Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What are you building?  (Read 1949 times)

Stormcaller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you building?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

The Causeway.

Basically I've got a 5-wide, several hundred long road that extends to the end of the map from my trade depot. The depot is surrounded by four, 7x7 buildings that each contain a 5x5 farm plot. The road is separated from the fortress area by a retracting bridge. I dug through a couple hills for the road, and then got the idea to make the entire thing covered, from map edge to the bridge. But then I thought, "Why stop there?"

So I'm going to collapse the remaining area of the hills over the road, and wall the whole thing in, with the exception of a couple areas for wayward caravans to reach it (although so far all trade carvans have come from the road). Then I'll cover the entire thing, and start going upwards. Further, my four farming greenhouses will go up, and connect to one another (short distances mean there's plenty of support for bridging the gaps), and then... connect them to the Causeway one level up. The bridge will still be retractable, leaving any attackers with a 3-wide moat to deal with if they want to get at me, but meanwhile I'll be able to travel freely overhead. The Causeway will be multiple stories tall, and inaccessible except by first getting past the moat and then going upstairs in one of the four towers, then exiting the towers into the connecting platforms, and from there heading into one of the levels of the Causeway. I might also add some traps to the surroundings to help ensure the doom of sieges. One idea is to moat either side of the road, and then add a few retractable bridges so that I can completely isolate the entire structure if need be.

I might even install some fortifications and siege engines, just in case we get a compatible z-level shooting upgrade.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by berent:
<STRONG>Any thoughts on building a device that could raise whales or other fish up so i can build my aquarium in the sky?

We got to float em up somehow.</STRONG>

You could always use some sort of water pressure system. (see this thread) The only problem would be preventing your whales from splattering on the ceiling...although that would be just as entertaining.  :D

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Flok Speargrabber:
<STRONG>The ULTIMATE moat.

I found a hidden extra magma vent near my fort, so what I'm building is a 3x3 moat around my fortress- 3x3 on ALL SIDES- and then pouring either magma or water into it, I haven't decided.</STRONG>

It won't cool into obsidian, but you'll probably have to do some pumping to get enough of it since there's not infinite amounts of it anymore.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

I'm building my fortress in a forest on completely flat land. All of my houses and workshops will be above ground, and the city will eventually be walled in.

My current project in it is the police station. It will have the housing for the Captain of the Guard, housing for the fortress guard and about 10 cells (these will be underground. I'm replacing the soil there with stone floors and walls and they will have metal bars for the wall facing the corridor).

I'm also working on buolding the central building. This will have stuff like housing for the mayor, treasury (filled to the brim with stuff made with imported gold) and loads of other fancy stuff.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

I'm building a giant moat around my fortress, so that every non-flying enemy is impeded with the flick of a lever.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 12:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Whale:
<STRONG>The only way to enter my fortress is to ascend a natural tower and cross a canyon on a three-level silver bridge to enter a massive, four-story high meeting hall, supported by massive pillars, Moria-style.

Admittedly, the bridge is made out of granite right now, but I'm working on that.</STRONG>

I have been WAITING for someone to build this. I kept thinking 'my god.. why has no one done this yet.. it needs to be done... someone.. anyone.. ' but i could never build anything this cool, im still a newb in terms of z levels, only yesterday did i master the fine art of stairways connecting the z levels  :D

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

I'm filling my world with wonders.  I'm still working on the first one, a pyramid, as my first attempt at it crashed and I had to start over.  It's 15 levels above ground, and there will be several below as well.  It will be filled with a dwarven city, with each level having its own purpose, but from the outside it will look impenetrable.  The adventurer will need to find the secret entrance in order to explore it.

Then I'll probably make a castle of glass, carve a statue out of a mountain, things like that.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 06:34:00 am »

Hi all, my first post in this board.

I'm currently building my fortress out of spheres, about 1 sphere for every 25 dwarfes is the estimate. They are 14 tiles wide in the middle an 14 stories high in smothed granite.Just finished the first spheres inside and currently setting up the second one. Then I'm going to carve them out of the mountain, make a separate sphere as a watertower which is going to gush out water between them creating an illusion of floating spheres in water connected with silver bridges. The entire thing will have one single entrance made solely as the entry sphere with a drawbriges. Spehere also come equipped with a gym, a battle arena in two stories (one public room with chairs looking down on a circular battle pit below it where caged creatures are to be released two my wating soldiers.

in the end I plan to build an entire sphere out of silver or gold for the king. Also this one floating in water.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 06:51:00 am »

Very nice idea, Quift.

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Karl_Delacroix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

I'm building a sky city 10 levels above the surface. The tower leading to it is made of orthoclase, the platform is made of microcline (what's done of it at least) and I plan to do the city itself in gold, since it VERY abundant in my site.
Also, I've made a 5 level deep pit around the tower, with lots of spikes in the bottom, connected to a lever which will work in repeat if anything survives. I'm planning on doing intermediate platforms in the lower levels of the tower, and I've planned to build 4 massive dawrf-shaped statues in each corner of the city, which will act (if I can make it work, as giant fountain/sniper nest    :D
I still have a long way ahead though, the platfor for the city is barely 20x20 now, and there's just a little barracks on top... The spike pit is almost finished though, just some spikes left to link to the lever.    :p

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: Karl_Delacroix ]

..like eagles on pogo sticks!

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

When your done turn cave-ins off and remove the tower. That should be interesting. Or build a huge pit underneath it filled with spikes, remove the tower then turn cave-ins on.
[EDIT]Typo[/EDIT]

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Pages: 1 2 [3]