Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Basic 16x16 pony sprites for use in any MLP mods  (Read 10393 times)

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Basic 16x16 pony sprites for use in any MLP mods
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:50:50 pm »

I'm not a great spriter, but after noticing all the MLP mods use plain old ASCII for the poor ponies even when all the other creatures have their own graphics, I couldn't stand idly by. So here are some simple sprites. You are free to use/edit/color them in whatever way you please, no need to ask for permission. Feedback appreciated. I might try to make soldier tiles and alicorns if there's a demand.

Preview (blue background for clarity):

Preview in-game:

With some rudimentary Phoebus' tileset editing, here they are in an old version of My Little Fortress (since it's what I had around). Of course the colors are profession colors, not pony colors, but I think it looks neat anyway. Could check the individuals' coat colors and train them in appropriate professions...

Download:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12751

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:09:20 pm by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
Re: Basic 16x16 pony sprites for use in any MLP mods
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:18 am »

Nice! That was one of the things that broke immersion for me in those mod packs. Now I can play Friendship is Magma!

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:20:22 pm »

Nice! That was one of the things that broke immersion for me in those mod packs. Now I can play Friendship is Magma!
Yay! Glad you found them of use.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »

I feel dumb... ^^; I know how to install a tileset, but how would I add this and get it to work? I really wanna be able to see the ponies when using mods instead of the other icon they use.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 04:32:27 pm »

I feel dumb... ^^; I know how to install a tileset, but how would I add this and get it to work? I really wanna be able to see the ponies when using mods instead of the other icon they use.

Don't feel dumb. This isn't exactly installable as-is; you'd need to edit it into a tileset file and change pony raws for the icons to actually be used. If you have a tileset you'd like to use, I might try to whip something up. I'll also need to know what mod you're playing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:36:28 pm by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »

Don't feel dumb. This isn't exactly installable as-is; you'd need to edit it into a tileset file and change pony raws for the icons to actually be used. If you have a tileset you'd like to use, I might try to whip something up. I'll also need to know what mod you're playing.

My Little Fortress Losing is Magic and Friendship is Magma both, just in different folders I actually use the same tileset as you or Meph. But I have no idea what I'm doing to make this work for a tileset. ^^;
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:27:24 pm by Alkmayix »

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 03:35:57 pm »

My Little Fortress Losing is Magic and Friendship is Magma both, just in different folders I actually use the same tileset as you or Meph. But I have no idea what I'm doing to make this work for a tileset. ^^;

Hey, I thought I'd be able to do this for you but I've just moved to the other side of the city and the last week's been pure chaos. When I actually have a place set up for my computer I'm gonna see about making a tileset.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 06:21:43 pm »

Hey, I thought I'd be able to do this for you but I've just moved to the other side of the city and the last week's been pure chaos. When I actually have a place set up for my computer I'm gonna see about making a tileset.

Oh it's alright moving makes things pretty crazy even if it's a street or 2 away. But yeah I just use Phoebus and Melph sets as of now (Mostly Melph), can't find anything else at 16x16 or bigger I like. ^^;
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:28:01 pm by Alkmayix »

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 07:45:12 pm »

Sorry to now necro this but did this thread finally die? :<

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »

As far as I know, this is the only thread about adding sprites for pony characters. That makes this a sort of reference thread, in my opinion.

Once the tileset gets posted, I think it should also be uploaded to the wiki under mods. I'll want to add a link to this thread from the wiki entry.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Nopal

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:20:37 pm »

<Rude>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:08:48 pm by Nopal »

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:34 am »

Being honest here, the my little pony people always give me the creeps cringe an uneasy feeling but I'll try to trow my bad blood away and be nice and maybe useful.

I made some graphics:

Spoiler: professions (click to show/hide)
Makin' 16x16 graphics is always a pain on the arsehole.
Btw I was lookin' some references for the mlp baby horse sprite in Google Images and wtf! I just see some of the most horrid fanart thing ever like seriously WTF withthesefuckin'peoplewhatinthehellinspiresuchdisgustingthings??... Why Armok?... Why?

While these are nice they're not exactly what I was looking for I was just hoping to get the ones Roqi made integrated into a tileset since I have no idea how to do that. Now on the note of foals/colts proper babies aren't really ever shown past a very few instances in the current version of the show so you're not going to really find any ref past fan art.

Nopal

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »

<Rude>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:09:26 pm by Nopal »

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 09:22:23 pm »

While these are nice they're not exactly what I was looking for I was just hoping to get the ones Roqi made integrated into a tileset since I have no idea how to do that.
Oh...

Tileset right?...  Okay I think here's something you can do.
Spoiler: Instructions (click to show/hide)
Now on the note of foals/colts proper babies aren't really ever shown past a very few instances in the current version of the show so you're not going to really find any ref past fan art.
My reference were this little shits.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought those were the babies.

Nah those are babies, my point was more just they're aren't a ton of them shown in the show xD I know with say Pheobus the process isn't that easy or so I was told...which was what I want to put it with that or Meph's set. Meph's is bigger though so prolly not gonna get it working too well with that one. lol

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:00 am »

Hey, so I'm not dead, shockingly. After the move I just absolutely forgot about this, and randomly remembered a few days ago...
Here's how things stand. The two ways these sprites could be used are:

1) As graphics, much in the way Nopal demonstrated. This means:
+could have different sprites for every profession (that I'm not willing to make, mind you)
+could have them have actual colors
-earths, unicorns, and pegasi would all use the same icon set
+would require only minor graphics raws editing to be used with any mod

2) As part of a tileset. You know how earth ponies appear as 'e', pegasi as 'p', and unicorns as 'u'? Well, if you remap them to less-used tiles, and make sure nothing else uses them so that you don't get a pipe section with a pony sprite, you can have tribe-specific graphics. It's what I did in the first post. So:
+has different sprites for every pony tribe
-no profession graphics
+but still has profession colors
-would require changes to the actual game's files to remap at least one tile that you'd use for the ponies, thus not being as easy to port
-different DF versions use different tile assignments and different tilesets, so it couldn't be just pasted from a mod for an old version to the current

I would personally be in favor of option 2 (because I like knowing who's a what kinda pony), if not for the last thing. Pony mods seem to each be running on a different version of DF, and every one would require a different tileset and different raw edits.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?
Pages: [1] 2