Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adoption  (Read 2969 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »

Well maybe all entities and groups could create orphanages, that teach the values of said group along with skills. Church Dancers Orphanage would teach the children to believe in that one god and dancing. Unreligious troops should also be able to create orphanages. If you have a military set up an ophanage it could increase the rate of foreign born soldiers, maybe more animalmen too.
If you could tell the game in adventure mode that your place is an ophanage, then you would find babies at your doorstep and some criminal orphans would be sent to you.

I think we need a nurturing skill and a parents need to look after the children as well as a childs need to interact with the parents. Using this skill should apease a child, but mom and dad should always get a bonus. The quality of the nurturing job would impact the feeling for the child, as well as maybe teaching them bits and pieces of all skills they possess.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:45:50 am »

Well maybe all entities and groups could create orphanages, that teach the values of said group along with skills. Church Dancers Orphanage would teach the children to believe in that one god and dancing. Unreligious troops should also be able to create orphanages. If you have a military set up an ophanage it could increase the rate of foreign born soldiers, maybe more animalmen too.
If you could tell the game in adventure mode that your place is an ophanage, then you would find babies at your doorstep and some criminal orphans would be sent to you.

I think we need a nurturing skill and a parents need to look after the children as well as a childs need to interact with the parents. Using this skill should appease a child, but mom and dad should always get a bonus. The quality of the nurturing job would impact the feeling for the child, as well as maybe teaching them bits and pieces of all skills they possess.

I think they should teach the values of the historical figure that is placed in charge of the orphanage, not the values of the civilization as a whole.  Interactions with one's children in general are really the same as targeted social interactions in general, which are lacking in the more general sense. 

Completely untrue. Personalities are stored in historical figures.

They are not onloaded unless needed.  In order to have the personalities actually pass on realistically we would have to onload the characters personality data at all times and make adjustments constantly.

Where are you getting your information? It's wrong. I just checked. Here's a DFHack script to check:
Code: [Select]
totalHistFigs=0
histFigsWithPersonality=0

function histFigIsIntelligent(histFig)
    local caste=df.creature_raw.find(histFig.race).caste[histFig.caste]
    return caste.flags.CAN_SPEAK and caste.flags.CAN_LEARN
end

for i=0,#df.global.world.history.figures do --some mods use fake hist figs, this will avoid going through them
    local histFig=df.historical_figure.find(i)
    if histFig and histFigIsIntelligent(histFig) and not (histFig.flags.deity or histFig.flags.force) then
        totalHistFigs=totalHistFigs+1
        if histFig.info and histFig.info.personality then
            histFigsWithPersonality=histFigsWithPersonality+1
        else
            print(histFig.id)
        end
    end
end

print(histFigsWithPersonality/totalHistFigs)

This will get you a percentage of all the historical figures in the save who have their personality loaded in adventure mode. The result for a random world was 0.72432668279719, about 72% of all relevant hist figures in the world (i.e. intelligent, non-deity ones) having their personalities loaded in legends mode.

I am not sure what you are on about.  What you were implying is that we have the program constantly run scripts to adjust the personalities of one historical character based upon that of another related one.  It would surely work better to have a % chance of one historical figure inheriting the values of their parent/carer once we hit the trigger milestone point, though I suppose having a very, very large number of such milestone points has a similar effect.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »

No they are affirming over your assumption that personalities aren't tracked, when of course they are.

That code explicitly mentions how historical figures (which are stored by worldgen and off screen interaction) have personalities. And this can be probed when you look at the individual personalities of people who enter your site in DF'hacks GM editor.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 08:07:58 am »

No they are affirming over your assumption that personalities aren't tracked, when of course they are.

That code explicitly mentions how historical figures (which are stored by worldgen and off screen interaction) have personalities. And this can be probed when you look at the individual personalities of people who enter your site in DF'hacks GM editor.

Of course the historical figure personalities are tracked!  I was just pointing out that it would not work to constantly load said personalities to do calculations every tick for every single person influencing every other person's personality.  It seems I was wrong about the personalities not being loaded up in the sense of kept on the disk, I thought they were kept on the disk until the units were onloaded but it seems they are actually loaded into memory yet that does not however automatically make it plausible in a processing power sense to actually recalculate the personalities for everyone based upon everyone else's on a constant basis. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 09:39:40 pm »

Well, yeah, that's be quadratic at best.

On the other hand, why would anyone need ot do that? There are a wide variety of ways to make it a bunch of much smaller quadratic problems (only account for every person within the same site, only account for people who have a stored relationship).
Pages: 1 [2]