Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: LinuxLNP Release - 0.47.04-r1 x64  (Read 176004 times)

Enay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxLNP STABLE - 0.44.12-r01 x64
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2018, 12:53:05 pm »

If I have your attention, Enay, would you consider using the second solution from this message, instead of the current sudo script? It is a very simple library that only depends on the libc, you would need to edit the df and dfhack scripts to preload it. It would let anyone debug DF even with ptrace_scope set to 1. I think it is better for the security than adding a capability to DT and it is easier to use (no root password asked, no big script that can go wrong).

I should be able to implement this on a future revision.  It seemed to work for me with the limited amount of testing I've been able to do today.  I'll run this against a fresh install of Debian to make sure before adding it to the LNP though.

I made changes to the startlnp script in the last revision to make getcap and setcap detection a little more reliable in the short-term, but it seems like the method you laid out is much nicer, since we can do away with sudo altogether.

As an FYI, I had to add "export LD_PRELOAD=set_ptracer_any.so" to ./df.  I browsed the source for PyLNP and found that the "Play Dwarf Fortress!" button launches ./df straight away.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:56 pm »

As an FYI, I had to add "export LD_PRELOAD=set_ptracer_any.so" to ./df.  I browsed the source for PyLNP and found that the "Play Dwarf Fortress!" button launches ./df straight away.

I don't know LNP, but if you use DFHack, I expect it will use the dfhack script, not the df one. dfhack already set LD_PRELOAD, so you must change the value of PRELOAD_LIB instead.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxLNP STABLE - 0.44.12-r02 x64
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2018, 06:19:50 pm »

Thankyou Clément, I have learned (a little) more.  :)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »

My Dwarf Therapist does not Connect, it says a fort is not loaded. I have tried the solution posted earlier, "sudo apt-get install qtdeclarative5-dev" which unfortunately did not help. Any pointers? I am on a Ubuntu machine but a bit of a noob to linux in general.

(I would post over on the DT thread, but I know the bundle is supposed to work more or less out of the box so I bet I screwed up something basic.)

Edit: I pulled the DT folder out of my last LNP folder and it seems to work ok for now, so my own problem is solved for the moment. If anyone cares to suggest solutions for people going forward, I will still try them for sake of troubleshooting. If not I am good either way. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:58:48 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2018, 05:03:57 pm »

Dwarf Therapist used to have a launcher script that would setup stuff as root, but it is outdated. The appimage that is now included in the LNP, does not use this script. I thought about writing a new version and including it in the appimage, but I found a better way to make it work without requiring root access. I was just discussing that with Enay. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »

Dwarf Therapist used to have a launcher script that would setup stuff as root, but it is outdated. The appimage that is now included in the LNP, does not use this script. I thought about writing a new version and including it in the appimage, but I found a better way to make it work without requiring root access. I was just discussing that with Enay. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version.

Ah, I see. Well, I have my DF and DT fix for now so I'm happy.  :D (I probably had to do the fix for the last version myself and already forgot how, to be fair, lol.) I've been using the functionality for managing dwarves that DFHack provides here and there, too, but man, the GUI for DT is just so much easier, at least until I get more familiar with that. By the way, thank you guys so much for working on this LNP.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:00 am »

mousequery doesn't care about the screen resolution (at least, not in theory). And if it did, there's no "special 5:4 mousequery" distributed outside of DFHack.

Are you having an issue with that resolution specifically? If so, does changing it to something else change anything?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2018, 10:28:21 am »

mousequery doesn't care about the screen resolution (at least, not in theory). And if it did, there's no "special 5:4 mousequery" distributed outside of DFHack.

Are you having an issue with that resolution specifically? If so, does changing it to something else change anything?
i'm having that problem with every release of LNP ever since 44.09 , where i could at least fix it by downloading a new distribution of dfhack.
every later version was unfixable.
since i seem to be the only one having this problem and the only difference between our installs (when using a freshly extracted LNP) is the resolution... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  figures.

could someone try a 1280x960 windowed (without multilevel view) to falsify my claim?

i cannot use a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution as i only got this old 5:4 screen, which works perfectly fine for all other applications in 5:4 for about 10 years now.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2018, 11:26:31 am »

Are you running DF in full-screen or windowed mode? Try toggling that setting. In windowed mode, try resizing the window and see if that fixes anything. Also, do you have intro movies turned off?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2018, 11:30:20 am »

windowed (because switching between active fullscreen processes usually is highrisk for crashes) no intro movies.
i'll try resizing.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2018, 06:09:10 am »

I am new Linux and to DF on Linux, so please excuse me if this is all obvious.

I have a clean install of Mint 19 and downloaded the latest Linux LNP.  The pack started ok to the option screens but when I went to start DF a terminal window flashed up then instantly closed and I was back at the options screen.

After some searching, it turns out I needed some additional libraries.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/64765/i-downloaded-dwarf-fortress-why-wont-it-run had the same problem

sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2:i386 libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libjpeg62:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libopenal1:i386

now DF runs fine, but I am still unable to start Dwarftherapist.  Another message message box, not a terminal window, appears but it disappears before I can understand it.

If anyone has any suggestions as to getting therapist working, or even getting the message to stick around long enough to read, I would be grateful.

I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 and DF won't run, but I'm not getting any terminal messages to let me fix the problem. I tried the above as a crapshoot but no luck. Additionally, the terminal configuration test failed for both Mate and xterm. Here's a helpful image with the unhelpful terminals: https://imgur.com/a/h8zW0wA

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2018, 07:16:35 am »

i'm on Linux Mint 18.3 too and it runs perfectly fine here.
what was necessary was:
it had to be in my user folder - it could not be started from another HDD.
for DT to run, i had to install some additional packages, but those were mentioned here before.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2018, 04:56:00 pm »

If your LNP app appears but your cannot start DF using it, you could attempt to run DF directly.

From your dwarf fortress folder,
./df
and if that fails and you cannot see a clear reason why in the output, you could try
cd libs
ldd ./DwarfFortress

to see what the libraries in use are and if any are missing.

These are just things I've had to do in the past on Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2018, 04:29:01 am »

Thanks for the help, I seem to have progress. Running df directly gave the following:

Code: [Select]
./df
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I only had libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386 which is the 32-bit version.

I couldn't seem to find the exact one in the package manager, but took a gamble that libsdl-ttf2.0-dev would include it, which it did. So now Dwarf Fortress runs, but LNP still fails the terminal configuration test, but produces no error messages to help. Does this meanDFHack won't run?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2018, 11:12:45 am »

If you put a file or a link in the dwarf fortress "libs" folder, DF will find those first. This may less risky than other options. I do not know if LNP also has a libs folder as a pathing prefix for library lookups. In my /df_linux/libs/ folder, I have these links:
Code: [Select]
[size=8pt][size=10pt][font=courier]lrwxrwxrwx 1 b       45 Sep 18 10:33 libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 b       45 Sep 18 10:39 libSDL_ttf-2.0.so -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 b       45 Sep 18 10:39 libSDL_ttf-2.0 -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0[/font][/size][/size]
I added those so it would find the right libSDL_ttf file, but I cannot recall now if I had to install a package to get that "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0" file on my system. I am no expert with Linux, so your mileage may vary.

I don't know anything about getting LNP running, but you should be able to use the "ldd" command in the same way, like "ldd LNP", to find out what the LNP app is missing for packages, then do the same for DFHack. You do need to use "ldd" on the main binary, not on the shell script typically used to load the main binary. You can text-edit the ./df file and see it calls the ./libs/DwarfFortress file, which is the reason I gave the commands to run ldd against the DwarfFortress binary...., LNP might have a similar setup of a shell and a main binary, or it might just use a script to set the environment and then call DFHack). It is likely that if you tackle the problem this way that you'll find what you need.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20