Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress should count "Hours Played"  (Read 1442 times)

sunqingyao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress should count "Hours Played"
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:07:14 pm »

Presumably I've spent hundreds to thousands of hours on this stupid awesome game, and it would be nice if I can know the exact number.

Maybe the timing data can be stored in a file such as ~/.df_log, so that updating the game don't reset the clock. You probably want to log more to make something like a df-styled punch card: https://github.com/guanqun/git-punchcard-plot#screenshot

BTW: how to embed links on this forum?

Grapefruit Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress should count "Hours Played"
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:08:23 pm »

BTW: how to embed links on this forum?

[url=http://www.example.com]like this[/url]

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:56 pm »

That's really something for a modder to add (probably very easily). It's so niche, and ignores the past 10 years of play that I really wouldn't want to see Toady wasting time on it. Imagine the complaints when someone realises that "upgrading" to the latest version wiped out their precious hours played file.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:43 pm »

Putting the game on steam and itch.io will fix this problem completely. Steam and itch.io have amazing features that would benefit Dwarf Fortress greatly like their built in music player. Dwarf Fortress has like 10 minutes of music on it. You can also take screenshots and immediately upload them to your cloud and facebook/other social media that is supported. Live streaming too! Maybe you don't trust your newbie friend when it's his turn to play the fort so you ask him to stream for you. Annnd, it'll keep track of all your hours through all future versions forever... Growing the community and helping the game reach a wider variety of people. Keeping track of your game on all those platforms/getting it all setup might prove too tedious for our guys over at bay12games though. You can actually add Dwarf Fortress too your Steam library and launch the file from there but it's kinda sketchy quite honestly and a official steam/itch.io release of this magnificent game would be quite dope  8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:01:01 am by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »

Take that passion and start a new Suggestion thread. Wouldn't want it overlooked in a thread suggesting a stopwatch app (Toady says he reads at least the opening post of each suggestion and he's never outright rejected the idea of Steam).

I mean, I can't imagine anything more tedious than live streaming Dwarf Fortress and I shudder at the thought of the new 'community', the overwhelmed bug tracker filled with thousands more duplicate bugs and suggestions, the hundreds of extra "suggestions" that ignore the aim of the program and extensive dev notes, the complaints that it's "broken" despite being decades off completion, etc, etc.

But that's just me. I'm old and close-minded. Get off my lawn.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:26:22 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:42:26 pm »

I've already sent Toady a message addressing this personally so he is aware that it is wanted at least from me. I even addressed the fact that those platforms track hours, livestreaming features, screenshot sharing/cloud storage etc. so i dont want to clog his little space of internet with shit he's already heard before, I would've considered it if it wasn't for the fact that I've sent him 10+ emails asking dumb ass questions I could've probably googled. So nah, Imma leave him alone. I personally don't care too much and actually just use the built-in .cmv files to record with anyways.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:11:00 am by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:28:58 pm »

Oh god, streaming. One of the things I truly love about this game is the lack of a need for any sort of internet connection for it to work. It is so rare to find a large, involving, interesting and continuous game in this day and age that allows me to play it when I'm out past the black stump with no hope of a web connection of any sort for a week or a month. It was a sad day when Minecraft started being an "internet required to start playing" game..... I hope that never ever happens to DF.

Don't get me wrong: I like and I understand that it's game developers trying to make a buck (they're entitled to the cashflow, they made something awesome), but it's inconvenient for me when I've paid my cash and I can't have my game until I get back from 3 months of work.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:09:41 pm »

That's really something for a modder to add (probably very easily).

Definitely not.

Okay, maybe it's easy, but not really worth the time, I feel.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:11 pm »

That's really something for a modder to add (probably very easily).

Definitely not.

Okay, maybe it's easy, but not really worth the time, I feel.
I mean. As opposed to requesting Toady to do it, as starting this thread has done.
Would much rather a modder vaguely interested in the idea wasted their time than Toady.