Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: volunteers to test an issue.  (Read 830 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
volunteers to test an issue.
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:09 am »

Alright, I need some willing volunteers...

Here is what I came across:

While meddling with language mod(download in my signature below) I accidentally dropped the wrong copy into an fresh unpacked masterwork v 1.23.  the copy I dropped was the original set from version 1.21.  When I went in to run tests to verify the changes I made to my mod, I realized I had the smaller word set in.  So of course I scrapped the region folder, put the right set in, world generated, and went to block graphics when attempting an embark.  at this point I remembered I had forgotten to LAA the dwarf fortress.exe.  of course I face palmed but then suddenly realized a major issue.  I've since ran both the original language file and my mod file multiple times through world gen. 

It appears that
1. If I have the smaller original word list I can create all sizes of worlds, all lengths of time, all number of civs, etc; and
2a. If I have the larger word list I have to restrict size to small or pocket worlds, shortest or short time, smallest or small for civs;or
2b. If I run bigger world gens than that, they wont load to embarks. 

What I need is a verification on this.  Here is a link to the original smaller word list:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12758

I need some people to:
1. download this file;
2. put it in their raw/objects folder in a clean freshly unpacked, no LAA, version 1.23 of masterwork;
3. attempt to create large old multi civ worlds;
4. check and see if you can embark with no problems.

then redo the entire test with the large word list languages.

I need multiple tests, multiple data points.  here I have 3 computers and I hit the similar failures, either the block graphic issue, full crash on attempting to embark, or full crash during world gen saving on the highest settings for all.  I don't get it with the smaller language file, just the larger one.

I'm rather upset about this, because I ran tests on the language files when me and Meph first came up with the idea.  I had no problem testing it, but I wasn't creating anything but 5yr low civ pocket worlds, because I wanted fast world gens so I could test the language outputs quicker.  At those sizes, it apparently causes no issues.  But I need some people to verify this.

It wasn't until the language set went live in 1.23 alongside the meph tileset did we start having problems, and we all focused on the tileset because it was the graphics that seemed to be acting up.

Please and thank you for any information of tests provided.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

HydraKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: volunteers to test an issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:21:55 pm »

Specifications:
PC: W10, 4GB Ram i5
MW: 1.23, All civs active, large world, varied history, no LAA (Boxes maybe twice through out this)

Results:
Short Language - world 1 - trial 1.)
91yr world, Crash on preparing text objects after selected dwarf fortress mode.

Short Language - world 1 - trial 2.)
Embark loads successfully able to play.

Short Language - world 1 - trial 3.)
Embark loads successfully, able to play.

Short Language - world 2 - trial 4.)
250yr world, crash during first attempt going to embark screen

Short Language - world 2 - trial 5.)
Embarks successfully, plays fine

Short Language - world 3 - trial 6.)
550yr world, embarks successfully, able to play

Short language - world 3 - trial 7.)
Embarks successfully, able to play

Okay that's all I had time for today. I'll bust out a 1050 yr short language world and do the long language worlds tomorrow/sunday depending on time.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:35 pm »

thanks thats similar to what I was getting, it would crash occasionally, but reloading would be able to embark... long word versions wouldn't ever let me in.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

HydraKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:27 am »

Oh wow, I'm starting back up today. Had a hectic weekend. It'll take a couple hours but once I have them I'll post.