Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Basic 16x16 pony sprites for use in any MLP mods  (Read 10408 times)

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Basic 16x16 pony sprites for use in any MLP mods
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:25 am »

I was hoping to do that second one but idk how, I don't mind no unique profession graphics colors is fine. I don't wanna bork my game editng files then not knowing how to fix it since I can't just run it through a code compiler and have that tell me errors and where they are.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Basic 16x16 pony sprites for use in any MLP mods
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:44 am »

Hey, so I'm not dead, shockingly. After the move I just absolutely forgot about this, and randomly remembered a few days ago...
Here's how things stand. The two ways these sprites could be used are:

1) As graphics, much in the way Nopal demonstrated. This means:
+could have different sprites for every profession (that I'm not willing to make, mind you)
+could have them have actual colors
-earths, unicorns, and pegasi would all use the same icon set
+would require only minor graphics raws editing to be used with any mod

2) As part of a tileset. You know how earth ponies appear as 'e', pegasi as 'p', and unicorns as 'u'? Well, if you remap them to less-used tiles, and make sure nothing else uses them so that you don't get a pipe section with a pony sprite, you can have tribe-specific graphics. It's what I did in the first post. So:
+has different sprites for every pony tribe
-no profession graphics
+but still has profession colors
-would require changes to the actual game's files to remap at least one tile that you'd use for the ponies, thus not being as easy to port
-different DF versions use different tile assignments and different tilesets, so it couldn't be just pasted from a mod for an old version to the current

I would personally be in favor of option 2 (because I like knowing who's a what kinda pony), if not for the last thing. Pony mods seem to each be running on a different version of DF, and every one would require a different tileset and different raw edits.

Honestly I'd totally be fine with an option 2 I've never fiddled with. Was just hoping for something simple like your first screenshot showing off the tiles was.
Pages: 1 [2]