Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who else remembers this? !!SPOILERS!!  (Read 2059 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Who else remembers this? !!SPOILERS!!
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:42:30 am »

So I am an older player of DF. I played DF quite a bit a few years ago, stopped, and came back recently to see what changed and stuck around. So I was disappointed to find out that one of my favorite features had been removed from the game.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Demonic_fortress

The spoilers there are mostly removed from the game, but it still leads to other spoilers still in the game, so be wary.

So why was this removed? Who else misses it? Who else is going to install an older version of the game to see one of these again?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Who else remembers this? !!SPOILERS!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:52:31 am »

Toady removed the coding for it at some point between .34 and the release of the .40, though he doesn't remember why. That's all we know.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:38 am »

If I had to guess, some people complained about having an unmineable solid block of Slade in the middle of the map. Plus, they were kinda prone to game crashes, but so were demons in general.

I always loved preparing a squad of dwarves and raiding them. They were so awesome!

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:56 am »

I would really like to see things similar to this in the future of fortress mode. Maybe not a source of endgame fun, but rather curiousities, such as ancient burial chambers deep underground, megabeast prisons, fossilized bones of some primordial creature, ancient shrines or temples. Which you just come upon while digging, some might even contain artifacts.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:21:17 am »

I would really like to see things similar to this in the future of fortress mode. Maybe not a source of endgame fun, but rather curiousities, such as ancient burial chambers deep underground, megabeast prisons, fossilized bones of some primordial creature, ancient shrines or temples. Which you just come upon while digging, some might even contain artifacts.

Like an adamantine cell that holds some all powerful Archangel level threat.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23:19 pm »

Like an adamantine cell that holds some all powerful Archangel level threat.
Maybe not that dangerous but it would be fun to find dangerous with weaker monsters, megabeast prison would be a fun  future etc.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:33:44 pm »

If we can send a raid elsewhere in the world, which could do just as good, but not in our turf... This would also mean an non-ending game discovery :)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »

If we can send a raid elsewhere in the world, which could do just as good, but not in our turf... This would also mean an non-ending game discovery :)

(gasp) We could send dwarves to raid vaults.

I like this idea.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:25:57 pm »

World ending apocalypses are planned in certain types of worlds in certain circumstances. Dorfs will always find a way to mess up your day.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 02:21:57 am »

Yes, it is sad that it's gone from the current build. I'm sure he'll re-implement it at some point in the distant-to-never future. The code is probably floating around, somewhere.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:23 am »

Yes, it is sad that it's gone from the current build. I'm sure he'll re-implement it at some point in the distant-to-never future. The code is probably floating around, somewhere.

Since giant slade fortresses underground might be a bummer for some...

They could be like vaults. Just massive fortresses sitting on the surface, that lead deep underground through countless rooms full of zombies and demons... And at the bottom, an artifact adamantine weapon sealing the demons away.

This would be a solution because:
We'd be able to raid them fortress mode, as we have been discussing.
They could be found more easily by adventurers, which was always a problem.
There would no longer be a massive screw-you-over block of slade in the map that causes you immense lag.

Bonus points in demonic fortresses can send raids towards your fortress, with many undead and a demon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 01:21:27 am »

"This" made a story that got me into making my first ever account on this first ever forum! :P

And it is quite memorable--didn't affect FPS by a lot unless it was 'discovered' (which goes for pretty much everything in the current version--magma sea, caverns, and otherwise. Tracking of characters/pathing/# of items, the usual FPS affectors). However I do believe that given the arcs that are being worked on, it's going to make a majestic return in the future given current-version spoilers. :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 01:45:03 am »

Those things were fun to try to tackle sometimes. I always thought they got a bit absurd because of how regularly the zombies that were supposed to patrol them would get into fights with cavern wildlife and forgotten beasts. Almost every game involving one would slow to a crawl because somehow the zombies would end up catching fire and chasing critters through the caverns, setting all the cave moss ablaze for the rest of eternity.

!!crundle corpses!! Everywhere
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 08:24:57 am »

Those things were fun to try to tackle sometimes. I always thought they got a bit absurd because of how regularly the zombies that were supposed to patrol them would get into fights with cavern wildlife and forgotten beasts. Almost every game involving one would slow to a crawl because somehow the zombies would end up catching fire and chasing critters through the caverns, setting all the cave moss ablaze for the rest of eternity.

!!crundle corpses!! Everywhere

Don't forget your dorfs bringing in !!plump helmet!!s all the time.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.