Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drinks for Carnivores  (Read 1257 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Drinks for Carnivores
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:29:43 am »

I've got a few Carnivore civs for Furry Fortress.  The Carnivore civs have "Grower" jobs disabled, and the _CROPS and _GARDENS trade tags disabled, the idea is that their culture never invented farming.  They do have plant gathering and brewing, so they can make booze once they arrive at a suitable site, but this means they cannot start making booze until they arrive on site, which makes it very dangerous to try embarking in places like deserts or glaciers, which is annoying, because carnivores should be ideal for colonizing places without plants. 

So I want some kind of alternative booze or drink for carnivores.  Part of my problem is that I don't completely understand what makes things available for import/embarkation, and I don't completely understand what's necessary to make some of these reactions.  It would also make sense to try and prevent some of these beverages from being made by non-carnivore civs. 

The first solution should already be available to them, Mead.  I actually don't understand why Mead is not available for trade or embarkation.  Fixing that would be a great start. 

Being able to import or embark with barrels of water would also be acceptable.  Maybe a reaction for distilled water. 

Another product is Blaand, fermented milk.  The carnivores do possess livestock, and the ability to milk them, so they should be able to produce Blaand, but I don't know how to do that. 

A fantasy solution is Blood Wine, fermented blood, which those weirdos are constantly extracting and shipping in caravans.  Alternatively, the ability to just drink the blood (which some RL carnivores like lions do) would be acceptable. 

In the same vein, alcohol made from venom is a real life thing, apparently the ethanol denatures the toxin and you're just left with crazy tasting booze. 

Looking up "weird types of booze" there also seem to be many eccentric drinks based on soaking small animals in booze.  So making booze out of captured vermin could also work. 

I guess I'd also be curious to know if I could modify the rate at which a race needs water.  Humans are thirsty animals because we regulate or body temp with sweat, but I think most animals need less water than we do and some, like camels, need very little water and some, like gazelles and lions, can live off of the moisture in their food. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Drinks for Carnivores
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:01:07 pm »

I have figured out how to add water to the list of drink materials for embark and caravans. This results in barrels of DRINK:NONE:WATER:NONE, which should be what you want right?

Unfortunately this requires editing the material lists from DFHack...

Code: [Select]
function addMatTo(mat, list)
-- Prevent multiple entries from being added to list.
-- It seems that this stuff gets saved, so if you add every time the world is loaded it
-- slowly accumulates redundant entries, leading to weirdness when ordering items from caravans.
for i = 0, #list.mat_type - 1, 1 do
if list.mat_type[i] == mat.type and list.mat_index[i] == mat.index then
return
end
end

list.mat_type:insert("#", mat.type)
list.mat_index:insert("#", mat.index)
end

local water = dfhack.matinfo.find("WATER:NONE")

for _, ent in pairs(df.global.world.entities.all) do
-- Allows you to buy normal water on embark. Cannot be stockpiled!
addMatTo(water, ent.resources.misc_mat.booze)
end

Note that using the actual water material like this results in barrels that no one will stockpile! If stockpiling is needed you will need a fake plant with a "water" booze. Since your civ won't be able to grow the plant you will need to add it to the entity list in the same way as the "real" water is added above.

Actually, if you want you can add alcohol the same way as water, simply register the alcohol materials directly. This will result in them being able to bring alcohol, but not plants or seeds.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »

I don't want to use DFHack for this mod.  Would it be possible to have a reaction that takes a bucket of water and turns into a barrel of a water-like drinkable liquid?  I would call the new drink something different, like boiled water, clean water, drinking water, distilled water.  How would that work? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:28:23 pm »

Create a plant that doesn't grow anywhere with an alcohol defined in it. Make a reaction to ferment meat. Have it result in that plant's alcohol. Same deal for your fermented milk.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:47 am »

Create a plant that doesn't grow anywhere with an alcohol defined in it. Make a reaction to ferment meat. Have it result in that plant's alcohol. Same deal for your fermented milk.

Would that work for captured vermin? 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:35 am »

Arrrgh, tried to start making blaand and I'm immediately confused. 

First of all, could I not just add an alcohol material to the domesticated animals?  I mean there's only like 7 sources of milk in the game, it seems unnecessary to use a dummy plant for it.  For blood, it makes more sense. 

Second, I do not understand how to use milk as a reagent. 

Arrrrgh, so confusing.... >:( >:( >:(

:'(

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:30:31 pm »

I don't want to use DFHack for this mod.  Would it be possible to have a reaction that takes a bucket of water and turns into a barrel of a water-like drinkable liquid?  I would call the new drink something different, like boiled water, clean water, drinking water, distilled water.  How would that work?

Easy, just use  "LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE" as the reagent (don't forget the bucket!). I can't remember if LIQUID_MISC items need to use 150 for 1 (like bars do) or not, try it and see.

One thing to keep in mind: ANY material is drinkable if it is made into a "DRINK" item (gold drinks? sure why not!). Just add the animal alcohol tag to the blood material template (for stockpiling) and add a reaction to squeeze blood from meat... (you may want to abuse the pressed/unpressed states to keep your creatures from squeezing the same piece of meat over and over).
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:23 pm »

Alright, so I've got: 
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WATER_BREW]
[NAME:distill water]
[BUILDING:STILL:W]
[REAGENT:A:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
  [CONTAINS:A]
  [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
  [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
    [DOES_NOT_ABSORB]
[PRODUCT:100:15:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:WATER_BULB:DRINK]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B]

But I'm wondering, if water is a miscellaneous liquid, doesn't the food stockpile have a slot for miscellaneous liquids, like lye?  I can see that lye and water are hardcoded.  Is there a way to define water as a miscellaneous product rather than using a plant alcohol? 

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 01:43:53 pm »

Sure, but you can't drink LIQUID_MISC items. As far as the game is concerned DRINK items are alcohol by definition. Since the only way to make a drinkable item is to make it a DRINK...