Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Troglodytes aren't actually that dangerous  (Read 3604 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Troglodytes aren't actually that dangerous
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 06:20:05 pm »

Recently, a forgotten beast attacked my fortress and my hunter killed it in one punch.

Not even the forgotten beasts are a problem anymore.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »

Recently, a forgotten beast attacked my fortress and my hunter killed it in one punch.

Not even the forgotten beasts are a problem anymore.
Forgotten beats are randomly generated, so their difficulty can vary immensely. A forgotten beast made of steam is going to be murdered by a cat, a forgotten beast made of steel is going to make you cry for mercy while it paints your fort a lovely shade of red.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 08:00:35 pm »

Capybaras are also surprisingly tough (and willing to attack for some reason).  But in the real world there are very few animals that will attack you.  You can pretty much walk around anywhere and you are very unlikely to ever have a dangerous encounter.  A few notable exceptions: moose, deer, etc during mating season; hippos; tigers; crocodiles (but not alligators -- I've swum a few meters from them many times and they ignore you).  Mainly animals will only attack you if they see you as a threat, or if they are starving to death.  Things like venomous snakes are dangerous if you accidentally step on them, or if you provoke them, but usually are quite docile.  Of course you can also do stupid things like keeping food in your tent, which will provoke a bear to investigate.  But generally speaking, just wandering around will do very little to provoke animals.

I appreciate that a more dangerous situation is more fun from a game play perspective, but I really don't think it adds a lot of realism.  From my perspective, it would be fun to have more fantastic creatures that are dangerous, rather than having real life creatures act so violently.  I still find it incredible that *several* of my dwarfs died from unprovoked capybara attacks.  It just seems impossible.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »

My major problem is that huge wild animals often run away in fear when they should instead be apathetic or wander away slowly. I can understand being disturbed by Dwarves, but frightened seems a bit much.

Why are you running Mr Rhinoceros? Urist McFisherDwarf isn't that dangerous...
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 07:10:59 am »

And I think Rhinoceros is one of those that can be quite dangerous in breeding season (at least the males).  So... yeah, I think much tweaking is necessary.  It seems like it can all be done in the raws, though.  I wonder if Toady would appreciate a coordinated effort to help out -- given that it doesn't actually change anything structural in the code.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 07:19:38 am »

You can ask in the FotF thread: as of this writing the beginning of March answers haven't been posted yet, so you've got a chance to get an answer within a day or so.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 06:44:07 pm »

This is an excellent idea.  However... I wouldn't want my question to look like volunteering as I have far too much on my plate as it is (unfortunately).  It *does* seem to be an excellent opportunity for someone who is keen to contribute, though.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:05 pm »

Capybaras are also surprisingly tough (and willing to attack for some reason).  But in the real world there are very few animals that will attack you.  You can pretty much walk around anywhere and you are very unlikely to ever have a dangerous encounter.  A few notable exceptions: moose, deer, etc during mating season; hippos; tigers; crocodiles (but not alligators -- I've swum a few meters from them many times and they ignore you).  Mainly animals will only attack you if they see you as a threat, or if they are starving to death.  Things like venomous snakes are dangerous if you accidentally step on them, or if you provoke them, but usually are quite docile.  Of course you can also do stupid things like keeping food in your tent, which will provoke a bear to investigate.  But generally speaking, just wandering around will do very little to provoke animals.

I appreciate that a more dangerous situation is more fun from a game play perspective, but I really don't think it adds a lot of realism.  From my perspective, it would be fun to have more fantastic creatures that are dangerous, rather than having real life creatures act so violently.  I still find it incredible that *several* of my dwarfs died from unprovoked capybara attacks.  It just seems impossible.

It's not really with regular animals that this passivity is a problem, but rather formerly aggressive and evil fantastical creatures that now act like scared rabbits. Things like a 12,000lb evil ogre, for instance, should not act like a squirrel. The same is true of giant predators which are another form of formerly dangerous fantastical beast. I had giant jaguars running from my fortress cats. These are fantastical predatory animals the size of a small car.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 07:28:54 pm »

Most cave creatures, as I have discovered, will severely maul your dwarves and break their legs, but don't actually deliver the killing blow. (sigh) Remember when cave crocodiles would run amok in your fortress and kill 20 dwarves in quick succession? Those were the days...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 08:27:59 pm »

Most cave creatures, as I have discovered, will severely maul your dwarves and break their legs, but don't actually deliver the killing blow. (sigh) Remember when cave crocodiles would run amok in your fortress and kill 20 dwarves in quick succession? Those were the days...

I had a giant olm kill 15.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:29 am »

I had a giant olm kill 15.

Good for you!

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 04:43:13 pm »

I remember when Elephants had a taste for Dwarf blood and would mount seasonal unannounced invasions.  Now that was fun!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »

I remember when Elephants had a taste for Dwarf blood and would mount seasonal unannounced invasions.  Now that was fun!

That was much of Boatmurdered.
Pages: 1 [2]