Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tangledeep: 16-bit SNES-inspired dungeon crawler / roguelike (new build 3/17)  (Read 6793 times)

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tangledeep: 16-bit SNES-inspired dungeon crawler / roguelike
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 03:16:30 am »

No apology necessary, I've been on the internet for awhile and I should know better! FWIW most of my time spent has been talking with people about the game on TIGsource (dev blog) and the SomethingAwful roguelike thread. I'm also on r/roguelikedev (and the Discord for it), where Kyzrati mentioned this in a recent post of "cool roguelike communities I post in" :-) Tangledeep is what I do until 4am and it's what gets me up in the morning so I got a little excited about posting first. But this seems like a great place and I'll be contributing to other threads too of course.

Anyway! I will make a gameplay video soon, I've been working on some big polish things and replacing placeholder art before I do. Hoping to clean up a bunch of the UI art as well. Also by the next build there will be some basic metagame things you can do, like banking items for retrieval on your next character (for a fee of course), a la Shiren. Also gotta write some new music...

Here are the latest builds:

WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-9-17.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-9-17.app.zip

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 04:20:30 am »

Well, some people seem to think they belong to some kind of elite.

I don't think it's anything to do with feeling part of some 'elite' so much as that people feel like they're constantly marketed-to enough elsewhere - it's practically inescapable, these days. And it could easily become the norm for that to be the case here, as well.

I agree with nenjin, but yeah, I do think Moony went too far in talking about reporting the guy. That said, I have seen Toady remove the more egregious examples of marketing from the forum (guys who've copied and pasted their sales pitch in a dozen other forums on the same day, for example, and never returned to answer questions).

I'm not promoting first-post-advertising, I just think that
... reporting out of some misguided sense of social justice is just outright disgusting. ...

Well, it seems he gave it another thought.
Shame on me.
 I can not stress jow sorry i am for that. I really dont know what got into me. I was a insensitive prick. Welome to the forums.
It was just that your reaction was inappropriate and over the top. Had this post looked any more like the many others we've seen here, I would have totally agreed with you. But here you can clearly see that he is sorry, and you can really see the passion when reading his explanation, I like that.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 08:51:01 am »

No apology necessary, I've been on the internet for awhile and I should know better! FWIW most of my time spent has been talking with people about the game on TIGsource (dev blog) and the SomethingAwful roguelike thread. I'm also on r/roguelikedev (and the Discord for it), where Kyzrati mentioned this in a recent post of "cool roguelike communities I post in" :-) Tangledeep is what I do until 4am and it's what gets me up in the morning so I got a little excited about posting first. But this seems like a great place and I'll be contributing to other threads too of course.

Anyway! I will make a gameplay video soon, I've been working on some big polish things and replacing placeholder art before I do. Hoping to clean up a bunch of the UI art as well. Also by the next build there will be some basic metagame things you can do, like banking items for retrieval on your next character (for a fee of course), a la Shiren. Also gotta write some new music...

Looks nice. Will you be publishing a Linux build?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:34:59 am »

so, i played a bit, and i like it over all.
there where a few annoyances tho:

if i buy something from the shop, it buys some random stuff i hadnt selected. not clicking the item directly but in the same line far right beside the item seems to do the trick, but its a big source of frustration.

i have no idea how to use my equipment screen. i have not found a good way to change out an equiped weapon for one i have not equiped. i found out i can drop something with d from that screen by smashing my keyboard against my head a few time. but i think you must have another way in mind to do it. maybe it would help to list the keyboard commands at the bottom of the screen.

the hud will sometimes block me from interacting with the game.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 10:49:38 am »

Oh, two more questions: What is the game written in, and will there be modding support?

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 12:00:04 pm »

Looks nice. Will you be publishing a Linux build?

Yes I definitely plan on doing a Linux build. It may take a couple months because I need to actually get and set up a Linux test bench for it and then do some research. If I connect with a publisher (no idea if that will happen) hopefully that will become easier.

if i buy something from the shop, it buys some random stuff i hadnt selected. not clicking the item directly but in the same line far right beside the item seems to do the trick, but its a big source of frustration.

i have no idea how to use my equipment screen. i have not found a good way to change out an equiped weapon for one i have not equiped. i found out i can drop something with d from that screen by smashing my keyboard against my head a few time. but i think you must have another way in mind to do it. maybe it would help to list the keyboard commands at the bottom of the screen.

the hud will sometimes block me from interacting with the game.

Sorry, UI is the biggest annoyance right now for sure! Working on it, with my UX guy sketching out a revamp of the hud completely.

Oh, two more questions: What is the game written in, and will there be modding support?

I'm using Unity (which is why the Linux port shouldn't be toooo bad...) and C#.

There will be some level of modding support. The game reads most of the key data about items, monsters, abilities, NPCs, rooms, maps (etc) from external files. With a bit of effort I should be able to let players create and import their own files to create new content. The main barrier is just making sure the data is properly validated before importing, so I might write a few simple tools for that.

In terms of code modability, like rewriting monster AI or something like that, it's not on the to-do list at the moment. But it IS theoretically possible. I would probably use Lua or something to let players safely import new code.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 03:02:08 pm »

This came up beforehand in the OP, but an easier way to do this would be to upload a zip named "latest.rar"/"latest.app.zip" and just replacing it each time a new build is released. You can do specific build downloads as you do now, but that way you can just pass around one URL and not worry about keeping it up-to-date/people downloading outdated builds because they didn't look into it.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:10 pm »

PTW. I really like the artstyle and think it would work great in a roguelike. I'm a big fan of input "simplified" roguelikes, because with sufficient thought you really shouldn't need so many keys (DoomRL is a good example of "doing it right"). UIs can be tricky, and can take up a surprising amount of dev time to ensure they don't bloat, but it's worth it (Kyzrati's Cogmind is an excellent example). I hope you can find a nice balance for both. It really enhances playability massively, even for people that are used to stuff like DF's incomprehensibly scattered menuing system

Anyway, I'll give it a go sometime today and give you some feedback on the game. Looking forward to it. Thanks for posting and surviving the initial barrage of first-post BS that tends to happen around here. You'd be surprised how often people get called on it, even though it's incredibly rare for a developer to post about their game on Bay12 and *not* come back to see how it was received. Cheers.
(I wonder if I'll get something like that when I finally post on my game? Especially since I probably will make a new account for game only related stuff.)

Just a heads up, your dev-log link in the original post doesn't actually link anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:10:56 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:36 am »

Good suggestion on the "Latest Build" links. I've updated the OP as there's a new build today (3/17) with a pretty big list of changes. Everything from general art polish (particularly UI improvements, like proper item/equipment comparison), to balance stuff, optimization, some new content - including the Banker, an NPC that can store items between characters, lots of bug fixes, and a good deal more.

Even though I have at least 7 more months of development ahead, making the game *feel* as good as possible is really important to me. It needs to have a superb level of polish and excellent feedback. So, hopefully I'm one step closer to that goal!

If you want to read the full writeup of changes, you can check it out here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57600.msg1323145#msg1323145

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube

Game has been launched on Steam!
Trailer looks AMAZING and the gameplay mechanics feel flawless! Cute mobs & environment, compelling music, feel good backstory; challenging difficulty curve forces you to spam consumables but you can inherit loot after dying and memorize attacks patterns. I give this game an 8 out of 10, but if you're a fan of old school roguelikes then this is a 10 out of 10. This game is revolutionary because it implements so many niche game mechanics flawlessly!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:18:38 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 09:03:28 am »

looking forward to checking this out

A bit, yeah. Dev is clearly a human.

a human who deserves an apology from you, as you apparently couldn't be bothered to read his OP before attacking him

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I won't, and no, that wasn't attacking.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

This does look really great, I added it to my wishlist and will probably pick it up when budget allows.

A bit, yeah. Dev is clearly a human.

a human who deserves an apology from you, as you apparently couldn't be bothered to read his OP before attacking him

I won't, and no, that wasn't attacking.
FWIW I agree with Nenjin. Joining Bay12 and making your first post about your project is not really appreciated. At least make an effort to be part of the community. That said, it was a free project so it's not as if he was selling anything at that time. No drama needed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yeah if you want to bitch at me about my feelings about forum etiquette, PM me or start a new thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking that ZeroGravitas just didn't read the posts between the first and yours, or that martian is his first language.

In other news: first post needs tidying up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3