Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are you building?  (Read 1948 times)

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are you building?
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

The constructions in the new version are definitely one of the most fun parts of the game.  What kinds of things are people building?

I trenched off a plateau on my map to give myself a fairly secure above-ground location.  I'm currently building several round guard towers on top of it, for no real reason besides it being cool, since projectiles don't seem to travel in the Z axis yet.  Also, I have a windmill-powered bathhouse in the middle of a Meeting Area zone, which has given happy thoughts to all my dwarves.

code:

XXXXX
    X   X
    X % X
    X % X
    X ~ X
X    XXXXX    X
    S###S

X    X   X    X

X : wall
% : pump
S : statue
# : floor grate, draining below and into moat
~ : channel, filled with water pumped up from the river

The level above has a roof over the X'ed off area, and another pump that spurts water out over the floor grates.  The level above that has a windmill that powers both pumps.  The flow is minimal; not enough to flood the world, but enough to generate a nice mist around the statue area.

I was kinda hoping that the mist would wash off the blood and mud smears on my dwarves that never seem to go away, but alas, it does not.  The all love being "comforted by a lovely waterfall" though.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you building?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

The ULTIMATE moat.

I found a hidden extra magma vent near my fort, so what I'm building is a 3x3 moat around my fortress- 3x3 on ALL SIDES- and then pouring either magma or water into it, I haven't decided.

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

If you use magma in your moat, it'll cool into obsidian unless you keep it connected to the vent where you found it.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

For fun, i made a fortress on the base of a cliff and I dug out an entire section of the cliff. Its solid rock, attached to the ground by a support. I even dug chanells to seperate it from the main area of rock. It looks like this (side view)
code:

# rock
I support
. Empty space

.###.#####
.###.#####
..I..... -> main area of fortress
##########

Oh yeah- I have a lever attached to that support. I really just wana see what happens. Heh heh heh...

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Freddybear:
<STRONG>If you use magma in your moat, it'll cool into obsidian unless you keep it connected to the vent where you found it.</STRONG>

Is this confirmed? It contradicts what I've been told.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

The only major significant construction I've attemped was this: Elf Flooding Device

It turns out that it would never drown them like I hoped, because they can just swim...  :(

Other constructions I've made consist mostly of removing the ramps around my entrance, making sure any approaching hostile will have to walk a slightly longer way to make it to my front gates.

Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

I excavated a chunk out of the mountain, which I'm going to use to build a giant 10x10 tower of microcline as high as I can get it.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Mr_Quack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

I built a 4x4 room made of platinum walls, a masterpiece bed, a platinum armor stand, weapon stand, chest, cabinet, and doors. I also filled in the empty spaces with platinum floors. All made from platinum bars.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

I made 7 beautiful fully engraved bedrooms for my starter dwarves. About a minute later I got 35 more immigrants. Guess what they wanted? Yeah. I have an entire z level on my map devoted to fully engraved bedrooms. It hurts my eyes.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

I am working on a Grand Hydro Power Plant. I found a nice 9-level waterfall, NO EVIL FISH, and some nice space to dig. I have been working on the powerplant. All in a 3x3 area. This can then be later reclaimed into a larger play area and the massive power can be used for other things. A water powered computer will also require much mechanical power as well.

I'll make it available once done, and there is magma nearby which a reclaim could stretch to.

I'll put a few fountains in, but otherwise, it's all about the power.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

I'm digging into a mountain, then I'm gonna dig the rest away after I finish my fortress, making it a tower.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

Water temple + small village outside it.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kaivosukeltaja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

In my other game I'm building an upside-down pyramid out of siltstone, expanding each side by two tiles per floor. In the other one, I built a bridge over a chasm to an area where goblins usually appear when they try to siege me. On my side the bridge is connected to only one land tile - which contains a pressure plate that will open the bridge, causing anyone who stands on it to plummet down 12 stories right into a refuse pile, waiting to be turned into ¤goblin bone crowns¤.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

The only way to enter my fortress is to ascend a natural tower and cross a canyon on a three-level silver bridge to enter a massive, four-story high meeting hall, supported by massive pillars, Moria-style.

Admittedly, the bridge is made out of granite right now, but I'm working on that.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

I'm building a nuclear missile silo.
Pages: [1] 2 3