Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is it possible to give different tile sheet for male and female ?  (Read 2613 times)

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if possible can someone tell me how

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to give different tile sheet for male and female ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:58:38 am »

No. It might be possible by modding. Maybe you could mod the two genders to have their owns castes to accomplish this?

from another thread:
Actually, here are two things you can do:

One, you can use custom professions, and then set each caste to have a naturally high level of skill in a given random profession, so they all look like that one profession.  This only works for CAN_LEARN creatures, however. 

Two, you can forgo graphics entirely, and set specific tileset tiles to each of the four castes.  This will require you sacrifice 4 tileset tiles, one for each caste.  This can get tricky if you are already using most of your tileset tiles for other things, as most of the tilesets already do.

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:28:09 am »

how to do it ?
also isnt male and female actually a different caste though?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:35:28 am »

how to do it ?
also isnt male and female actually a different caste though?
Correct.

Caste specific creature graphics are not possible, and the suggested use of profession sprites with high-skills a horrible, and mostly wrong, solution.

The second option is better, using tile-numbers, but they limit the amount of graphic tiles at your disposal. Instead of making a sprite for each profession, you only get a minimal amount of usable graphics... but you can distinguish between male and female, yes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:26:57 am »

i guess i get the gist of it, now how to make different graphic profession for male and female ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 01:39:35 am »

You can't.

Profession graphics only work with creature sprites in raw/graphics.
Caste graphics only work with creature tiles in raw/objects.

Pick one.

Unless someone write a dfhack script that automatically checks for the current profession and assigns a new tile number.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:48 am »

oh.... ok thanks

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »

You can't.

Profession graphics only work with creature sprites in raw/graphics.
Caste graphics only work with creature tiles in raw/objects.

Pick one.

Unless someone write a dfhack script that automatically checks for the current profession and assigns a new tile number.

So, what you're saying is, that I could for example have a fort with different sprites for male and female dwarves but they would all be the same 2 sprites? Is there any way for the game to pick sprites at random from a pool so they at least have different hair styles?
Newcastle 5 Chambers megaproject.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »

Picking from random pool is not possible.

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 05:27:47 pm »

Ah but wait, we can have more than 2 castes, right? I had someone mod the game for me such that there was 1 in 6 chance of dorfs being born with extra stats and funky appearance, and that was done with castes. So could we make more castes, where each one is either male or female dorfs, and each uses a different sprite?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:49 pm »

No...

You can mod in unlimited castes, but none of them will use sprites (from raw/graphics). All of them will use tiles (from data/art). This limits it to the number of free tiles in your tileset. Which are very few. It's also not possible to have nobles, military, children or undead as castes, so their graphics would also not work.

You can maybe make 10-20 castes with unique tiles, but that's still far less than the ~200 profession sprites that raw/graphics allows you to do.

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »

Ah damn it, and here I was getting excited. Oh well, maybe one of these days Toady will make it possible T_T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 05:36:47 pm »

My bets are on Mifki, not Toady for that one.

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:29 pm »

That somehow seems... more reassuring? I've petitioned Mifki to look into it, just in case he will have the time and will for such fancies :) Who knows? Maybe my dream of female dwarves running around will come true  ;D