Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dogfooding my own strategy guide  (Read 11999 times)

Leiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dogfooding my own strategy guide
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2017, 08:03:40 am »

Started my fort over (again again again) and did a new playthrough.

Couple more observations:

a) Im inclined to agree with Idog that the wooden pots are problematic
I have plenty of wood on my map, but the fact that the dwarves have to go topside to haul logs just makes it all all terribly slow.
I'm going to just not bother with wooden pots I think. I may try to switch later once I got more dwarves to spare for hauling but for now its much more efficient to use stone pots because stone is everywhere around me and quite fast to haul with wheelbarrows.

b) Another thing is that you can get the different industries set up much faster if you dont dig out all the storage rooms immedietly and just focus on digging out the big main rooms to get the industries out. Could be an idea to mention that you dont have to dig out everything in a quadrant before moving to the next. Some of those storage rooms we wont be using until later anyway.

c) I said this before but I am going to say it again: Kitchen part is REALLY annoying to set up, ugh.
Timewise it takes about as much time to set up the kitchen as it does to do all the other steps combined.

d) There seems to be a problem with one of the imagelinks in section 5. The one with the kitchen setup does not show up on my computer. The link is there and when I click on it I see the picture, but its not on the wikipage.

Other than that, it plays well!

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dogfooding my own strategy guide
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2017, 08:13:24 am »

Our 2nd winter brought us a cyclops visit. I guess actually walling off the cavern (I had carved a fortification in the other game) keeps it quiet down there.
Since I've mostly been trying to track down some bad behavior and bugs we didn't get a lot done. Hauling magma by minecart is slow business with the very deep ramps.

Minecart only needs to be magma safe, the wheelbarrows do not. Because a steel minecart is very heavy, I wound up making a 2 tile stockpile next to the magma pump as well as near the forges, toggle take from links on/off as we go through the process. It's a bit tedious, but it works.

Hit by library bug bigly :P, jobs being created to constantly store the stuff that is already there. So they run in, pick it up and put it down, and then it creates a job for the next item, over and over. Also seeing goblets still being hauled between tavern and storage frequently.

I sealed up and several mercs & giant animals came and died before the cyclops was put down by a human pikeman (but the cyclops had exhausted itself and was sleeping). Was still pulling my hair out over hauling issues and had to savescum a few times.

Finally getting past this, the cyclops killed a fisherdwarf who couldn't make it before I had to close the bridge. No visitors came, and so I was digging out a killzone and trap entrance when the cyclops killed himself, apparently by climbing a tree and falling down. So spring again and still hauling up lava, but we've got a smelter, forge and glassworks up and running.

I see oil jugs will still go back to stone tools stockpile instead of food oil stockpile right next to the press. Even with the pile set to take from the press. Very annoying. Guess I could set tools to take only from crafter.

Still much bin cancellation spam, even though it isn't as bad as older versions, it still sucks. Small binless feeder stockpiles to workshops are a must.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:16:49 am by ldog »
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]