Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)  (Read 44517 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok so you wake up one day and are given a box.

Inside this box is the cure for cancer. You have enough doses for a thousand people... and there is a series of books inside this box that teach you how to make and produce it inexpensively. Though they are written in a very thick scientific and medical jargon making it nearly impossible for ordinary people to read.

As well the cure is a magic bullet having absolutely no downsides and curing relatively quickly.

For the sake of this hypothetical... For whatever reason you KNOW the above information to be true.

So how do you manage to get this cure on the market as soon as possible using ONLY the resources you have right now at your disposal.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:56:05 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: You have the cure for cancer. What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:43:17 am »

Step one: Photocopy/transcribe the books to a digital medium.
Step two: Post that shit online any and every where you can.
Step three: Figure out the rest later.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:44:50 am »

I call friends whose trades are medicine and pharmacy, have them determine whether these cures have any merit to their claims and also who is the author of the cure or who its publisher is. Confirming that the cure is genuine, take up a loan or sell my house to fund clinical trial testing of the miracle cure. With the cure showing its success, with its production process being inexpensive, its proliferation would be pretty huge once its results would be known and the instructions for its production would be made public to scientific researchers. I feel that being able to show people verifiable proof that the cure works before putting the information online would be more useful than simply putting the information online

Also just to make sure that this isn't a ruse and won't just turn into I am Legend

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:00:45 am »

inb4 suicided with two bullets to the back of the head

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:14:48 am »

Yeah. Put it on the internet... and in case the government tries to suppress or shut it up, also send it to Wikileaks.

Also make a blog where you demonstrate the cure's effectiveness on 1000 people, one a day, and become a public figure so your assassination will promote your cause.
~~~
This is now the hypothetical scenarios thread. Any objections?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:24 am »

Contact a Patent lawyer.

Apply for patent.

Contact investors.

Hold trials.

Market cure.

Make millions worth of profit while saving the world.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:33:00 pm »

This is now the hypothetical scenarios thread. Any objections?

Nope none.

Though I do find it funny that for the MOST part... there is nothing you can really do.

How the heck you even co-ordinate people getting cured of cancer is beyond me. "Here take this unknown drug!"

But the internet solution is interesting and kind of works. It would take a while but a LOT faster than any alternative I can think of.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:54:35 pm by Neonivek »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:01:51 pm »

New Hypothetical Situation.

You, and only you have access to a specific machine.

The machine will permanently remove major obstacles to human civilization, but for a price.

The options are
1. - permanently remove the ability for diseases to develop antibiotic resistances (and remove all current medical resistances)
2. - humanity is provided with an infrastructure system and detailed schematics for the building and operation of fusion power generation plants.
3. - Remove all national distinctions and cultural tensions (unite the world)

Each option you choose will result in the spontaneous death of 1/3 of the world's population. (you are excluded)
You may substitute your life in payment for one of the options.

No one will ever know about your access to the machine and the decisions you make.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 04:02:06 pm »

Contact a Patent lawyer.

Apply for patent.

Contact investors.

Hold trials.

Market cure.

Contact a Patent lawyer.

Apply for patent.

Sell patent to major pharmaceutical company.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical: What do you do? (What if you had the cure for cancer)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 04:02:58 pm »

Yeah but don't you need to prove you have the cure for cancer before people will invest?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 04:13:04 pm »

Yeah but don't you need to prove you have the cure for cancer before people will invest?

Nah, that's the beauty of modern venture capitalism. You just need to find someone in the right area to go in with you (hint: I'm totally in silicon valley and would take equity in return for my time and experience).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 04:21:55 pm »

-Cancer-
I'll combine the patent plan with the mass publication plan. First, learn enough about the cure that I can basically explain how it works, and use this knowledge to clandestinely persuade the parents of local child cancer patients that I'm for real. Use my patent ownership to terrorize outlets and force them to provide at a reasonable price, ala Ben Franklin. I will also publish my identity with the cure and immediately afterward head down to the children's hospital and distribute the originals to terminal cases on camera. Do as many interviews as possible to avoid getting blackbagged, claim I invented it in my house on accident (not untrue, in a Jedi sense).

Get rich off of publicity and go to a famous medical school. Also get a publicist, that's probably important. Later, launch a political campaign in which I ominously refer to myself as "The Cure" and exterminate humanity in a nuclear holocaust support the space program. Yes. That's what I meant.

Oh yeah, and empirically prove the existence of the supernatural at some point since what the fuck where did this box come from.
The machine will permanently remove major obstacles to human civilization, but for a price.

The options are
1. - permanently remove the ability for diseases to develop antibiotic resistances (and remove all current medical resistances)
2. - humanity is provided with an infrastructure system and detailed schematics for the building and operation of fusion power generation plants.

Each option you choose will result in the spontaneous death of 1/3 of the world's population. (you are excluded)
This is clearly a malicious genie scenario. The first option will create biological symmetry and cause the extinction of all life, the second option will make us blow ourselves up and destroy civilization, and the third option will suck up everybody's souls into a giant red sphere in orbit and destroy individuality. Any of the options will assist these forms of destruction by the chaos of causing mass death, and me dying instead is to prevent me from telling anybody about the danger if there isn't mass death.

Do nothing and shout racist obscenities against aliens at the sky.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:39 am »

The options are

No one will ever know about your access to the machine and the decisions you make.
3 doesn't appeal to me. What of the many benefits of cultural diversity?
1 is nice, but is much more of a long-term benefit that few people would notice right away.
That leaves 2, which I would go with... in a bit. As an old man, I would sacrifice my own life to activate two, assuming humanity hasn't achieved fusion power by then.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:57 am »

The options are

Number 3, and probably sacrifice myself to do it.

Number 1: death is actually important for ecology, so I wouldn't touch this one.
Number 2: Too easily abused by "the powers that be"
Number 3: the only one that stands a chance of actually improving things.  Also, as a side effect, if you do number 3, you probably get number 2 and at least effective treatment methods for number 1 along with it, since everyone is apparently now cooperating instead of fighting.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 10:45:46 am »

3 doesn't appeal to me. What of the many benefits of cultural diversity?
Presumably the magic genocide box maintains the diversity, just gets rid of the tension and borders and similar such messes. All the benefits of cultural diversity without the xenophobia and murder.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38