Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Misc Custom Creatures [Heavily WIP] v1.0  (Read 4291 times)

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
  • "Drop the hemp wool sock!"
    • View Profile
Misc Custom Creatures [Heavily WIP] v1.0
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:38:05 am »

MISC CUSTOM CREATURES

This mod adds a few creatures (including a new civ) that i've personally wanted to see interact with the game world. None of them are complete, nor are all of them even started, however most are to a point where i can pretty happily just let them go for a while so i can do other things.

Creatures
The first (and most complete) creature is the Arctic Kobold.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Arctic Kobold, or Snowbold for short, was probably the reason i started doing this. They mostly set up primitive tribal hamlets around the colder regions of the world, sending out bands of hunters into the wilderness to hunt snowy owls or something. (Will probably add arctic creatures to actually give them something to hunt.)

The second most complete so far is the Rexagon.
The Rexagon is one of a few (upcoming)creatures of alien origin. You'd really prefer not angering one. (Please let me know if it's too aggressive, I want it to behave almost like a scared cat. Also, it does not show up in the arena menu. If you can help with this, let me know.)

The last creature for now is the Grim Apparition.
The Grim Apparition is essentially the Reaper. A being of immense power that wanders the night claiming souls. It is pretty unfinished, but it gets the point across. The bogeymen problem is still there, i'll get round to it eventually.

You can play as a member of each creature in adventure mode. The Snowbold and Rexagon may show up in your Fortress playthroughs as well.

Install
If you want to try these out, just take the Creature, Entity and Language .txt files from each folder and put them in your DF 'raw > objects' folder. The files called 'snowbold' and 'death_claim' go in the 'data > speech' folder. It should allow custom things that creatures can say.

Download

Leave as much feedback as you can. I want to work to a point where each creature is about as polished and feature complete as possible.
Also PS: I'm lazy so bare with me if i disappear sometimes.
Also PPS: I might take suggestions if i like the sound of them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:31:37 am by EpicJ »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Custom Creatures [Heavily WIP] v1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 05:18:33 pm »

So I looked through the files for these creatures and they might be corrupted.

Now I'm not an expert modder, but I know that this is not supposed to be a thing:

Code: [Select]
[LAIR:WILDERNESS_LOCATION:25
[LAIR:SIMPLE_MOUND:20
[LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:15
[LAIR:SHRINE:10
[HABIT:COLLECT_TROPHIES:30
[HABIT:COOK_VERMIN:60
[HABIT:GRIND_VERMIN:40
[HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH:20
SEMIMEGABEAST

So... before I use this mod, I would appreciate it if you could look through the creature files and set this right. There are multiple other problems like this throughout the files, and I don't know what is and isn't supposed to be. Please tell me when this is fixed though, I really do want to see what this mod has in store.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:27:45 am »

So I looked through the files for these creatures and they might be corrupted.

Now I'm not an expert modder, but I know that this is not supposed to be a thing:

I forgot i did that.

It's not corruption, i've simply left out the closing bracket on a few tokens to disable them temporarily. Like i said, the mod is extremely WIP, so there will be some odd-looking/unfinished-looking things in the files.

As far as i know the 'disabled' tokens shouldn't interfere with the creature at all. If it really bugs you i could go and remove them for the release versions but i don't see the point if they're not an issue.

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:09:08 pm »

Very nice, I love seeing mods that aren't complete overhauls, but instead just add some content here or there
Do continue your work
"Honestly, I have no idea how that got there"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:13:31 pm »

It's not corruption, i've simply left out the closing bracket on a few tokens to disable them temporarily. Like i said, the mod is extremely WIP, so there will be some odd-looking/unfinished-looking things in the files.

As far as i know the 'disabled' tokens shouldn't interfere with the creature at all. If it really bugs you i could go and remove them for the release versions but i don't see the point if they're not an issue.

I see. I'll extract and use the mod then, I will tell you if it works with the ASCII tileset I use.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:37:39 pm »

Update: This is a pretty cool mod. Testing it out in arena mode, I don't think the custom death bragging for killing snowbolds works, though it might just not work in arena mode. In other news, the grim apparition is capable of killing humans, but it isn't very durable, and constantly loses limbs even when fighting unarmed snowbolds. It needs some work if you want it to be a capable foe.

In other news, they all just use the default tile for dwarves. That should probably be changed.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:18:35 pm »

Update: This is a pretty cool mod. Testing it out in arena mode, I don't think the custom death bragging for killing snowbolds works, though it might just not work in arena mode. In other news, the grim apparition is capable of killing humans, but it isn't very durable, and constantly loses limbs even when fighting unarmed snowbolds. It needs some work if you want it to be a capable foe.

In other news, they all just use the default tile for dwarves. That should probably be changed.

I tried to mod Snowbolds as exceptionally good fighters. Still some work to balance them out but i'm getting there.

The Grim Apparition will get some buffs soon. I haven't quite worked out all the stats for it yet.

I think i'll just change the tiles to the most suitable ones in ASCII. I'm not sure if ASCII is is the most used 'tile set', but it's the default that the game uses so best to just base it on that.

As for the Bragging speeches, they should work in adventure mode after killing a Snowbold. I believe you have to select a specific option for it though. (Haven't really had time to try it out properly, since Snowbolds are pretty hard to find.)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:44 pm »

As for the Bragging speeches, they should work in adventure mode after killing a Snowbold. I believe you have to select a specific option for it though. (Haven't really had time to try it out properly, since Snowbolds are pretty hard to find.)

I only tried it out in the arena, I just assumed it would work for both. Apparently not  >:(

So what role do snowbolds play in fortress mode?

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »

So what role do snowbolds play in fortress mode?

Snowbolds will essentially be higher level Kobolds.

They currently should steal stuff from forts, and will eventually be much more fiercely armed, although attacking in small numbers.

Note that they aren't hostile to everything by default, so there should be a chance that they'll trade or send diplomats if they're not at war with your civ. A lot of this is just planned though, not necessarily working as of yet.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 10:02:45 pm »

After about one million attempts, I got a world with a large and thriving arctic kobold civilization. They didn't do much besides get frequently raided by a tundra titan, but one mega bad*** snowbold named Imene frequently robbed a vault.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 03:54:36 pm »

That's pretty much the extent of their world-gen activity as of now. Either they die out quickly due to megabeasts/wars, or they get a lucky spot far enough away from everyone else and manage to build an incredibly successful criminal movement.

They also seem to like necromancy a lot.

And apparently are eligible to become kings/queens on rare occasions.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 04:37:26 pm »

I also found some grim apparitions, and in a strange way, they actually make the game easier.

I only ever found any when being attacked by bogeymen, and they actually fought with the bogeymen and killed quite a few of them, and by the end of it they couldn't even stand up anymore. Not sure if that is what was intended.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »

I only ever found any when being attacked by bogeymen, and they actually fought with the bogeymen and killed quite a few of them, and by the end of it they couldn't even stand up anymore. Not sure if that is what was intended.

Still working out the kinks with this.

I'll probably end up changing how and when they appear, although they should also act as nightcreatures.

They're not supposed to make the game easier, that's for sure.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:46:40 pm »

Right now I'm trying to become a necromancer so I can animate one of them, but understandably I'm having trouble storming a fortress full of undead.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 10:23:02 am »

Right now I'm trying to become a necromancer so I can animate one of them

If you're looking to reanimate a Grim Apparition, you're out of luck. They're already technically undead.

Snowbolds should reanimate fine though.
Pages: [1] 2