Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Mercy, a story-driven brawler  (Read 1075 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
No Mercy, a story-driven brawler
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:49:39 am »

UPDATE 9/17/2017:

You should come out to GDEX 2017 and visit us!

You should also check out our No Mercy backerkit page!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS

Hey everyone!

I used to trawl these forums all the time. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I've been off building a studio with talented people I'm close to and haven't been on for a long time.

Dwarf Fortress is the game that inspired me to study computer engineering instead of history, and these forums were a real haven for me back in college. I'm kicking myself for not having posted this a month ago, but my fledgling company (Multivarious) has successfully hit the goal for a $30,000 Kickstarter to help offset the costs of getting our second-ever "real" game, No Mercy, into early access.

We're actually entering our final 48 hours of the campaign now, and our Kickstarter backers are going to basically be our closed-beta player base. I just figured I would be remiss if I didn't give my friends at Bay12 the opportunity to be a part of this thing.
Here is the Kickstarter link!

Our current plan is to release on Steam in Early Access as soon as it's "ready" (at least as many hours-per-dollar of content, with at least some replayability) and to fully release next year (hopefully by March.)
We have already been Greenlit, so there won't be any problems getting it on Steam.

who the hek r u

We're Multivarious, based in Columbus Ohio, at the Columbus Idea Foundry. We've been making games (and doing contracts for all kinds of different entities, to pay the bills) full-time/professionally for over 3 years, but in some part-time/hobbyist capacity for closer to 7. We also help organize and support a lively local bunch of game developers called the Central Ohio Gamedev Group and run an annual gaming/dev expo called GDEX, which has been doubling in size every year and which is going to be held in the Columbus Convention Center this year for the first time!

ok but wat is no mercy please inform

No Mercy is a 3-D top-down brawler with a small-but-diverse cast of characters and a deep, varying storyline involving courage, betrayal, sacrifice, relationships, etc. All of the visuals in the game are 2-dimensional and created by our own Elentori (twitter link) and are gorgeous and stylized. The game is designed from the ground-up as a two-player local co-op game; if you're playing by yourself, you will have an AI companion the whole time.

The cast of characters will all have distinct playstyles and using different combinations will reveal different facets of the core story. There will be a bit of a strategy-game element as you travel around the forest fighting the corruption that threatens to consume it.

It's our second major endeavor. Our first game is an iOS and Android puzzle game called Hatch-It! (Incidentally, Hatch-It had it's own failed Kickstarter campaign, but we finished and released the game anyway... so we can be trusted to finish this successful one)

thats pretty cool but why are you only posting this now, 2 days is no time at all, no one will see it

Yeah I kinda dropped the ball there. I've been really busy and forgot!

I figured it can't hurt, and I at least want to give people a chance to play it who might like it and want to be part of the closed beta before the Kickstarter campaign ends.

I will likely recycle this thread as a general thread for my company and our games, unless that wouldn't be an appropriate kind of thread for this board.

Please let me know what you think! I'll do my best to chat and be as available as I can in this thread.

If you like, anyone is welcome to join our public Discord server to chat with us, or about the game, or whatever.

Thanks for everything; I've always really appreciated this community. It has done a lot for me personally.

Update: The kickstarter is over!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:11:44 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: No Mercy, a story-driven brawler
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 02:24:11 pm »

Oh hell.

I've actually been around the Columbus Idea Foundry before. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to do any donating, but I will nonetheless wish you guys a hardy good luck!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19:08 am »

Thanks a lot!

Once we get our official Kickstarter backers lined up, we're planning on keeping a slacker-backer thing open for a while and taking pre-orders.

The Columbus Idea Foundry finished their second-floor construction a couple of months ago, and there's been a lot of cool things happening around here. Multivarious has been lined up as an anchor tenant for some time. We're really excited!
I can see it now.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:33:49 pm »

Indeed! That upstairs space is just gorgeous. I snuck up there after I was finished dabbling with a little project. I hope all the new tech going up there gives you guys a wealth of new toys and methods of development. Or at the very least, you can have fun on the massive block stairs and brainstorm. ^.^
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:09:29 am »

Hi all!

I just wanted to drop a quick update. We've been working hard on the game, mostly enabled by the Kickstarter success, which has allowed us to devote several people full-time to the project while we simultaneously do our regular bill-paying contract work.

We've been revising the backend a lot (especially combat mechanics and AI) and getting our story finalized over the last 6 months. In two weeks is our major Midwest gaming and game dev expo, GDEX!

We're going to be showing off a new version of our demo there, and there will be a lot of other amazing games getting showcased by nearby developers of all stripes. Anyone around the Ohio region should really consider coming out!

The demo there will essentially be a refined version of our current public demo. We're not ready to show off anything story-related quite yet, but everything we've done to our engine in the meantime will show through. We're really close in development to getting online multiplayer going, which is when we'll really try to get it back out for people to play. We're still aiming for an early-mid 2018 release of the game! We also now have a BackerKit which is helping as well. You can buy in and get some Kickstarter rewards if you didn't get a chance to! Here is the link to the No Mercy BackerKit page

If anyone comes out to GDEX, feel free to stop by the Multivarious booth and say hello! I'm Tom, so feel free to hunt me down and we can chat about Dwarf Fortress or our game or whatever!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:12:01 am by Argembarger »
I can see it now.