Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Pacifist Run  (Read 1463 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
DF Pacifist Run
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:55 pm »

So like many people, Undertale has ruined traditional roguelikes for me. So how about this idea: the ability to convince anything that can speak to not attack you? That way, horribly descriptive methods of mass goblin murder is not the only way to win.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Pacifist Run
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »

Next release you can claim to be on their side before they attack. Then just play as a bard. Done.

Need festivals to come into the real world out of worldgen for an endgame but basically it's all there.

--edit
In case you were taking about Fortress mode, negotiating your way out of sieges is in the next release too. And death sliders in the release after (no death-loads o' death).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:00:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:27:27 pm »

Next release you can claim to be on their side before they attack. Then just play as a bard. Done.

Need festivals to come into the real world out of worldgen for an endgame but basically it's all there.

--edit
In case you were taking about Fortress mode, negotiating your way out of sieges is in the next release too. And death sliders in the release after (no death-loads o' death).

I need to read the patch notes more often...

Thanks!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:56 am »

So like many people, Undertale has ruined traditional roguelikes for me.

??

So how about this idea: the ability to convince anything that can speak to not attack you? That way, horribly descriptive methods of mass goblin murder is not the only way to win.

You can already ask enemies to yield and, should the fight not have escalated to no-quarter lethal, they will renege (or, indeed, you can yield with "y").

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:39:08 am »

Drawing your great axe, flexing your muscles and shouting 'yield, or face my wrath!' isn't exactly what I'd call a 'pacifist' approach.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:25:35 am »

Drawing your great axe, flexing your muscles and shouting 'yield, or face my wrath!' isn't exactly what I'd call a 'pacifist' approach.
Using "y" you can yield yourself.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:45:16 am »

Drawing your great axe, flexing your muscles and shouting 'yield, or face my wrath!' isn't exactly what I'd c niceall a 'pacifist' approach.
Using "y" you can yield yourself.
So your suggestion for a 'pacifist run' is to walk into a dark fortress, then yield? Well, you'll achieve the 'run' bit anyhow, as you'll need to run like hell or die right after yielding.

Just wait until the next version. Or play as a bard somewhere safe.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:12:55 am »

Stealth, climbing, sprinting as a thief.

Problem here is that DF doesn't have a set endgame, so the idea of"runs" is kinda odd. There's some pacifist stuff you can do, but its definitely unfinished compared to combat.
One wheel short of a wagon