Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: LinuxLNP Release - 0.47.04-r1 x64  (Read 175965 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxLNP STABLE - 0.44.12-r03 x64
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »

You can also configure both armok vision and dfhack to use a different port.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2019, 06:13:51 pm »

Yup, setting the DFHACK_PORT environment variable or editing dfhack-config/remote-server.json are two ways to do that on the DFHack side (looks like the first takes priority). I'm not sure what needs to be done on Armok Vision's end, although it looks to me from here that it's in some INI file.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2019, 05:02:10 pm »

Under Documents\Armok Vision\Config.json, there's a setting that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
  "game": {
    "showDFScreen": false,
    "analytics": 2,
    "askToUpdatePlugin": true,
    "serverAddress": "localhost",
    "serverPort": 5000,
    "checkForUpdates": true
  },

You can change that to set AV  to connect on a different port or IP address

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2019, 04:40:20 pm »

Hello,

I finally rid myself of Windows 10.  I installed Linux (ubuntu stable version, 18 something)  a few days ago and I still have no idea what I'm doing.  I wanted to play dwarf fortress, and installed the starter pack.  I can't start Soundsense or Soundsense GTX (or whatever it is).  I also cannot start Dwarf fortress with DFHack.  Dwarf Therapist starts fine, though it does tell me that a newer version is available.

I don't know what to change, and I don't know how to find out what to change.  I'm willing to learn.

Could someone give me some advice on this?

Mathalor
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 04:44:45 pm by Mathalor »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2019, 08:11:25 am »

Hello,

I finally rid myself of Windows 10.  I installed Linux (ubuntu stable version, 18 something)  a few days ago and I still have no idea what I'm doing.  I wanted to play dwarf fortress, and installed the starter pack.  I can't start Soundsense or Soundsense GTX (or whatever it is).  I also cannot start Dwarf fortress with DFHack.  Dwarf Therapist starts fine, though it does tell me that a newer version is available.

I don't know what to change, and I don't know how to find out what to change.  I'm willing to learn.

Could someone give me some advice on this?

Mathalor
it was written somewhere, some pages before, how you install the necessary packages manually by use of the terminal.
maybe they can add that to the first post too - that'd be awesome for easier reference.
it didn't work for me without that either.

edit: totally forgot that i moved from linux mint18 to 19 didn't start DF on the new OS and DF refuses to launch now...
soundsense runs just fine.

edit2:
libQt5Qml.so.5 is provided by qt5-declarative. Assuming it is not already on your system try:

sudo apt-get install qtdeclarative5-dev

If/once that file is present and it still does not work it is a permissions issue (i.e. the workaround is not right...).  :)

Edit3:
I am new Linux and to DF on Linux, so please excuse me if this is all obvious.

I have a clean install of Mint 19 and downloaded the latest Linux LNP.  The pack started ok to the option screens but when I went to start DF a terminal window flashed up then instantly closed and I was back at the options screen.

After some searching, it turns out I needed some additional libraries.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/64765/i-downloaded-dwarf-fortress-why-wont-it-run had the same problem

sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2:i386 libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libjpeg62:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libopenal1:i386

now DF runs fine, but I am still unable to start Dwarftherapist.  Another message message box, not a terminal window, appears but it disappears before I can understand it.

If anyone has any suggestions as to getting therapist working, or even getting the message to stick around long enough to read, I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:24:33 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2019, 03:29:56 pm »

Okay, I ran both of those lines and installed the packages.  I restarted the computer.  No change.

Thank you though.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2019, 04:28:52 pm »

I feel foolish.  The LNP has a readme file, and halfway down lists more things to install.  Soundsense now works!

But not the actual game...

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2019, 09:39:40 am »

I feel foolish.  The LNP has a readme file, and halfway down lists more things to install.  Soundsense now works!

But not the actual game...

Okay, so summary of your situation - Soundsense and Dwarf Therapist work, but DFHack doesn't.  (Not clear to me if DF works without DFHack...)

Be advised I'm not running the LinuxLNP pack myself, although I am running DF on (another) linux distro. 

That said let's troubleshoot a bit.  Open a terminal in the install location of DF (probably something like ~/LinuxLNP-0.44.12-r03/df_linux/) - if you are in the right place the folder will include two files 'df' and 'dfhack.' Then run './dfhack' (return), and copy-paste the output here - if it does not lead you to solve the problem yourself - or if plain DF is not running for you use './df' and post that output as well/instead.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 06, 2019, 03:58:01 pm »

I figured out how to get around in the terminal and attempt to execute those files.  Both stated that I did not have libSDL-1.2.so.0
I tried that sudu apt command with that, but it was unable to find it.  I tried a web search for it, and found this site: https://pkgs.org/download/libSDL-1.2.so.0()(64bit)

The site does not list a version for debian / ubuntu, and I don't know how to install it from a website.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:08:46 pm by Mathalor »

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2019, 05:09:45 pm »

For searching ubuntu packages, use https://packages.ubuntu.com. For example: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=bionic&arch=amd64&mode=filename&searchon=contents&keywords=libSDL-1.2.so. But you need a few more packages than this one.

For DF specifically, the wiki has a list: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation#Install_dependencies. Start by installing these ones and try again.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2019, 06:02:24 pm »

If I install a library that I don't need, can it break my computer in some way?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:20 pm »

That's a very wide question.  If it is a package that is 'extra', that is not used by your system, then it will do no harm other than taking up a little space.

The general rule is only to install packages from your distro and not software from random places on the web (there are exceptions such as DF where you might want to 'trust' the software).  In the current context, assuming you are installing a package from your distro (as Clément recommends above and as is best practice) it should be safe.  Most distros will warn you of potential conflicts and the rare breakage that might arise from an incorrect package usually should be fixable with little more than uninstalling one package and installing another. 

At a base level a distro is a set of packages that should not have problems with each other, although there can be mutually exclusive options within a distro such as a choice of desktop environment or init system.

Again adding specifics would help get a better answer to the question.  ;)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2019, 08:43:34 pm »

Clément,

Thank you,

I went over the list on the wiki that you linked to, and there were two that I did not have.  I installed them.  I already have libsdl1.2debian installed.  So that's odd.

Feelotraveler,

Thank you as well,

A web search led me to this thread : https://askubuntu.com/questions/786300/how-to-install-all-sdl-libraries-in-ubuntu-14-04

I performed a similar search and was considering installing everything until something worked.

This is the error for both:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:53:30 pm by Mathalor »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2019, 09:09:50 pm »

Hmm, try this

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libsdl-image1.2

Any luck?

p.s. Probably want to reboot to be safe - hard to know what might get updated...

And if that still doesn't work you could try
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesaas mentioned a couple of times in this thread https://askubuntu.com/questions/226613/how-do-i-install-the-library-libsdl-image-1-2-so-0-required-to-run-dwarf-fortres
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:30:51 pm by feelotraveller »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2019, 06:27:40 am »

thanks.
i didnt try without dfhack yet, but soundsense works, dfhack doesnt.

edit: installed dependencies and it works now.

can those links to the wiki be added to the very first post? that would help alot.

packages exist parallel to eachother. you can install the most uptodate package parallel to an outdated one.
the only possible risk would be security loopholes in older packages that could then be used if someone knows which packages are installed on your system.
for this to actually being a security risk, the person would
1. need to know which packages you have installed
2. which security loopholes to exploit
3. have remote access to your system

this is one of the most unlikely scenarios.

unless you tell your system to sudo delete critically essential packages, you should be fine.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 06:33:55 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20