself but I can only occasionally get it to work. Also I keep checking the error logs and it keeps telling me things about metals being missing, which I checked and they are there. Lastly the krakens and kappa keep saying that they are missing their tissues and tissue thickness, which is a problem. <Not sure if that's furry fortress' fault or DFs, but it's an issue that I don't seem to be able to resolve. Do you happen to have a way to fix this? At least a way to fix all the bumblebee's that seem to rule the world. (Also a side note, you misspelled the plural of samurai, katana, along with probably a few other Japanese words, as far as I know they don't have plurals on most of their words.)
*Dwarf Magic*
*Elf Magic*
*[insert relevant word here] Magic*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 12:30:58 am »

Theres a duplicate creature ID or entry somewhere sounds like. Have to go through and find it by hand
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »

Sorry everyone about the bad website warning.  Apparently this was attached to one of the images in the FuFopedia post.  I've removed the link to the image. 

I've reuploaded the raws from my computer to make FurryFortress3_v02.2.zip.  Try downloading that again if you're getting bugs.  All of this should work with DF43.05. 

Supposedly, there will now be a reaction to distill water at the Still, so your carnivores can avoid dying of thirst.  There's some of a reaction to distill blood to make blood wine and milk into blaand, but for now, these doesn't work and I don't know why. 

Right, so in FuFo3, the files are designed to be dropped into an empty folder, all vanilla stuff removed.  For those of you that want to put together a custom project, all of the files that say FFOVERRIDE are replacing one of the vanilla files.  So for example, inorganic_metal_FFOVERRIDE is there to replace the vanilla inorganic_metal.  If your raws have both inorganic_metal_FFOVERRIDE and inorganic_metal, or some combination like that, then you've got duplicates and DF will not work. 

I don't remember what the FuFo2 installation instructions were, but the FFOVERRIDE thing is new to FuFo3. 

As for adding plurals to Japanese words, my philosophy is that when we speak English, English has plurals, so when we say a word from another language, we should use English plurals while we're speaking English.  After all, that's not how Ancient Egyptian plurals work either, but there are no weeaboos to tell me that I'm saying "khopeshes" wrong. 

I didn't want to bump the topic to say this, but as you may have noticed, I am not working on Furry Fortress anymore.  I'm trying to get back into making real games, and the last thing I want to do with my time off is quasi-programming in Dwarf Fortress.  When the next version of DF comes out, I will make a slimmed down version of FuFo with at least Vulps, Komodos and Lagomers, but FuFo3 is dead. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

sethtnt

• Bay Watcher
  • Who knows
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »

(I was unaware of Egyptian plurals, I guess you learn something new everyday) If FF3 is dead would it be alright for me to continue it for this version of DF? I have managed to get it working (Though differently due to the fact that I manually merged the original raws and the FF raws) and I enjoyed it, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wants to see what this can be made into. Also my sincerest apologies if I seemed to be trying to be rude when I mentioned the Japanese plurals, I thought that you were simply unaware of this fact and thought that I may be able to help. (All credit will be given and listed in the raws of course)
*Dwarf Magic*
*Elf Magic*

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:54 am »

Knock yourself out, I'm going to take FuFo in a new direction for the next version, so I don't mind if someone else wants to take it farther in this form. 

I have a big list of weapons that I compiled in advance, so I'll leave that here for you to start with something. 

I was about halfway done with the next batch of critter-folk, North African/MiddleEast, Pan-African and Zulu, so here are their weapons in DF format:

Zulu weapons weren't done, so here's their short list:

Some of the names of African weapons are made up, because there's no specific term for them. 
Fork Lance is this: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dance Axe is this:
(it was used for ceremonies, not a combat weapon)

Spitting Axe is this:
(in some decorative versions, it looks like a face is spitting out the axe blade)

Bird Beak Knife is this:

Scorpion Tail is this:
(a type of hungamunga/throwing knife)

I also wanted to have one of these, but it has no name, possibly a unique item:
(supposedly another throwing weapon)

Impi Axe is usually called Zulu Axe.  There are choppy versions and stabby versions:

I have to go to work, but I'll share the rest of my weapons list here later. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:27:06 pm by AceSV »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 12:19:45 pm »

If you're still trying to come up with a digging steampunk animal, may I suggest moles?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 11:07:24 pm »

Germany:  Raccoons

Viking: Norway Lobster

Scotland:  Badger

Poland:  Swan

Greco-Roman:  Army Ant

China:  ???, Red Panda, Water Dragon Lizard, Muntjac, Pangolin, I dunno

India:  Cobra

Mongolia:  Eagle

Buddhist:  Monkey

Australia:  Wallaby

Streetz:  Crow

Digger/Dwarven:  Armadillos or Moles or whatever

Tree-Dwelling/Elven:  Squirrel

Savage/Orcish:  Boar

Demonic:  Moloch/Thorny Devil (2 names, same animal)

Wizard:  Salamander

Vampire Hunter:  Fruit Bats

There were also thoughts of Siamese, Polynesian, Mesoamerican and Maori civs, but I'm out of steam.  Or a fantasy Rogue civ, like the Wizard civ, but all I could think of was daggers and more daggers and seagulls. 

sethtnt

• Bay Watcher
  • Who knows
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 01:05:38 pm »

Thank you for all of your ideas, I'll probably start off doing the ones that I already know something about and releasing new versions as I finish the civs. Odds are though that the wizards will be the last one I work on, as it will take a good amount of time to figure out how to work enchantments in the current version. Also whenever the new version of DF comes out feel free to take anything that I make and put it in there. (I'm probably just going to implement your ideas before I try adding anything of my own unless I get stuck anyways so you'd obviously have the right to use it, assuming I make a new civ that is unlike any of these you can use those as well) I appreciate all the information on the civs and I'll have the first new civs out ASAP.
*Dwarf Magic*
*Elf Magic*

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 03:55:28 pm »

The wizard charges can theoretically be pretty simple, just a lot of smoke and mirrors.  (ha!)  If you'd done any reaction stuff, the idea is just to take some reagents and output a stack of ammo made out of a "magical" material that has the proper qualities.  One of the things about DF, is that you can make a metal that is poisonous or constantly on fire, but if you make a sword out of fire, your swordsdwarf will get burned by it first.  But ammo stays in a quiver, so you can supposedly have flaming or poisonous arrows.  (That was actually the plan for the first draft of pyrochalcum, it was supposed to be on fire)  So you basically have a reaction that asks for something like coal and bones, and the output is a stack of arrows (called charges) made of fire goop.  The fire goop material has an ignition point well below normal temperature, thus it's on fire all the time.  Poison charges would be different, I'm not real familiar with syndromes, I know there's no contact syndrome you can add to metals and whatnot, but I think you could make something that sublimates into noxious vapors. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 09:29:27 pm »

Hey, what's up.  I mentioned dividing the Chinese weapons up into kungfu stuff vs historical military stuff.  Identifying "real" Chinese weapons has been an interest of mine for a while, I recently got consumed by curiosity and looked into it more, so I thought I'd share the findings here, in case you find it useful. 

Real Military Stuff (Ming era):
Dao - A saber  http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/06/swords-and-sabres-of-ming-dynasty.html
Changdao - A huge saber-polearm, similar to a zweihander sword, with a longer handle
~Ji/Crescent Halberd - A real military weapon, but largely out of use by DF era (1400)
Chang Qiang (Long Spear) - Basically a pike
Brush Spear/Wolf's Brush - Originally a bamboo shaft with the branches still attached, in later history, a similar looking thing with branches made of metal.
 Used to snare enemies and catch or deflect ranged weapons while fighting in formation with the Long Spears.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's any meaningful way to approximate this in DF. 
 http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2014/08/unique-weapon-of-ming-dynasty-lang-xian.html
Trident/Tiger Fork/Tang Pa - A trident or ranseur type weapon.  Used to defend the long spears in pike formation. 
Wolf Tooth Mace - Sort of a cross between a morning star and a polearm.  Note that modern versions can be somewhat exaggerated. 
Rod Mace/Bar Mace/Iron Whip - Basically blunt but thick swords.  Used for blows and thrusts, blasting through parries or armor with its weight. 

A few could go either way:
Jian (double sided sword) were used by the military during the bronze age, but were completely replaced by sabers in military campaigns.  Nonetheless, they were still made and carried by civilians, so they wouldn't be completely out of place in DF. 
Similarly, Po Dao/Pu Dao/Bo Dao existed at the time, but it wasn't a military grade weapon. 
Cudgel/Quarterstaff type weapons may have been used in the military, there's a diagram for one in a Ming military manual, but they are obviously not primary weapons. 
There are various odd types of polearms like Snake Spear, Hook Spear and Er Lang Spear, which are definitely military weapons, but probably rare and obscure. 
Dagger-Axe was an iconic bronze-age Chinese polearm, replaced by the crescent halberd in iron-age. 

Kung Fu weapons could include:
Hook Swords
Butterfly Knives
Duck Axes
Guan Dao
Meteor Hammer
Three Segment Staff
Da Dao
Bang (short staff/cudgel)
Garlic Mace
Cicada Wing Blade

Which is not to say any of the "Kung Fu Weapons" are fake, they just weren't standard issue on the battlefield. 

Also quick disclaimer, Furry Fortress doesn't necessarily follow the same 1399 technology cut off that DF Vanilla has, since Katanas and Zweihanders are from 1500s. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 04:33:08 pm »

If you're still trying to come up with a digging steampunk animal, may I suggest moles?

Of if not moles, what about ...

Mole Crickets!
Pages: 1 [2] 3