Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ironanvil - inspired by Ironforge dwarven city (Warcraft)  (Read 4065 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironanvil - inspired by Ironforge dwarven city (Warcraft)
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:03:47 am »

Dwarf Fortress Ironavil is inspired by World of Warcraft’s Ironforge city map, rotated 45 degrees to obtain a rectangle entrance.

Day 1 began with an initial dig plan at z137.

We started with 5 miners, 1 admin, and 1 axedwarf. 
3.5 years later, our population is up to 94.  We survived 2 necro sieges, and 2 goblin sieges and a minor loyalty cascade.

Digging and Smoothing of Ironanvil is a work in progress.
From the surface z139 down to z137, we pass the Iron Gate as the main entrance of Ironanvil.
With a headroom of 3z from z137 to z135, makes z134 the surface level of sorts inside. 
The (planned) magma trench is 3z deep from z133 down to z131. 

The Roof Barracks z141
The Roof Barracks helps prevent cave adaptation, and there’s an elevated archery range too.

Beds and Office z140
We constructed small buildings outside the entrance and put some beds and offices.

Our first tavern and surface entrance z139

Dorm, Tavern, and Boneyard z138

Iron Gate z137
This main entrance became a hub of temporary workshops and forges, the trade depot, another barracks, and a temple.

Hospital, Well, Private Jail, & Cloth z137
Yes, the Jails are luxury apartments with a private well each.

Cistern & Food Service z136
We planned for the Cistern to be fed with water from the brook on the surface.  With a well, we muddied stone and made the farm and food service area.

The Commons Residential Terraces z135
These are the first residential quarters planned for Ironavil.

The Commons Plaza z134
There is a planned tavern here, a kitchen dedicate to meat and fish with the supporting workshops: fishery, butcher, tanner, and leatherworks.

Hall of Explorers - The Tombs
It became necessary to dig out the tombs from the 2 necro sieges, 2 goblin sieges, and 1 loyalty cascade in Ironavil the past 3.5 years.

As to what is next, some digging towards the first cavern and dig up towards the planned pump-stack pillar. 

Or perhaps work towards magma, and move the forge in the middle already.  Then dig a proper barracks with beds in the Commons first for the Captain of the Guard's non-existing squad.

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironanvil - inspired by Ironforge dwarven city (Warcraft)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:00:36 am »

Oaah! How many people use the Phoebus pack with a wrong icon for a "pot":
I do not know why the Phoebus pack is not fixed (in overrides).
My workaround is an edit of  df_linux/data/save/<save_file_name>/raw/objects/item_tool.txt file:

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LARGE_POT]
[NAME:pot:pots] 
[ADJECTIVE:large]
[VALUE:10]
[HARD_MAT]
[TOOL_USE:FOOD_STORAGE]
[TILE:232]                <<<<<<   here change "232" to "238"
[SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:60000]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:03:56 am by Lohakar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »

Oaah! How many people use the Phoebus pack with a wrong icon for a "pot":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks, I'll make sure I update my ini files for that. 

I started with 43.05 x32 vanilla, then copied the Phoebus files from a 43.03 install and change the ini files.

Is there a fix for minecarts also?

Donkeypunch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:11:00 am »

I just wanted to say how awesome this is.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 04:34:22 pm »

Currently still digging a e-wide tunnel, not from Forlorn Caverns, but from Military Ward area because the planned pumpstack will be near there. 

It's a bit slow process because I did a 3x5 room, smooth it, then channel the last 2x3.  This provides a 2x2 headroom for when using first person camera view in Armok Vision. 

Sad thing though, Armor Vision shows the Sky are the roof indoors.  I'll make a feedback.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:03 am »

As someone who only visited WoW once to see the movie, I can say that I have no idea what Ironforge is, but that is a really awesome megaproject. Well done!

So... mind elaborating on that loyalty cascade?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:05 am »

Someone posts a megaproject and the first comment is someone who noticed the graphic for the pot tile is wrong.

Never change Bay12.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:37:17 pm »

As someone who only visited WoW once to see the movie, I can say that I have no idea what Ironforge is, but that is a really awesome megaproject. Well done!

So... mind elaborating on that loyalty cascade?

It seems like my founders and first wave migrant group were a tight bunch of friends from spending time together training.  They are axedwarfs training and sparring in a one large 11x11+ barrack.

The rest are miners, or mason+engraver+carpenter+mechanic.  The miners are probably idle when the digging stopped so they all are acquainted in the small tavern.  Everyone else would be busy smoothing stones probably.

The 3rd year migrants came, so set I up 2 new squads: 2 sword dwarfs and 2 speardwarfs.  As soon as they got the gear and go to the barracks, a sparring axe dwarf charges and the other dodge right onto a sword dwarf.  That sword dwarf probably likes to brawl and started punching.  A few axe dwarves joined, and spear dwarfs joined the fray.

It was just a fight fight, but I saw some axe swings.  Oh crap.

The fight spilled out of the barracks, and civilians got involved, as well as some legendary miners. 

I found iron ores and coals early, so I pretty much have iron weapons and picks.

I have ordered slabs engraved on the 21st to 25ish, and slowly adding it to the tombs. 

Adding link to a post about Ironavil on What's going on in your fort thread

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:42:58 pm by Sanctume »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:15:25 pm »

I've never had a loyalty cascade on my hands. The closest I ever got was a highly trained military dwarf withdrawing from society and almost going insane because of a lack of cloth. I like to think that I am the best at managing dwarf happiness, though it sounds like what happened to you was outside of the control of anyone. Hopefully nobody died!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:16:37 pm »

First rule of loyalty cascade: lock all the doors!  Sucks to have it happen when training, because that's pretty much a guaranteed loss of half the squad :-(  I have noticed, though, that some dwarfs won't join the fray and I have speculated that it may be due to discipline.  Not sure.

I've intentionally kept were-dwarfs free in my fortress before, which is how I've gotten experienced at loyalty cascades ;-)  If you are quick, you can usually keep the casualties down down do a couple.  Doors, doors, doors.  Most important part of a fortress...