Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 285

Author Topic: Tengoku no Owari SI IC: Yuki Is (Not) Fine  (Read 210040 times)

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tengoku no Owari SI IC: Murder on the Dance Floor
« Reply #4200 on: April 06, 2021, 08:07:28 am »

The walk back to the safehouse had been quiet, frankly bleeding tension. To be certain, it wouldn't have made much sense to talk about things while still out and about, but even so the mood seemed frustrated.

Once Hanzo had been safely stowed for interrogation, Shef spoke up. "I suppose an apology is in order."

"Should have mentioned it before the mission, should have tested it more in settings with allies prior, should have realized that it would be indiscriminate. So. . . yeah. I'm sorry for that." Maybe he could have asked Winter and Enn if he could have shown it off in a training setting or something.

"On the bright side, we did pull this off in record time. . .right?"

Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: April 06, 2021, 09:32:35 am »

Yuki, if she noticed the tension, wasn't showing it. She was more happy the mission had, in the end, worked out. "C'est bon! It was really cool though! Driving the enemy mad with sheer murderous intent, an aura of determination!" she said - once they weren't being afflicted by animalistic, mind numbing terror, it was a really cool sort of special skill! She felt like there was something she was forgetting about though...
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: April 06, 2021, 11:45:31 am »

Kouta
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

"Aramitama inbound."
"Take out the heart, get the hostages out of there."

No need to tell you twice.

You let loose your arrow, blasting apart the heart and only the heart. Mrs Kato's too close to the squad leader for a larger blast.

The doors snap open as you activate the Ardent Module and you feel a new heartbeat begin to beat. The heartbeat of Sendo itself.

[Now Playing: Destiny]

You charge forwards. The Dopants raise their weapons, spinning round to meet you. But you are not alone. You have a teammate. You have covering fire. The first bullet strikes one of the Dopants in the chest, though by then it is no longer a bullet, for it had become thing else. A flash of white light that seems to tear a gaping hole in the armor leaving the body intact. Then comes the second bullet, right after the first. A hollowpoint round, tearing into the flesh before the armor can flicker back into existence. A lethal one-two punch, delivered in a staccato burst fire.

By the time you've closed in, three Dopants have fallen. By the time you've closed in your hoodie has become a mantle, and upon your head rests a crown. Power surges through you. Great and terrible power. Ever growing. Ever increasing. A deluge not even you can withstand. You feel it. The power you attained in that singular moment when you made the contract. The power beyond what you wield now. The power you had discarded. The power that would make you not who you are. Bit by bit it is returning to you.

You cannot maintain this form forever you realize. For eventually, you will not be you. But until then, until that instant Kouta Fuuri forgets all that he is, your powers will continue to grow. And if that is what it will take to save your friends, then so be it. You can endure this. You can hold on. To your humanity. To your sense of self.

A Dopant swings their rifle barrel to your head. You grab it by both hands, tearing it free from their grasp and slamming its butt against its ally's knees. Pretty sure you broke them.

Deciding that they'd rather not be near you while you're doing whatever the fuck you're doing, the squad leader releases their grasp on Mrs. Kato and does their weird FTL backwards, using the time brought by their ending I-frames to stab themselves with another syringe. "「Ambitious」"

Black smoke emits from their body, congealing into a group of mimes. Two of them mime out walls in front of them, not really going to stop you, but likely providing some measure of protection against Yuri. The rest mime firing guns. At the hostages.

It's a simple ultimatum really. Take the bullets. Or watch your friends die.

Course what they didn't account for is for that sword to fall out of the sky.

Well, sword might be a bit of a misnomer here. It's not really a sword, rather it's just this massive sharpened hunk of metal. A heavy cleaver wide enough to serve as makeshift shield, one that catches the bullets for you. Darkness erupts from the blade, rippling out across the roof, and covering it in a thin film of black ink, a film of ink that the blade sinks down into.

It is from this black ink that a massive metallic gauntlet erupts, seizing the Dopant squad leader and dragging them down into the depths of something that by all rights should be less than a millimeter deep.

"Your backup is here."

You glance over at Yuri. He wasn't your backup?

He shrugs "Was just passing by."

Well, looks like you've got two teammates now to help brace for what happens next.

Which as it turns out is an Aramitama attempting to drag everyone into its Sanctuary. Emphasis on attempting. You feel something slam shut. Like a metaphysical beartrap. Choking. Choking on prey far too big for its maw.

It's you, you realize.

You're jamming it.

It's trying to drag you in. Drag everyone in. But you're connected to Sendo. All of Sendo. It may be able to drag a boy in. But it can't drag the entire city in. It won't be getting a home field advantage here.

Either it cuts its losses and runs, or it mans up and fights you outside.

It opts for the latter. The air slices open and it appears before you, a knightly figure clad in armor of quicksilver, swinging a liquid blade. It's really long blade. Like, absurdly long. Like, you full on can't dodge it horizontally because the swing covers half the roof.

It is here that you get to see your new ally in their entirety, a hulking figure clad in what is best described as a mutated sci-fi rendition of an old-timey diving suit. A hulking, heavily armored figure, that moves in a way no human could, less leaping from the ink and more being swung like a marionette missing half its strings. They don't so much parry the blow so much as they just collide into it, blade-first, cleaving the Aramitama's sword in half.

"Aria von Dermitz reporting for duty!"

...Okay yeah, if you were expecting any voice to come out of that thing, it probably isn't that of a cheerful young girl. Yuri doesn't seem too phased, instead he just uses this time to execute the remaining Dopants.

Anyways... with its attack foiled, the Aramitama steps backwards, the two halves of their broken sword retracting back into their hands and congealing into a pair of light machineguns that they bring to bear against, really just, everybody. You, Yuri, Aria. Okay now that, that's more your department.

As for the Tactical all the way at street-level... it's now just, drinking. Heavily.

Spoiler: Known Hypers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Lines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:52:57 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: April 06, 2021, 01:10:23 pm »

It was only when they reached the safehouse that Faith let herself take a long breath out, expelling some of the physical tension from her (frankly still sore) body and she let herself fall heavily onto the couch. "Ah, man, that was so, so close... stupid as usual though with the dumbass napalm tomatoes." Another deeeep breath in, and then a sigh out. That had been a huge adrenaline rush, the whole thing, and as her body equalized she was feeling jittery still.

It wasn't debilitating though, certainly not at this point. Faith then opened her eyes to look at Shef as he apologized, and replied to it with a shrug. "Eh... like... it sucked to feel, but you doing that whole thing was pretty much the only reason we didn't instantly fail the whole mission. I don't know if you were watching through portals or something and saw, but the Hunters were going for the detonator - I was watching them. So, honestly? Thanks for that."

Here, Faith's voice took on some sudden rancor - not shouting, mind, but not happy. "And the reason that they were going for the detonator is that, for some reason that probably only they can divine, Minato and Noriko started to get into a vicious argument right there in front of Hanzo and his bodyguards. It wasn't a fake argument designed to distract them - they were getting into it, complete with Noriko using her magic on Minato. But the thing that actually did it was that Minato started talking about our Godslayer career, USING OUR NAMES," okay, that one was a bit shouted, "and Noriko joined in until they let slip something that tipped the Hunters off. What the fuck possessed you two to do any of that? How does that make any sense?"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:18:17 pm by Powder Miner »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4204 on: April 06, 2021, 06:52:18 pm »

Noriko

"Piss off, you wouldn't understand a single thing about it." Noriko's glare was sharper than her preferred weapon. "And if I'd intentionally done anything to Minato, he'd be the one who flew through the roof. I'm sorry I'm not always perfectly logical, miss literally-powered-by-my-own-emotional-fragility, I would have thought you of all people might have gotten that part." A small part of her told Noriko that she was being far too nasty, but the beast dragged out of her earlier had only been temporarily restrained. "I understand that bad shit happening to me isn't a reason to do anything, though, so maybe I set the bar too high."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: April 06, 2021, 08:27:24 pm »

Faith pursed her lips and elected now to fully settle her displeasure on Noriko, at least for the time being, settling a look on her that wasn't quite a glare - more a look of judgement, which was probably worse. "Do you even at all understand why I'm angry about this? Did any of the stakes of anything that we've been doing here get communicated to you at all? I don't really care about whatever you two were actually arguing about, I care that you knew lives were on the line, and you decided it didn't matter. It's not some sort of... weird desire to see everyone be emotionless, Noriko. It's that you decided to not only directly endanger the lives of Hanzo and the people around him, but indirectly endanger the lives of the innocent people who would have been victimized by this whole fucking ring if we had lost that lead. Sakurako is YOUR CLASSMATE TOO, Noriko, you've SEEN what happens to people. Maybe you didn't see left her naked and bleeding, potentially dying, in the middle of the god damn road, but I DID, and I'm not going to forget it."

She paused here to point at Minato again. "You saw her too, Minato. And you've been doing this longer. You should absolutely have fucking known better."

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: April 06, 2021, 08:49:26 pm »

Huh? They were going for the detonator? But what could have triggered that? Oh. Okay then. That would explain. . . wait. NO, that didn't explain things! What the hell, what had happened? They'd been upstairs for two whole minutes. As Faith and Noriko's voices rose, Shef was seized with an increasing desire to leave the room and this madness. However, the absolute necessity of understanding what had happened, how in gods name things had gotten so close to failure, compelled him to remain.

Instead he pulled out the classic move. The classic move being his phone.
Yuki, know what the hell's going on here??
Shef shot her a questioning glance.
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:46 pm »

"Yeah, you're right, Faith, I should've known better. I know saying sorry, it won't happen again isn't going to be enough to make up for it, but it's all I can promise. Not that my apologies or my promises seem to be worth much of anything recently," Minato sounds more defeated than anything. Not much fight in him, it seems.

Fighting the villains, was one thing. Fighting his own friends, who he'd hoped would be the last people he'd deal with, was another.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: April 06, 2021, 09:54:06 pm »

Yuki was uncomfortably fidgeting in place as... well, things happened.

Noriko and Minato had an argument. I think the hunters recognized something they said before you did your thing.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4209 on: April 08, 2021, 09:42:09 am »

Kouta

An Aramitama. He didn't expect Ryoichi's birthday party to culminate in him fighting against a demon using the power of the entire city of Sendo as the latter tried to drown his sense of self in it, but sometimes plans changed.

First thing was to get his friends away. He moved to place himself between them and his new foe, raising his bow as he did. The bow was a distraction; his actual focus was on pulling at his power, pulling at himself, trying to find a way to take them out of danger. He peppered the Aramitama with light shots as he did, trying to keep its focus on himself and not on whatever sinister purpose it and its minions had for the people he protected.

Noriko

"Yeah, of course, clearly I'm a heartless bitch who doesn't care about collateral. Again, I thought you of all people might understand that it wasn't a decision. I got angry. Do you really think I never spare a moment to consider who else might be involved?" She took a threatening step toward Faith. "Do you not realize how much I worry about this every moment of every day? All the random innocents that could be in danger if I make one false move? Not to mention what might happen to my brother because I decided to do the right thing, my brother who STILL isn't here. The only reason I could move earlier while someone was blasting me with raw terror was because he could have gotten hurt if I went down there." She took another step, jabbing an accusatory finger toward the half-American girl. "How dare you accuse me of not caring?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: April 08, 2021, 01:23:17 pm »

Faith sighed and just looked at Minato with sort of a resigned grimace. "It's not really about apologizing to me anyway, Minato. It isn't really like I'm the wronged party here."

"The fact of the matter is that the only reason that people didn't die and the only reason the investigation of these people wasn't set hugely back is that Shef did what he did - and it might even have been a coincidence! It might have been nothing but luck that you don't have several lives on your hands right now, do you understand? "It wasn't a decision" doesn't cut it there, you have to be able to hold yourself together in a moment like that, or other people get hurt or killed. And do you know why I'm not so understanding about that?" Faith got closer to Noriko now - not moving her hands in a threatening way, but staring directly into her eyes. "Because I cried and ran away and hid in my home after that awful mansion, and the Awakened world literally burst through my window to let me know I couldn't stay out of it. I changed from the kind of girl who thinks that if she cries enoug-" Faith came to a sudden halt, taking a breath as she stopped herself from divulging something entirely to personal, "I changed from the type of girl who thought that crying and running away would mean nothing would hurt anymore, to the type of girl who faces down a problem and deals with it. I grew up. Because I had to. Yelling and screaming at any one of us isn't going to get rid of the dangers that you face, it's only going to make them worse. You need to do some growing up too. You have to. We don't have a choice anymore, Noriko. None of us do. And that includes you."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4211 on: April 08, 2021, 02:21:35 pm »

Noriko stood in front of Faith, silent. Her arm dropped to her side, fingers curling into a tight fist. "Grow up." Her voice was quiet, a stark contrast to her previous shouting. "You think I should grow up." Her teeth ground together, louder than her words. "You. Telling me. To grow up." Her arms trembled, the air getting thicker around her in a way Minato might recognize. "You really are stupid, aren't you? Do you have any idea what you just said? Who you said it to?" It took all of the mental strength she had to not snatch at Faith and attempt to slam the other girl into a wall.

"Get out. You don't understand anything, and you don't care. I'm starting to think none of you do." Tears started to leak out of the corners of her eyes; Noriko herself wasn't sure if it was the sheer force of rage, or sorrow beginning to rear its ugly head. "Get out, or I'm going to make you. I don't let strangers just stay in my room."
GM of Trespassers V2.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: April 08, 2021, 02:49:18 pm »

Faith had been winding up to continue a yelling match, but the response she got seemed to have been unexpected, as a fair amount of energy deflated out of her - in the end, Faith just ended up sighing and running a hand through her hair. "Of course I don't understand, Noriko. You don't understand me, either. We haven't exactly gone out of our ways to tell each other about the darkest parts of our lives. But... okay. I'll leave." Faith hadn't really meant to hurt Noriko like this, although she still felt that she was in the right - actually, she wasn't really sure how to balance between the feeling of guilt starting to seep in and the feeling of outrage that felt she was justified. So she settled for walking to the doorway, and turning to get a last few words in, before sighing and seeming to decide better of it, just leaving the building.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: April 08, 2021, 03:27:14 pm »

"....if that's what you want."
Minato follows Faith out of the door.

He hadn't the right to say anything, nor the energy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:30:39 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: April 08, 2021, 04:23:40 pm »

Following the determination that Yuki couldn't add much to the context that he didn't have, Shef had spent the next few minutes staring rather fixedly at a wall. He was clearly listening, but somewhat distracted by the creation of a little bit of insurance. When both Minato and Faith had left the room, he started, looking up. At least things had been nonviolent. Not much else positive could be said.

"Was that at me as well?" He was genuinely uncertain, not having paid enough attention to the precise wording of the statement.

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 285