Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trying to learn Java or something  (Read 1499 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to learn Java or something
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 07:12:51 am »

It's not so much a "refuse to" situation as simply working from what information I have.  You can always convince me otherwise.

We all only have so much free time to dedicate to a cause.  If my existing programming languages could create a standalone executable, I could have smashed out a prototype long ago: sure, "printing to the console" is a free-time-saving mechanism if the only thing you need is for the program to prove it works.  I'd gladly use something better so long as it meets the criteria I set out in my first post (including the "doesn't drive me insane with bad tutorials" one).

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Trying to learn Java or something
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 11:32:34 am »

If you really just need something with a good tutorial... you could always do C++ and use the lazyfoo tutorial at http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php
Plenty of power yet easy to use, and goes thru things very, very simply... plus there are actually quite a few good C++ resources out there (regardless of what everyone says, C++ is easy enough to learn if you have the right resources)

Quite frankly, it was easier for me to learn basic stuff in C++ than to get into Unity (though Unity tutorials have at least gotten a bit better... they still don't really explain whats going on at the core)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon
Pages: 1 [2]