Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED MYSTERY] Loading bar. Not randomized?  (Read 1196 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
[SOLVED MYSTERY] Loading bar. Not randomized?
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »

When you load a game in DF or when you are about to generate a new world, for a brief moment a loading bar is being typed out on the screen which looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I first thought that it'd be randomized, but it appears to be always the same. It looked like this in 43.03., it looks like this in 45.05, no matter which game you're loading, you always can notice the sequence of yellow JJJTTT.

Does anyone know why this isn't randomized? It seems like a perfect place to put some random tiles or signs in. Does this particular sequence mean anything? Is it an encrypted secret message?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:20:28 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: [MYSTERY] Loading bar. Not randomized?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:43:27 pm »

Uh, I could be wrong and have done zero research on this, but I was under the impression that was a test print for creature symbols as they were loaded.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 03:51:12 pm »

test print for creature symbols as they were loaded.

Each world contains a different (although large) subset of creatures. So why would it try to type out creatures which might not even exist in the world. The string also contains symbols which clearly are not creatures. Like Open space, bag, ballista arrow head, some kind of gatherable bushes (the % sign).
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:56:20 pm »

Each world contains a different (although large) subset of creatures. So why would it try to type out creatures which might not even exist in the world. The string also contains symbols which clearly are not creatures. Like Open space, bag, ballista arrow head, some kind of gatherable bushes (the % sign).

No idea, open spaces would potentially be omitted creates. Also, typing out things that don't exist is still a debug tool for making sure that you at least checked to make sure they exist. 

I'm reasonably certain it's not random, thus it must be related to something loaded in sequence during that particular phase. You have my guess, but I truly don't know.

I'll be curious to see if someone actually has answer for this.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 04:01:30 pm »

Another theory: Maybe it just some of ThreeToe's stories.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:07:23 pm »

Draignean is correct. It's specifically displaying the raw creatures files in the order they are listed in the raw/ objects folder.

It literally says "Loading Object files . .. " "Creatures. . ."

The first three characters are Toad (tile 249), Toad Man (t), Giant Toad (T) from the first object file creature_amphibians.txt followed by creature_annelids.txt with Worm (~) and Worm Man (w) and then jumping to the next file with Blue Jay (Tile 249) and so on and so forth (e.g. JJJTTT represent Jaguar, Jaguar Man, Giant Jaguar, Tiger, Tiger Man, Giant Tiger in that order).

@Nagidal as you may already know, the characters represent different things based on color and context. For instance, the % character represents many things . . . from the wiki, "Prepared meal, unexplored underground, screw pump in action, footprints in sneaking mode, various fruits*, various buds*, various stones*, Bismuthinite* and in this case Floating Guts. In other words, that's not an arrow head it's a Manta Ray and depending on the color of "the bag" you were referring to it's not what you think. ;]

edit: provided links

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:12:09 pm by burned »
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »

Each world contains a different (although large) subset of creatures.

No, every world loads from the same raws.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 07:20:06 pm »

I haven't seen too many creatures in DF, especially the cave or oceanic creatures. Reading the raws makes perfect sense here. I haven't really had a proper look at them yet, so it did not come into my mind. Thank you for explaining this.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »

Draignean is correct. It's specifically displaying the raw creatures files in the order they are listed in the raw/ objects folder.

It literally says "Loading Object files . .. " "Creatures. . ."

The first three characters are Toad (tile 249), Toad Man (t), Giant Toad (T) from the first object file creature_amphibians.txt followed by creature_annelids.txt with Worm (~) and Worm Man (w) and then jumping to the next file with Blue Jay (Tile 249) and so on and so forth (e.g. JJJTTT represent Jaguar, Jaguar Man, Giant Jaguar, Tiger, Tiger Man, Giant Tiger in that order).

@Nagidal as you may already know, the characters represent different things based on color and context. For instance, the % character represents many things . . . from the wiki, "Prepared meal, unexplored underground, screw pump in action, footprints in sneaking mode, various fruits*, various buds*, various stones*, Bismuthinite* and in this case Floating Guts. In other words, that's not an arrow head it's a Manta Ray and depending on the color of "the bag" you were referring to it's not what you think. ;]

edit: provided links

Never have I thought they were random. Always assumed it was loading creatures. Thanks for the confirm. Was also curious.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast