Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: We will show them! (Halfling village builder ISG)  (Read 4396 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: We will show them! (Halfling village builder ISG)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »

PTW, Seems interestin
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »

We will show them!
Turn overview

Day 1 - You gotta start somewhere!
Voting results
Lelvyt: 3
Deppuc: 1
Klenzbyvem: 1
Redpucirt: 2

And here you are. Founder Lelvyt. You like the sound of that.
Your speech turned out to be very encouraging and your people can't wait to get to work.
Flivairwin gives you a beautifully ornamented staff, the founder staff. Every founder or leader of a halfling settlement gets one, and this is yours!

You lead a group of 10 halflings (including you), all from different villages near the Western border of the kingdom.
Some have more, some have less useful professions, but everyone is more than eager to help.

The few possessions you and your fellow halflings gathered throughout your lives are stored nearby, in the carts and carriages you arrived with.
There are four hand carts and two small carriages and their draught animals.
The animals are peacefully grazing nearby, contentedly chewing on the sweet grasses.

Tasks

Ressources
Amount/NameTypeNutrition(Food)Description

Villagers
Deppuc Nensnifain,88
Singer
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Fliraal Snigbig,19
Jeweler
Flivairwin Glavalor,61
Woodcarver
Jonyrkat Knambyc,22
Pastry Cook
Klenzbyvem Glavalor,60
Hatter
Founder Lelvyt Ladnirt,29
Butcher, Founder
Redbucirt Dipri,43
Innkeeper
Snodeddwir Dipri,26
Nurse
Togbyss Snigbig,49
Stablehand
Unklihuth Snigbig,112
Fisherman

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 06:21:51 pm »

So what happens now?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 06:25:30 pm »

What happens now is that Unklihuth Snigbig begins fishing, the founder slaughters the lone Llama, Klenzbyvem Glavalor makes us an awesome hat out of its fur, and the rest of the guys explore the surrounding area.

Also, what's going on with that rock to our south-east? It has strange stuff on it.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:32 pm »

Try to take down that tree, one way or another. You'll need the wood to start building !

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 07:19:58 pm »

We should check/take stock of the resources we have in our carriages, that way we can know if we have building materials or not.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »

PTW!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 07:53:09 pm »

"
'Mean tallfolks. Chasing halflings out of town! Say halflings steal and spy. Halflings never steal! Halflings borrow! Halflings bring back... most times!'
"
Oh god, we're not playing a group of Kender, are we?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 09:12:48 pm »

"
'Mean tallfolks. Chasing halflings out of town! Say halflings steal and spy. Halflings never steal! Halflings borrow! Halflings bring back... most times!'
"
. . . . . . . .
Self-immolate.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:13 am »

So what happens now?

It is a suggestion game. You suggest what should happen next, and at the end of the day I will take the suggestions, add a bit of randomness and make things happen.

"
"
Since I've never heard of Kender before, no. ;)

Most of the humans on this part of the world live in medieval-like societies. There are prejudices, superstition, low education. Humans see most other races as inferior, and while in communities with a large percentage of halflings those tendencies aren't as strong, they grow stronger the lower that percentage is. In a balanced community, there are as many halfling criminals as there are human criminals, and most halflings are normal people living their life. Another reason for their bad reputation in smaller communities is, that the halflings, due to the reasons mentioned above, are often being ignored and isolated by the humans and thus are more likely to turn to crime to get by.

About stealing and borrowing: For halflings it is common sense to share things with their neighbors. In a halfling community, people don't have to ask if they borrow things, and usually they bring them back when they are done using them. If they get destroyed or damaged, they will let the owner know. Unfortunately, many halflings tend to forget that humans don't handle things like halflings do, and so it happens quite often that a halfling "borrows" a tool, which the human interprets as stealing. That could add to the halflings reputation as thieves, but most of the time the "stealing" happens in good faith.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 06:04:49 pm »

We will show them!
Turn overview

Day 2 - Taking stock
One of the reserved posts is the compendium,the other the turn overview.

I added two entries to the compendium,and everytime I explain something to you (about the world or the species or whatever),
I will add it to the compendium.I will also add animals to the compendium once you saw them and gave them a name.

Every halfling needs about 50 nutrition each day. Nutrition is shown in the ressource list. I will remove different foods, until I reach the required nutrition (500 right now). The less different food there is, the greater the chance that your villagers grow unhappy, and the less the chance for positive events to happen.

I will work on the ressource list. Maybe several spoilers for the different types. And I will add a sorting algorithm for it to my software.

The first day goes by quickly.
Most villagers are busy unpacking their stuff, and a handful halflings go exploring the surrounding area.
Unklihuth just unpacks her fishing rod and some worms she gathered on her way here and hurries to the close lake.
"Hopefully there are some big, tasty fishes in there!", she excitedly says out loud.

You think about taking down the tree nearby, but you are surrounded by forest, so there really is no need to cut down the only tree here.

You also think about slaughtering the beaked llama, considering that you cannot breed it and don't really need it to pull a carriage anymore.
You can't do that on the bare ground, though. Instead, you decide to take a closer look at that strange stuff growing on the boulder below your camp.

It seems to be some kind of lichen growing on the rocky surface. There are tiny, blue berries hanging from it, but you think it would be better to not try one right now. Maybe someone here has greater knowledge of plants and berries than you do.

The llama keeps chewing on the lush grass and doesn't seem bothered by your train of thoughts.

At midday, Deppuc Nensnifain, Klenzbyvem Glavalor, Redbucirt Dipri and Togbyss Snigbig formed two scouting teams, one heading to the North and the other to the South.
They should be back tomorrow.

As the day nears its end, the last things are unpacked.
You still use the crates and chests and carriages as storage since you don't have anything else,
but now everything is sorted and you know what's there.

Most halflings brought their working toolsets with them.
There's also a bunch of food, enough for a few days at least.
You should try to gather and eat fresh food before using the durable stuff, though.
There are some spare sets of linen clothing.
And then there are the valuables.
Some of your halflings brought things they couldn't sell before leaving.
There is a lot of well-made jewelry, some wooden figurines, a bunch of pretty hats,
some rare and valuable liqour bottles and even recipes and song lyrics.

Should there ever be a trader visiting you, you surely can buy a lot of stuff with some of these things as payment.

Aside from the things sorted and stored now, there are 2 medium-sized carriages, 4 medium-sized handcarts, 2 cloud oxen and 1 beaked llama.

"Lelvyt!", you hear Deppuc, the singer, calling your name.
He hurries towards you, a scroll of paper in his hand.
"Lelvyt, I brought this map with me. I think you should have it, since you are our leader now.. you know. The founder!"
He shows a slight smile, which he doesn't seem to do often.
You smile and thank him for the map before you take a look at it.

It seems to show your home kingdom, Arteura, and its neighbours to the South and East.
It even shows the unclaimed land to the West and the big forest, and even beyond!
It's only drawn roughly, you can't even find your clearing on it, but Deccup marked where you should be, more or less.

All in all it's not a bad start!

Tasks
Unklihuth Snigbig is fishing at the near lake. Remaining days: 1
Deppuc Nensnifain and Klenzbyvem Glavalor are scouting to the North of the camp. Remaining days: 1
Redbucirt Dipri and Togbyss Snigbig are scouting to the South of the camp. Remaining days: 1

Ressources
Amount/NameTypeNutrition(Food)Description
1 x animal caretaking toolsetTOOL
4 kg ApplesFOOD50An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
1 x basic medical toolsTOOL
1 x butchering toolsetTOOL
3 kg CabbageFOOD20It's cabbage.
5 kg dried and salted seaspearFOOD80Seaspears look like spears and are common everywhere on the coast.
4 kg dried cloudox meatFOOD110Cloudox meat has a very rich taste but can be quite chewy.
2 kg dustbreadFOOD60Very dry but durable bread.
5 x exceptional colorful hatVALUABLE
1 x exceptional golden ringsVALUABLE
2 x exceptional silver ringsVALUABLE
4 x exceptional wooden figurinesVALUABLE
1 x extremely rare bottle of wineVALUABLE
1 x fish cleaning toolsetTOOL
1 x fishing equipmentTOOL
1 x hatting toolsetTOOL
1 x jewelry toolsetTOOL
2 x medium carriageVEHICLE
4 x medium handcartVEHICLE
1 x pastry cooking toolsetTOOL
4 x rare bottles of hard liquorVALUABLE
6 x set of linen clothingARMORContains underwear, pants and a shirt, all white.
2 x superior quality golden ringsVALUABLE
2 x superior quality silver necklacesVALUABLE
2 x superior quality silver ringsVALUABLE
1 x woodcarving toolsetTOOL
2 x written down pastry recipesVALUABLE
3 x written down song lyricsVALUABLE
2 x cloudoxANIMALThe quite small cloud oxen normally live in colder regions, but have no trouble surviving in warmer climates, too. They are used by halflings and other small races as drought animals and their wool is very soft and full.
3 x woodcutting axeTOOL
3 x shovelTOOL
2 x small hammerTOOL
2 x big hammerTOOL
2 x wood sawTOOL
1 x hand drillTOOL
10 m² linen clothTOOL
3 m² leatherTOOL
1 x world mapVALUABLE
1 x beaked llamaANIMALBeaked llamas are found in the more hilly regions. They are mostly used as a food source and sometimes as a draught animal for smaller races.

Villagers
Deppuc Nensnifain,88
Singer
Fliraal Snigbig,19
Jeweler
Flivairwin Glavalor,61
Woodcarver
Butcher, Founder
Jonyrkat Knambyc,22
Pastry Cook
Klenzbyvem Glavalor,60
Hatter
Butcher, Leader
Redbucirt Dipri,43
Innkeeper
Snodeddwir Dipri,26
Nurse
Togbyss Snigbig,49
Stablehand
Unklihuth Snigbig,112
Fisherman

edit: tweaked the colors of the world map. it's slightly darker now, and the mountains and desert are easier to identify as such.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:20:17 am by Asgarus »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 06:59:37 pm »

Also, what's going on with that rock to our south-east? It has strange stuff on it.
I'm more intrigued by the possibility that there's something underneath the central rock.

But if there's some way to move the rocks, the suggested first use for the felled tree (axe and saw used) is to use as rollers to try to move the rocks into a circle, the gaps between being small enough to reuse the logs and pile up soil (shovel) to form barricades/closable entrances in each of those gaps. Then get everything except the larger carriages (maybe useful gap-blockers/enteyways?) inside, upend the smaller carts (two each) against each other for basic shelter against rain for goods and villagers who need it.  Add leafy branches to further weatherproof and extend the coverage of the 'eaves'.

If the rocks are firmly immovable, we need a pick/chisel or equivalent, though. If the hammer isn't that kind of tool. See about (maybe) woodcarver Flivairwin making something from handy sized tree branches and whatever loose rock might be found?  If that can be done, start to create a low wall (aiming eventually to a broch-like communal building, if enough stone is available) from any haulable but still substantial stone lumps that don't have any other obvious use, such as being useful metal ores.

And five fancy hats?  Give a hat to anyone who takes on a leadership role or otherwise provides a major service in the founding or any other major phase in the settlement. They get to keep the hat (or take it with them to the grave) even if they are replaced, as a variation on permanent borrowing. If more hats are needed, more hats shall be made.  Wemhave the technology!

(Extended PTW. But all for your considerations.)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 07:16:22 pm »

"
"

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kender

http://challengerating25.blogspot.com/2008/12/kendaaagh.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:20:27 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 04:31:48 am »

"
"

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kender

http://challengerating25.blogspot.com/2008/12/kendaaagh.html

Oh well... I have to admit that there seem to be some similarities^^
My halflings are not that extreme, though.
Of course you can push this towards becoming a city of thieves and assassins or something like that, but that's definitely not what I had in mind when choosing halflings^^ (to be honest it was just a random decision, I just felt like "why not halflings?", and I will define them further with every question that comes up).

ps: gonna tweak the world map a bit, just color related stuff.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 08:44:28 am »

I'm more intrigued by the possibility that there's something underneath the central rock.

But if there's some way to move the rocks, the suggested first use for the felled tree (axe and saw used) is to use as rollers to try to move the rocks into a circle, the gaps between being small enough to reuse the logs and pile up soil (shovel) to form barricades/closable entrances in each of those gaps. Then get everything except the larger carriages (maybe useful gap-blockers/enteyways?) inside, upend the smaller carts (two each) against each other for basic shelter against rain for goods and villagers who need it.  Add leafy branches to further weatherproof and extend the coverage of the 'eaves'.

If the rocks are firmly immovable, we need a pick/chisel or equivalent, though. If the hammer isn't that kind of tool. See about (maybe) woodcarver Flivairwin making something from handy sized tree branches and whatever loose rock might be found?  If that can be done, start to create a low wall (aiming eventually to a broch-like communal building, if enough stone is available) from any haulable but still substantial stone lumps that don't have any other obvious use, such as being useful metal ores.

And five fancy hats?  Give a hat to anyone who takes on a leadership role or otherwise provides a major service in the founding or any other major phase in the settlement. They get to keep the hat (or take it with them to the grave) even if they are replaced, as a variation on permanent borrowing. If more hats are needed, more hats shall be made.  Wemhave the technology!
+1

Also I did the math and I think we only have 2.5 days of food. Depending on what people find during their exploring butchering the livestock might be required to survive. In light of this we should use our leaders hatchet to chop down that tree so we can get our woodcrafter on making a workshop for butchering. We could take apart the carriages for resources but we can use those for sleeping until we get something more permanent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3