Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Escape Pit  (Read 1289 times)

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Escape Pit
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

Hi there, first time poster, somewhat experienced player.

I have graduated from struggling with the varied complexities of fortresses into the fun and amusing portion of the game that is screwing with your dwarves through ridiculous and often dangerous contraptions. My current project is the dwarven escape pit.

The basic idea is this. I have a complex labyrinth of mines underneath my fortress (it's an above-ground stone castle) and I abhor wasted space. I've extended a portion of my castle out over some bare landed, and currently I'm tasking my miners to channel down into the mines, which I have stocked up with food, booze, emergency workshops, stone, and wood. I have also placed beds and seed down there as well.

What I hope to eventually create is a massive tower with a staircase that spires around the main escape shaft. At the top will be a drawbridge with a single lever next to it. In the event of a siege I cannot contain (doubtful, as I have a variety of guard towers, hidden marksman fortifications, and enough traps to slaughter 4 megabeasts, and a hundred war dogs and wolves) the civilian populace will be drafted and led to the tower. My army will do its best to delay the gobboes as much as possible, but they'd be little more then a holding action.

My surviving royal guards will take positions defending the staircase to buy time for any stragglers. I will designate a new meeting area so that the remaining animals will also act as meat shields.

Once the civilians are at the top I will order the lever to be pulled, activating the draw bridge. Taking size into consideration, I will only be able to create a 4x4 escape shaft, 16 civilians at a time.

The drawbridge will retract, plummeting the no doubt terrified dwarves into the pits of my mines, and my backup fortress. At the bottom of the shaft will be a reservoir of water. With the lever pulled, a screw pump will begin draining the pit. The idea is that the water will cushion the impact (I've seen water cushion impacts that would normally break bones, but the drop I'm talking about would gib) and the pumps will empty the reservoir before any dwarves drown. The water will drain into a chamber with a pressure plate set to close the bridge behind the dwarves. Then the reservoir would reset itself while the drained water would be allowed to flood away. Thus setting up for the next set of retreating dwarves.

Any ideas or comments to add to the system? Sorry bout so much text, I'm just really excited for this system. Losing is fun, but making a comeback is more fun.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Escape Pit
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

It'll still probably be lethal to drop them...

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Won't the drawbridge just splat them against the wall?

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

I'd make sure it would retract.

As for the impact, I know that the water cushions breaking impacts. I'm just relying on the code to be simplistic enough that that is the case for all z-levels, regardless of the plummet.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

I'm just imaginating now hundreds of civilians milled to gore and boneflour by an automatic pumpingsystem.
Sounds like fun

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Hmmmmm.... Well if it works it would be brilliant.

If it fails, it will be EPICLY COOL!

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

"You will be perfectly safe in case of emergency."
"But... it doesn't look safe..."
"Nonsense, it is patented dwarven technology. Of course it is safe(tm)".
"Did you test it?"
"The first test is currently underway"

*in the background a dwarf falls down the escape pit*
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"
*splat*

"Look, perfectly safe."
"But..."
"You're next!"

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Although shattering your civilians would probably be a lot more fun, for commonsense's sake, a less-lethal way might be better. I can see the scenario play out in my head.

quote:
Dwarven PA System Operator: Code Green, Code Green! Everyone to the escape shaft!
*Mass migration*
*Utilization of dwarven escape shaft*
Half-dead Wood Burner: So, uh, how were we expected to restart an entire civilization from two nobles, a baby and an Animal Trapper with a broken spine?

You might want to test that shaft first. Also, due to time constraints you're probably not going to get a lot of dwarves to safety. Better make sure the best of the best are stationed on the contraption first.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Scorpios ]

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

If the water cushion fails you could use multiple retracting bridges one for each level. You might need to rig up a collection of water activated pressure pads to automate retracting the bridges in turns. A series of single drops ought not to be too deadly.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

This is the most brilliant system I've ever seen ever.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

"Attention:  The floor will now be retracted, and you will be dropped into water.    Remember to fall feet-first and be prepared to help small children out of the wa--OH NO!!!  FIRE IMP IN THE POOL!! SHUT IT OFF SHUT IT-- Ouch...
Shoes...

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

I wonder what it would do to the goblin AI. It functions as essentially an allknowing uber predator, homing in on all dwarves right? I wonder if it can respond to a rapid change like that.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Donkringel:
<STRONG>I wonder what it would do to the goblin AI. It functions as essentially an allknowing uber predator, homing in on all dwarves right? I wonder if it can respond to a rapid change like that.</STRONG>

Dwarven PA System Operator: Code Green, Code Green! Everyone to the escape shaft!
*Mass migration*
*Goblins watching the dwarves climb to the top of the tower*
*Utilization of dwarven escape shaft*
*Goblin crossbowmen stand at top of tower raining down hell*
*Melee goblins jump down landing on the unsuspecting dwarves*
*Fortress Death*

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Oh it leads into my underground mines. And the top seals up automatically once the pool drains. I was worried about gobbos following my dwarves, so I made the bridge seal the hole after them. All in theory at least.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

Hah, sounds like a very original project.

Good luck, Armok be with you!

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: [1] 2