Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tangledeep: 16-bit SNES-inspired dungeon crawler / roguelike (new build 3/17)  (Read 6752 times)

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello! I'm the developer for Tangledeep, an upcoming roguelike/dungeon crawler RPG for PC/OSX and (eventually) Linux. The game is inspired by the 16-bit aesthetic of some of my favorite SNES games like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, and a bit of Shiren the Wanderer as well. If you fondly remember RPGs of that time, I'm hoping you'll love this game too!

Tangledeep is about exploring a mysterious dungeon, caves and ruins that lead to the surface of a world forgotten by time. It has tactical combat with lots of abilities, 7 character jobs (and counting! plus, you can multiclass) and lots of items to find, equip, and throw at enemies. I'm trying to make it more accessible than some roguelikes by removing 'cruft' that to me is less fun (like hunger clocks and way too many keyboard commands), while enhancing the aspects I enjoy, like dynamic combat and monsters, Diablo style loot etc.

The game is currently free, and you can play it now! But it will eventually be sold on Steam. At some point between now and then it will become not-free :D

Latest Builds
WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Tangledeep-LatestWinBuild.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Tangledeep-LatestOSXBuild.zip

Twitter: http://twitter.com/TangledeepGame
Discordhttps://discord.gg/4q5kjUm

Full Dev Log @ TIGSource
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57600.0

Interested in getting email updates about the game on a regular basis? Mailing list is here!

The cast of characters so far

The first level of the dungeon

Walking test - with a successful Kickstarter, we can animate lots more!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:43:28 pm by zirconst »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Tangledeep: 16-bit SNES-inspired dungeon crawler / roguelike
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:15:58 pm »

Game looks neat. Your first post on the Bay12 Forums being a pitch and looking for backers is a lot less neat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:17 pm »

Game looks neat. Your first post on the Bay12 Forums being a pitch and looking for backers is a lot less neat.

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:08:40 pm »

I apologize - I'm not looking for backers, that isn't why I posted. I just want to spread the word about the game itself, which again is currently free. Just to back up a little bit I've been playing games for a long time, and writing music for them for most of my career. I worked on Dungeonmans which went over really well in the RL community and I'm very proud of my contributions to audio there, plus a little bit of extra design work. So last year I took the plunge and decided to pick up C# and make a game myself. It's been a lifelong dream and I'm doing it out of passion with every minute of my spare time. While it would be nice to recoup whatever money I put into it, Tangledeep could sell 100 copies and I'd still be overwhelmingly happy with simply working on it and making the best game I possibly can!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:16:16 pm »

[Deleted]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:50:43 am by MoonyTheHuman »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:49 pm »

Zero points won, still a dumb reason to join b12. Reported
WTF.   
People getting mildly annoyed over this I can understand, even if it seems a little petty. But reporting someone for sharing their game?
That's quite an overreaction, there.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 11:43:07 pm »

A bit, yeah. Dev is clearly a human.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 11:56:36 pm »

FFS. Seriously? Absolutely uncalled for and ridiculous. Games get shared here all the damned time by their devs and they tend to stick to their own topics just as much as this one has.

@Zirconst: Apologies for the rude introduction to our community. While it's generally understood that people sharing their games here become active members of the community, you obviously put a lot of love into this game and into researching where to show it off. It looks like a good time and I look forward to trying it out.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:29:24 am »

I don't even care if you think this is a joke or if you are serious, this is not okay from anyone, period.

Edit: zircon, I think your project looks great, and I appreciate your sharing it here.  While there cannot be an adequate apology for this kind of reception, I am sincerely sorry that this is how your first post was responded to.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:14:59 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:31:08 am »

Well, some people seem to think they belong to some kind of elite.

I love the old SNES RPGs and I love RLs, I guess I will love Tangledeep, too ;)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 06:02:19 am »

You'd be surprised as to how many projects are made by the devs to feed themselves as a side purpose. I believe reporting out of some misguided sense of social justice is just outright disgusting. Hope you'll be on this side as well, making ends meet and doing sales pitches not because you want to, but you have to.

Which brings me to this point; I'm more tolerant of the sales pitch, but it being the first post as well may leave a bad taste in other people's mouths and I understand where they're coming from. How about this: why not put Patreons and Kickstarters in a separate blog, which you can link and also have it double as a progress report?

Also really digging it so far; just waiting for more news on the matter.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 05:04:01 pm »

Real human replies nicely and clarifies their first post, and your response is to say it's dumb and to report them? Report them for what? Engaging with the community and trying to rectify the faux pas they made? Posts like these are the reason why Bay12 has a bad reputation and drives off developers from posting.

Hello! I'm the developer for Tangledeep, an upcoming roguelike/dungeon crawler RPG for PC/OSX and (eventually) Linux. The game is inspired by the 16-bit aesthetic of some of my favorite SNES games like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, and a bit of Shiren the Wanderer as well. If you fondly remember RPGs of that time, I'm hoping you'll love this game too!

Hello zircon, I'm a big fan of your OCRemix work. I'm very much liking what I see, and am all about roguelikes that focus on removing the "cruft", as you called it. There looks like there's a lot of potential in your vision!

My advice is to talk less about things like Steam, sales models, and Kickstarters; focus more on getting feedback for your game and starting a conversation about it. Build rapport with the community first, and address questions about monetization when they naturally come from people interested in the project.

Also, a link to a YouTube video of gameplay would go a long way towards getting people to click on a zip file from an unknown source.

Here's a link to a guy that's posted over an hour of Tangledeep gameplay from the 3-7-17 build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOkdt98-UyA
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 05:14:32 pm »

Yo, hold up. That zircon? ... yeah, now that I check, it is indeed. Hadn't even noticed when I read the OP.

I may have just become a bit more interested, ha. Definitely pretty appreciative of the OCR stuff, so taking some time off from other stuff becomes a bit easier to convince myself to do :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 05:43:50 pm »

i very much do not see where promoting a personal creative project is a bad reason to join this forum.

anyhow, game looks neat, im giving it a try :)
there is a never version then the one linked in the op btw.
just remove that build.... part from the linked url in the op to find it. im not sure if its ok if i poste a link so you haveto do it on your own.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:09:34 pm »

Shame on me.
 I can not stress jow sorry i am for that. I really dont know what got into me. I was a insensitive prick. Welome to the forums.
Pages: [1] 2 3