Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Even with LAA- It is Still Not Working  (Read 1801 times)

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Even with LAA- It is Still Not Working
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:13:04 am »

I use LAA and it still crashes all the time for me on a Pentium i7 Windows 10 with 8GB RAM.  I think there are just too many incompatible different mods being used at the same time, to where inevitable conflicts cause crashes.  I also can't get ASCII x16 to work (I was testing to see if it really was a memory issue).  The ASCIIx16 colors are usually not the Vanilla ASCII colors after I switch to ASCII x16 2D (even though I also set the color to Vanilla).  I also can't completely switch tilesets in an installation unless I first switch from 2D or STANDARD to "text will be text" and also change the "text will be text" version, and then switch back to the other graphics rendering.  Usually the ASCII color ends up being some kind of strange pastel color.  Even with ASCII graphics I'll eventually get some kind of error and it crashes to desktop instantaneously.  With Meph on a bike tour I don't see this Masterwork version becoming stable anytime soon.  For now I'm back to Vanilla 43.05, which is just as interesting and I have never had one single crash.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:15:45 am by imperator »

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Even with LAA- It is Still Not Working
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:54 pm »

I haven't had any crashes with LAA, it's working fine for me. I can't really help specifically with what your describing. Is it crashing when you pick a specific tileset? Crashing during world gen? Getting the game to even load? Mid gameplay random crashing etc? Could you give a vague run do exactly what your doing? from loading the launcher, to any specific changes, from default (Have you tried running it from default?) Have you tried running the game at a 1x1 embark with pocket sized world just to see if its a world gen issue? - Do you know you can only make world from "Design new world from advanced parameters" Using the default vanilla way will cause issues. One thing does strike me when you mention the strange pastel colour is that in the last version he added seasonal whole UI colour pallet change(The UI changes colour when a new season hits) but I thought that was specific to the meph tileset, it could be an oversight when running any other tileset than that, which would explain why i haven't had any issues but I'm sort of guessing here.

I typically run a 10x10 embark on a medium region world with 120 civs at 50 years, Hostiles and Interactions are doubled from default, I use soundsense, therapist, LAA, Under graphics on the INT part of the menu - I use Colour / Pheobus - Print mode / TWBT - Font / Masterwork - Tileset / Meph 32x32 - Win 7 64bit, 16gb ram 770gtx desktop.

Also Vanilia 43.05 is using 64bit instead of 32bit which is what the current masterwork version is using due to DF hack at the time wasn't ready to release 64bit hack to the general public which might point it towards a memory issue, but I have had no random crashing due to out of memory on the above mentioned settings :S so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why your crashing. Anyways I hope some of this helps.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:09:44 pm by zakhad »
LP'er

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:35:47 am »

Thanks.  I will look into some of this when I have time and get back to you on results.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:10:20 am »

I used the default world generation before, and I didn't realize you need to generate the world using the advanced parameters.  Do you know why this makes a difference?  So far there is no more crashing on worldgen.  Now I have to test it while in fortress mode to see if the crashing has stopped there as well.  By the way I'm using the 64 bit version just released by Amostubal for these tests of mine, which is another change.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:15:34 am »

Welp at about one year into the game it crashed during a migration wave.  Was unable to avoid the crash after reloading.  Maybe a conflict among the creature mods?  I'm starting a new world with only Meph designed mods to see if that avoids any issues.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 04:21:35 pm »

really the 64x version doesn't seem to need LAA, I've yet to invoke it, but i've been avoiding extreme memory sets.  I'm not sure what LAA would do to the 64x version.

migration wave crash?  interesting.  I wonder what they was bringing with them... There seems to be some serious failings in DFHack 43.05 beta 1... I've hit several Crash-To-Desktop, when any reaction calls create-unit or create-unit-friendly... no telling what else.  I don't have enough experience in scripting DFHack scripts yet, but I think a lot of this is in the DFHack side of things, not the masterwork side.  But I can't be sure... I'm looking for an old school DF scripter to step up and run over the scripts and see if we can fix them or if we are going to have to wait for a new update from DFHack.  I'm keeping my eye out for the next DFHack release, and watching certain scripts on their github for possible fixes.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal